Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2012 - 2013 NFL Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
315 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 605 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:05 AM

pay the refs!!!

this is pathetic and last night's MNF was a joke (yet no one's laughing) :nono2:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,080 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

pay the refs!!!

this is pathetic and last night's MNF was a joke (yet no one's laughing) :nono2:

The officiating on a national broadcast stage last night was exceptionally embarrassing, especially to the NFL I'm sure.

The number of reversed calls alone probably set a record for one game.

I'm sure the "rent-a-refs" are working hard and trying...but lack the experience and knowledge that the regular guys provide....and boy does it show.

As for the game - it was pretty sloppy in and of itself.

The fact that Atlanta didn't clean Denver's clock in the first half alone from those turnovers makes one a bit suspect of their actual strength. Yes, they won, but by a ridiculously small margin given the "handouts" of turnovers. I suspect we didn't see either team's true colors for the rest of this season.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#43 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

I see two things in play here... neither of which are the replacement refs fault:

1. Most importantly, these guys (and the one gal) were literally brought in off the street and said "go ref the games" with not enough time to train and learn the NFL rules. For these refs, the pre-season was not nearly enough experience to get them ready for the regular season. Through no fault of their own, they are missing calls and being slow at getting others right.

2. A secondary thing, that reared its head clearly this weekend AND last night... The players and coaches know #1, and are trying to leverage that against these refs.

Coach Fox last night was going OFF railing at officials in the first half over a 12-men on defense call against Denver... and yet, the video clearly showed Denver did in fact have 12 men on the field... and worse, they did it again in the 2nd half BUT called a timeout before penalty that second time.

The points I'm making here are... The refs have their hands full... that's bad... but what's worse, to me, are the players and coaches trying to take advantage of the "substitute teachers" and be disrespectful in ways they wouldn't dream of with the regular refs.

It would make the job tremendously easier IF coaches and players would stay out of the NFL vs Ref strike AND would grant the replacement refs some manner of respect and not try to get away with stuff OR berate them until you get your way.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#44 OFFLINE   steve053

steve053

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

.....2. A secondary thing, that reared its head clearly this weekend AND last night... The players and coaches know #1, and are trying to leverage that against these refs.

Coach Fox last night was going OFF railing at officials in the first half over a 12-men on defense call against Denver... and yet, the video clearly showed Denver did in fact have 12 men on the field... and worse, they did it again in the 2nd half BUT called a timeout before penalty that second time.

The points I'm making here are... The refs have their hands full... that's bad... but what's worse, to me, are the players and coaches trying to take advantage of the "substitute teachers" and be disrespectful in ways they wouldn't dream of with the regular refs.

It would make the job tremendously easier IF coaches and players would stay out of the NFL vs Ref strike AND would grant the replacement refs some manner of respect and not try to get away with stuff OR berate them until you get your way.

I agree completely.

The NFL could curb some of this by sending 'warning' letters to offending coaches. Then hand out fines if the behavior continues. Wouldn't be the first time someone was fined after the fact.

I wonder if the players 'code of conduct' could fall under this as well.
HR34 hardwired to router
Panasonic 50" Plasma (TH50PX60U)
Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR707)
Harmony 670 Remote
Polk speakers /Velodyne sub

#45 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

I fell asleep during the game... seriously... so you'll have to help me out here.

IF you're referring to my earlier conversation on replay... Did they use replay to call a penalty?

IF so... then either they broke the rules to do so OR the rule has been changed since 2011. I couldn't find anything more current on the NFL Web site than 2011 for the rulebook... so I can't say if something has changed since then.

Yeah, sorry for the delay. They used replay, from a coach challenge, to show that Chicago didn't get a 12th man off the field before the snap.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#46 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

Yeah, sorry for the delay. They used replay, from a coach challenge, to show that Chicago didn't get a 12th man off the field before the snap.

There may be some exceptions then... for something concrete like a 12th man penalty where they could just look and count.

Whereas a lot of the other types of penalties are judgment calls... so maybe they did tweak the rules to allow for some kinds of penalties, but still not most.

I wish I could have found a newer version of the rules AND that their rulebook was easier to find stuff inside!

#47 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,080 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:05 AM

There may be some exceptions then... for something concrete like a 12th man penalty where they could just look and count.

Whereas a lot of the other types of penalties are judgment calls... so maybe they did tweak the rules to allow for some kinds of penalties, but still not most.

With multiple reversals, including one by an official of his own original call in the Atlanta/Denver game...the "judgment" skills in numerous cases seems to be that of a cantaloupe. The issues cited by reams of broadcasters and fans are often not "close calls". They are no-brainers in plenty of cases.

The players are complaining, the coaches are complaining, the fans are outraged, and the broadcasters reference it regularly in every NFL game.

It's an officiating circus right now - people simply have no way of knowing how game play will be judged. It also impacts the momentum and perhaps outcomes of some games. A travesty and nothing less.

The irony is how people frequently questioned the "real" officials in the past. In comparison, they look like geniuses.

