Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2012 - 2013 NFL Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
315 replies to this topic

#281 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

I'm an NFC fan, but I have a feeling the Ravens are going to dominate this game. Just my .02.
/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#282 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,055 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

I'll reluctantly be rooting for the 49ers.

Yep, I'll be rooting for the 49ers too.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#283 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

i think the ravens are gonna win this on they have been a different team since ray lewis returned and they changed oc's
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#284 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 707 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

i think the ravens are gonna win this on they have been a different team since ray lewis returned and they changed oc's

Speaking of Ray Lewis....is anyone else kind of sick and tired of all the attention he's been getting and all his crying and "dancing" :lol: not to mention everyone is so quick to forget how he was involved somehow in a murder....I mean he's a great player, can't take that away from him, but quit crying on TV and quit doing snow angels in the turf :lol:

IMO the way Tony Gonzalez went out was WAY classier....

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#285 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

Speaking of Ray Lewis....is anyone else kind of sick and tired of all the attention he's been getting and all his crying and "dancing" :lol: not to mention everyone is so quick to forget how he was involved somehow in a murder....I mean he's a great player, can't take that away from him, but quit crying on TV and quit doing snow angels in the turf :lol:

+1
DTV = Digital Television

#286 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

+2.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#287 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:58 AM

You're acting like a sore loser.

A sore loser would be whining about the Patriots not being in the Super Bowl.

Fact: The Patriots lost. The way they played, they had no business being in the Super Bowl. I'm a fan of the team, but I don't turn a blind eye to what I saw. The Patriots had 3 chances to keep good drives going that were blown - one was the tipped ball that the Ravens intercepted. At best, the Pats had a 50/50 chance at that ball (you never know where a tip will go) and were still 2 scores behind when it happened.

The other two were just plain bad plays. Welker's uncharacteristic drop and that holding call (and again, the call was right, it was the hold that was stupid).

The Ravens played well enough to get ahead of the Pats and keep them down. I don't have to like them to congratulate them.

#288 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:03 AM

That's pure nonsense. Cheating is an intentional attempt to be dishonest and get around the rules. It's immoral. Grabbing someone's jersey or accidentally crossing a line of scrimmage prematurely are rarely intentional and certainly not immoral.

What a horrible analogy. :rolleyes:

Jumping offsides is an intentional attempt to "time" the snap and get an unfair advantage. Most pass interference calls are an attempt to illegally prevent someone form having a fair chance at the ball.

Sure, some penalties are accidental - but you ask ANY football player and they'll tell you they work to push the envelope on the rules as much as possible. Some penalties are GOOD penalties in that they prevent the other team from scoring (take the 15-yards instead of the 6 points)

There's an old saying in NASCAR that applies here - "if you ain't cheatin', you ain't trying".

#289 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:07 AM

+1 about Gonazalez.

To be honest, I'd *like* to believe that Ray Lewis is a changed man. He was the epitome of the 'thug' early in his career but people CAN change. Still - paying off that family and his missing white suit from the night of the murder will probably dog him for the rest of his life.

#290 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

Jumping offsides is an intentional attempt to "time" the snap and get an unfair advantage. Most pass interference calls are an attempt to illegally prevent someone form having a fair chance at the ball.

Sure, some penalties are accidental - but you ask ANY football player and they'll tell you they work to push the envelope on the rules as much as possible. Some penalties are GOOD penalties in that they prevent the other team from scoring (take the 15-yards instead of the 6 points)

There's an old saying in NASCAR that applies here - "if you ain't cheatin', you ain't trying".

Please go watch something like table tennis if you don't understand football.
DTV = Digital Television

#291 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

Hoosier, go listen to any retired player talk about what they tried to get away with. I remember the days when players cheated in completely different ways - like hiding objects under bandages to hit other players harder. Cheating, like everything else, has evolved - certainly in the 40 years I've been watching football and other sports.

...or do you believe all those expressions of disbelief every time a player gets flagged for a penalty?

#292 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Hoosier, go listen to any retired player talk about what they tried to get away with. I remember the days when players cheated in completely different ways - like hiding objects under bandages to hit other players harder. Cheating, like everything else, has evolved - certainly in the 40 years I've been watching football and other sports.

...or do you believe all those expressions of disbelief every time a player gets flagged for a penalty?

You're acting like a sore loser. The cheaters lost. Move on.
DTV = Digital Television

#293 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Sure, some penalties are accidental - but you ask ANY football player and they'll tell you they work to push the envelope on the rules as much as possible.

"Most" players who jump offside don't do it intentionally, and "most" players who commit pass interference do not do so intentionally. They'd be benched so fast their heads would spin.

Pushing the envelope is one thing, but what it's not is cheating. Cheating is a form of lying; it's immoral. In fact, it's contrary to the 8th Commandment's prohibition on being untruthful, deceptive. I have yet to see an NFL penalty rise to the level of being prohibited by any of the 10 Commandments.

"Thou shalt not commit pass interference."

I stand by my earlier assertion that your comparing NFL penalties to cheating was a poor and incorrect analogy.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#294 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

I'll reluctantly be rooting for the 49ers.

Don't bother: We have real fans. :eek2:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#295 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

I'm a Colts fan first. That also leads me to root for Jim Harbaugh as a former Colts QB though. I've tried to follow his entire coaching career since he retired.
DTV = Digital Television

#296 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Cheating in FB is intentionally grabbing a jersey, facemask, arm, etc. when you think you can get away with it, usually because you're screened from the Refs. Other forms less clear. If the punter falls down screaming like a soccer player because he was lightly brushed, I'd call that cheating; others wouldn't.

Faking an injury to give your team time to regroup? That's also cheating.

Offsides isn't cheating; it's a penalty. Usually a stupid one.

Helmet to helmet contact- cheating? If intentional, it's almost homocidal; should be ejection. If unintentional, should be a 15 yarder. Intentionally harming an opponent is the worst sort of cheating.

#297 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

We?

Oh brother, you're one of those fans that actually thinks they're part of the team, eh?

Edited by spartanstew, 22 January 2013 - 03:20 PM.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#298 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

We?

Oh brother, you're one of those fans that actually thinks they're part of the team, eh?

?

It should be.... "thinks he's part of the team"..... Note agreement of subject and verb.

And, no.

#299 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,907 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

Cheating... like when a QB slides and deliberately lifts his leg to attempt to injure the opposing team's star safety?

Posted Image
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#300 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Careful there! That's Tom Brady :angel: you're referring to there.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

spam firewall