Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2012 - 2013 NFL Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
315 replies to this topic

#61 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:08 PM

The NFL should fire all the regular refs and keep the replacement. They could turn it into WWE NFL.:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

As a Packer fan, I just want to hit a zebra.

Or Roger Goodell. Right now, for keeping this lockout going, he looks like a jackass.

They're all horse's asses in my book.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#63 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

The NFL owes everyone refunds for deliberately putting an inferior product on the field. The integrity of their product is shot and it is a conscious decision.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#64 OFFLINE   sl8ty

sl8ty

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

I just cancelled Sunday Ticket. This replacement referee thing has totally ruined the NFL. The only way to voice my frustration is to let Direct and hopefully the NFL know that they will no longer get my money. I hope more people would follow suit. Everyone that paid for professional football on ST should be outraged, because whatever is being broadcast on Sunday isn't professional football.

#65 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:24 PM

For the blind NFL officials out there:

From NFL's facebook page:

BREAKING: Seahawks QB Russell Wilson becomes first NFL QB to throw game winning interception. #MNF

Attached Thumbnails

• greenbaywon.jpg

Edited by Davenlr, 24 September 2012 - 10:32 PM.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#66 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,296 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:29 PM

As a Packer fan, I just want to hit a zebra.

Or Roger Goodell. Right now, for keeping this lockout going, he looks like a jackass.

They're all horse's asses in my book.

As a Niner fan, I am right with you as that being the worst call ever. And why wasn't it overturned on the review?

And does the clear push in the back (P.I.) really get relegated to "not reviewable" even though it was part of a scoring (NOT scoring) play???
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#67 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:43 PM

For the blind NFL officials out there:

From NFL's facebook page:

After THOUSANDS of highly critical comments, they took the game winning story down.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#68 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:23 AM

As a Niner fan, I am right with you as that being the worst call ever. And why wasn't it overturned on the review?

And does the clear push in the back (P.I.) really get relegated to "not reviewable" even though it was part of a scoring (NOT scoring) play???

It wasn't overturned on review because possession calls are not reviewable via replay. That was another mistake on top of the original call, which should have been ruled an interception and touchback (end of game). It was not a simultaneous reception.

The NFL is a billion dollar industry with hundred dollar officials. For Pete's sake, they're not even using D1 officials. I personally know one of the replacement officials, a side judge from NW Indiana who also works NCAA Baseball games and who assigns the Midwest Collegiate League's umpires. The replacement officials are pulled from D2, D3, Junior College, and Arena Football League.

Pathetic, simply pathetic. For the love of the game, BRING BACK THE REGULAR OFFICIALS!

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#69 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,906 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:52 AM

Yesterday morning I posted it's been a ugly season that will continue to get worse. Last night's game proved my point. If I were in attendence I would have asked for my money back. Our beloved games are housed in billion dollar stadiums, played by multimillion dollar coaches and players with the outcome being determined by five cent referees. Roger Goodell neads to get his head out of his ass!

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#70 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:12 AM

Thank you, Roger Goodell, for getting me psyched for the baseball playoffs.

I'll watch the Packers-Saints game this Sunday. I'm a fan. But otherwise, I'm done with the NFL until they get the refs back.

I've only got so much time for sports on television and the best part of the baseball season is coming up.

#71 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,082 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:13 AM

Last night featured 3 totally blown calls that most high school refs would have called correctly.

1) First there was the interception that was called back for "roughing the passer" on a routine mid-body light tackle of Russell Wilson.

2) Second was the interference call that every announcer agreed was offensive interference.

3) We all know about the final call that was plain insane - especially after the refs claimed to have reviewed it on instant replay (in record time by the way).

If any one of those calls goes the other way, the outcome changes - not just this one call.

These were not close calls -they were no brainers. The 27-year NFL ref in the MNF booth even indicated the replay showed it was an interception at the end, and also questioned the pass interference call earlier.

If Roger Goodell doesn't over-rule the final play and change the score....the NFL will forever be tainted by this game. The season was already a joke so far...now its a disgrace. It will take years to mend the trust by players and fans over what happened last night.