Edited by hdtvfan0001, 19 September 2012 - 06:00 AM.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#48 OFFLINE   rajmarie

rajmarie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:06 AM

I am finding this season....there are tooooo many interruption. & we are just 2 weeks old in this season.

#49 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

For all the things I've pointed out bad about the replacement refs... I'm still sorry to remind people that in the past we have had MANY complaints about the "real" refs...

Remember years ago the Jets getting a touchdown that wasn't and ultimately that left Cleveland out of the playoffs on a tie-break and their coach was fired?

Remember Denver beating San Diego a few years ago when they got an extra set of downs on a penalty that didn't happen?

Remember the overtime coin toss that the ref got wrong and gave the other team the ball? The coin toss! Really?

So... let's not pretend the regular refs were infallible... and let's not pretend that we didn't have many Monday morning "how bad were those refs" rants and conversations.

Some are talking as if getting back the regular refs would mean 100% greatness and zero complaints. We know that simply isn't true.

I want this settled too... but I'm not going to feed myself the fantasy that these replacement refs are the ruination of the game yet.

#50 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,426 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

These Thursday Night games are tough on us east coasters especially when there is work tomorrow.

JACK,

#51 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

These Thursday Night games are tough on us east coasters especially when there is work tomorrow.

I'm torn... as a fan, I like having another night of NFL football and a timeslot wherein I don't have to pick which game to miss (like on Sunday when I have to switch back and forth to see parts of simultaneous games).

But it also plays havoc with my other TV viewing, all the stuff I have to DVR to watch on Friday before being backlogged again over the weekend!

And yeah, if I had to get up early on a Friday... that would be tough to do when you already don't want to go in on Friday anyway.

#52 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

I agree completely.

The NFL could curb some of this by sending 'warning' letters to offending coaches. Then hand out fines if the behavior continues. Wouldn't be the first time someone was fined after the fact.

I wonder if the players 'code of conduct' could fall under this as well.

Just saw a scroll on the bottom of the screen on ESPN that said the league has sent word to all of the coaches directing them to improve their behavior towards the replacement refs.

I can't excuse the mistakes... but you have to think the players take cues from seeing their head coach dismiss the replacement refs... so maybe IF the coaches start offering a little more respect the players will follow suit.

I saw a couple of instances in tonight's game of players fighting with opposing players and in the past I have to think regular refs would have had the courage to throw more flags and even eject some players.

I was saying to myself this weekend with some of the behavior, that I don't think it is going to stop until some players start getting ejected from games for fighting.

#53 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

Having Saints players/coaches yelling "kill the head" and making it rain from the sidelines probably doesn't help! :)
DTV = Digital Television

#54 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 567 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

The replacement refs have got to go. Non calls and blows calls are getting rediculous. Blatantly obvious calls at that.

#55 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:15 AM

I've almost never complained about referees - but last night? Oh man.

No flags for the first 10 minutes regardless of the fact that PUNCHES were being thrown in the Patriots/Ravens game.

Then a non-call when a lineman landed on top of a sliding Brady. Ok, maybe that was a bit questionable to call or not call but to have an offensive pass interference call when there were clearly legs being tangled - and the receiver was the one going to the ground? I mean both players were going for the ball and the refs robbed a damn good reception!

Then calling a measurement on 4th down when the ball was over a yard short - THEN a challenge flag on the spotting of the ball???? What is this - PeeWee level?

I couldn't stay awake beyond that point as I have to get up early in the morning. But then I hear that the winning field goal may have actually been wide?

#56 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,426 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:19 AM

No flags for the first 10 minutes regardless of the fact that PUNCHES were being thrown in the Patriots/Ravens game.

Then a non-call when a lineman landed on top of a sliding Brady. Ok, maybe that was a bit questionable to call or not call but to have an offensive pass interference call when there were clearly legs being tangled - and the receiver was the one going to the ground? I mean both players were going for the ball and the refs robbed a damn good reception!

Then calling a measurement on 4th down when the ball was over a yard short - THEN a challenge flag on the spotting of the ball???? What is this - PeeWee level?

I couldn't stay awake beyond that point as I have to get up early in the morning. But then I hear that the winning field goal may have actually been wide?

I also heard I think it was 49ers got an extra challange

JACK,

#57 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,900 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:33 AM

The replacement refs are horrible. A virgin has more knowledge and experience with sex than they have with football. The coaches know this and are taking advantage of it. It's been a ugly season and will continue to get worse.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#58 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:33 PM

I'm glad I didnt pay big bucks to watch the NFL this year...Those refs totally suck. The game isnt even fun to watch anymore.

After the ridiculous ending of the Green Bay game, I totally refuse to watch another NFL game. They are totally and absolutely the worst group of officials and replay people I have ever seen in my life. They decide who wins and who loses. Doesnt matter how the game is played. Screw the NFL.

Edited by Davenlr, 24 September 2012 - 09:50 PM.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#59 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

On one hand, it was an exciting game to watch.

On the other hand, the refs blew so many calls, including the final touchdown which was clearly an interception.

How could that ref signal touchdown when he was looking straight down at the GB player with the ball??

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#60 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,799 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

Wow, just wow. :nono2:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...