Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Hunger Games

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,120 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

You might be surprised. We did Furry Vengeance for her 10th birthday and Hannah Montana for her 9th. All the kids watched movies without issue and had cake in the party room. There was some girl giggling, but they were all good.

However, kids trapped at the theater act a lot differently then those sitting on the living room floor watching a 37 inch TV ;) .

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:58 AM

However, kids trapped at the theater act a lot differently then those sitting on the living room floor watching a 37 inch TV ;) .

I showed this thread to my wife and she didn't think it was appropriate either. That movie is about people killing people. The next book in the series just continues in that vein and if they make a movie out of it, it will be violent too.

Rich

#23 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

The next book in the series just continues in that vein and if they make a movie out of it, it will be violent too.
Rich

Already scheduled for a November 2013 Release.

Mockingjay (3rd book) is going to be split and is scheduled to be released in November 2014 and November 2015. It will be the most violent.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

Already scheduled for a November 2013 Release.

Mockingjay (3rd book) is going to be split and is scheduled to be released in November 2014 and November 2015. It will be the most violent.

Great! I really enjoyed Hunger Games. Just started reading the book.

Rich

#25 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

Great! I really enjoyed Hunger Games. Just started reading the book.

Just my opinion, but I think the second one is the best book and will make the best movie.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#26 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

We just watched it and I'd consider it inappropriate for a 9 year old. We enjoyed the movie, but thought it was too short (at slightly over 2 hours) to really reflect what's in the book. My wife read the book, I plan to read it this week. Even without reading the book, I could see how condensed it was. Probably should have been a trilogy such as The Lord of The Rings was.

Great cast, beautifully filmed but it seemed crammed into those two hours +. All in all, we enjoyed it, but I'm really surprised that someone would want to have a party with kids that young with that particular movie as the centerpiece of the party.

Rich

First, yes it was quite condensed, but the LOTR was made into three movies because it was based on three books and the movies were really condensed versions of their respective books.

Second, Hunger games is based on Book 1 of a trilogy. There will be three more movies (Book 2 and a movie split into two parts based on book 3)

#27 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

First, yes it was quite condensed, but the LOTR was made into three movies because it was based on three books and the movies were really condensed versions of their respective books.

Second, Hunger games is based on Book 1 of a trilogy. There will be three more movies (Book 2 and a movie split into two parts based on book 3)

I've now read all three books and I still think the movie was too condensed (or compacted). I liked the third book best of all, but they really could have made two movies out of the first book. So much material packed into so little time.

I just watched the Japanese film Battle Royale, a film so close to the Hunger Games film it's hard to believe there's not lawsuits flying across the Pacific. It would seem the Japanese film was the basis for the Hunger Games books. Not nearly as polished and lush as the American film, but if you watch it, you'll clearly see what I mean.

Rich

#28 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

I've now read all three books and I still think the movie was too condensed (or compacted). I liked the third book best of all, but they really could have made two movies out of the first book. So much material packed into so little time.

This is true for just about all 'full-size' novels. The books always have many more subplots going on and much more detail. We listen to a lot of audio books when we travel and most audio book novels run from 12-18 hours in length. So, when they make a movie out of the book, a LOT has to be cut. This is why we are usually disappointed in the movie if seen after reading the book.

spam firewall