For a Commissioner who is obsessed with "bounty-gate" to maintain the integrity of pro foootball...he better step in now and right this travesty wrong...otherwise impeach the guy.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#72 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:18 AM

No bigger Giants fan than me, but my heart goes out to Packer fans today. That's right up there with the worst sports calls I've ever seen.
/steve

#73 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,082 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:46 AM

No bigger Giants fan than me, but my heart goes out to Packer fans today. That's right up there with the worst sports calls I've ever seen.

Certainly a nice sentiment.

There already have been over 350 player tweets about the multiple bad calls in that game last night that literally changed the outcome of the game - players from other teams.

This transcends a specific team. It's about having any integrity left in a sport. Right now, it's known as the National Farce League.

#74 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:58 AM

If Roger Goodell doesn't over-rule the final play and change the score....the NFL will forever be tainted by this game.

I'll bet you a steak dinner that today the NFL will agree the call was blown but the outcome of the game stands. I'm trying to think of a single instance in the NFL that a blow officiating call, or multiple calls as your post points out, has caused the outcome of a game to be reversed retroactively.

You can add a bottle of good French wine to that dinner if Goodell doesn't issue significant fines against Packers players who made inflammatory Tweets last night after the game.

I can't wait to see the ratings for this Sunday's games. I'm looking for someone who will buy me a steak dinner if they aren't down at least 10% from last year. Right now, the NFL is playing joke football.

#75 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:30 AM

As a HUGE Seahawks fan here, I must say I'm sorry to all Packer Fans.. That game was ridiculous. That should have been an interception, plain and simple. What blows my mind is how great the Defense was on both sides and that will always be overshadowed from the controversy. Seahawks had "8" sacks on QB in just the 1st half, but of course no one will remember that.. SAD, just real sad!

#76 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:35 AM

You can add a bottle of good French wine to that dinner if Goodell doesn't issue significant fines against Packers players who made inflammatory Tweets last night after the game.

Saw a ticker item that said the NFL was not going to fine anyone unless they abuse the refs on the field. Don't remember if it was on ESPN or NFL Network. I was watching them both.

#77 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

It wasn't overturned on review because possession calls are not reviewable via replay. That was another mistake on top of the original call, which should have been ruled an interception and touchback (end of game). It was not a simultaneous reception.

Okay, I have multiple problems with this. First, every review of a catch is possession. Second, the NFL has never put in writing what specifically is and is not reviewable and it seems to change from week to week.. Third, the NFL is notorious for making up rules and interpretations to support whatever the situation was to back the call on the field (Mike P's videos were absolutely laughable when he was the NFL shill...the refs never made a mistake). Fourth, this year, they have ignored ALL the replay rules and have reviewed things without challenges outside the last two minutes that were not scores or turnovers, including penalties.

This year has proven what I have known about the NFL all along...they make it up as they go along.

#78 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,082 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

I'll bet you a steak dinner that today the NFL will agree the call was blown but the outcome of the game stands. I'm trying to think of a single instance in the NFL that a blow officiating call, or multiple calls as your post points out, has caused the outcome of a game to be reversed retroactively.

I can't wait to see the ratings for this Sunday's games. I'm looking for someone who will buy me a steak dinner if they aren't down at least 10% from last year. Right now, the NFL is playing joke football.

Under normal circumstances....you're likely spot on.

Last night was considered once-in-a-lifetime situation where all announcers and almost all national press agreed about this situation shown on national TV. Those situations call for once-in-a-lifetime remedy. If that doesn't happen, look for the National Farce League to keep that name indefinitely in the sports world and fandom.

#79 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 712 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

One of the Packers players tweeted to "give his fine to pay the old refs to come back" or something like that :lol:

No, they'll just fine Alex Smith for wearing a SF Giants hat at a press conference :nono2:

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#80 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

The NFL has made their decision. Here's the press release.

They say offensive pass interference should have been called on Golden Tate against Sam Shields. That should have ended the game with Green Bay winning.

But that is not reviewable. The non-call stands.

A simultaneous catch in the end zone is reviewable. The NFL stands behind the call as made and reviewed. It will not be reversed.

The result of last night's decision is affirmed. Seattle wins the game, 14-12.

hdtvfan0001, you're lucky you didn't bet me. The NFL said the wrong call was made but the decision of the refs at the time remains.

I'm really sorry I was right.

Edited by Carl Spock, 25 September 2012 - 10:50 AM.
bad link

Protected By... spam firewall...And...