Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2012 - 2013 NFL Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
315 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,427 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:51 PM

I hope that Green Bay loss costs a playoff spot for one of these high profile owners.

JACK,

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

Vader, there is a great story about the baseball owners, who are similarly small minded men, only concerned that the commissioner keeps them rich, in the excellent book, The Lords of the Realm, by John Helyer. That book is about the baseball owners and the rise of the union, and because of that is a little dated, but is still a wonderful read. Find it at your library and enjoy. You'll learn tidbits like the reason Harry Carey was fired by the St. Louis Cardinals was because he was shtupping Auggie Busch's wife.

Anyway, when Ted Turner became owner of the Atlanta Braves, he was definitely the odd man out at the baseball meetings. He wasn't a rich patriarch like most of the other owners. He'd argue with them and lose most of the arguments. After one particularly frustrating meeting, Ted Turner stood up and bellowed at his fellow owners, "Gentlemen, we have the only legal monopoly in sports and we're f***ing it up!"

The football owners seem equally closed minded. With maybe one or two exceptions, the integrity of the games means a lot less to them than keeping their pocketbooks full. Keep the cash flowing and their luxury boxes comfortable and they'll be happy.

Where's Al Davis when we need him?

Six feet under.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#103 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

Im sure glad Xfinity added CSS-HD yesterday. Now I can watch all the SEC college replay games Sunday instead of the NFL crap. I'm done with the NFL until they get the rent a refs off the field. Although, it does make for an interesting comedy/reality show, if you are into that type programming.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#104 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

This pretty much says everything. The Lingerie League issued a statement that several referees that are acting as NFL replacements were previously fired from the LFL for incompetence.

http://deadspin.com/...of-incompetence

#105 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:59 PM

:D

I saw this today. Actually, I heard it first mentioned the past week on Dan Patrick's show on the 101. When he kept talking about the Lingerie League, I assumed it was a joking name for something like arena football. No, he was talking about the Lingerie League.

If I was an NFL player and risking my safety out on the field, I would be very concerned.

#106 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:59 PM

This pretty much says everything. The Lingerie League issued a statement that several referees that are acting as NFL replacements were previously fired from the LFL for incompetence.

http://deadspin.com/...of-incompetence

That might be excusable.:)

#107 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

I hope that Green Bay loss costs a playoff spot for one of these high profile owners.

The whole state of Wisconsin.

#108 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

I'm a high profile owner with 4 Packer shares...does that count? :D

Actually, I'd prefer it cost the Commish HIS job.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#109 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

No way. Not until he makes those Saints suspensions stick anyway... :)
DTV = Digital Television

#110 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,861 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

Problem, though... it isn't the "commish" at fault here. He's just delivering the line agreed upon by the NFL owners.

Goodell didn't decide to lockout the refs anymore than he decided to lockout the players. The owners did that... and had Goodell deliver the message.

IF Goodell takes the heat, that's fine because he gets $20 million a year to take the heat... but fired? No way... IF the league tried to dump this on Goodell, that would be worse than what they are doing here thinking we are all stupid and accepting the replacements... to try and make the public think Goodell is to blame would be the height of arrogance.

IF they fired him at the end of this... then the NFL will only prove just how disconnected their owners truly are from reality.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#111 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:39 AM

Problem, though... it isn't the "commish" at fault here. He's just delivering the line agreed upon by the NFL owners.

He's empowered to make decisions, especially the tough ones. Look at the fiasco with the whole bounty escapade...he was judge, jury, and executioner on that despite even court challenges to his authority.

Nothing prevents him from saying "you know what...the integrity of the game is in jeopardy by the incorrect results of the MNF situation, and since known rules were implemented wrong (with evidence) and it was applied by temp refs...I am reversing the outcome.

That's called leadership, and only his ego prevents him from doing it. Right now, he's part of the problem and none of the solution.

#112 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

Goodell didn't decide to lockout the refs anymore than he decided to lockout the players. The owners did that... and had Goodell deliver the message.

IF Goodell takes the heat, that's fine because he gets $20 million a year to take the heat... but fired? No way... IF the league tried to dump this on Goodell, that would be worse than what they are doing here thinking we are all stupid and accepting the replacements... to try and make the public think Goodell is to blame would be the height of arrogance.

IF they fired him at the end of this... then the NFL will only prove just how disconnected their owners truly are from reality.

Which ticks me off even more about him. No integrity. He doesn't need this job. Tell the truth. Do the right thing. If he says they need the refs back and the owners fire him, he is a hero. But, no. He will continue for the money that he really doesn't need.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#113 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

He's empowered to make decisions, especially the tough ones. Look at the fiasco with the whole bounty escapade...he was judge, jury, and executioner on that despite even court challenges to his authority.

Nothing prevents him from saying "you know what...the integrity of the game is in jeopardy by the incorrect results of the MNF situation, and since known rules were implemented wrong (with evidence) and it was applied by temp refs...I am reversing the outcome.

That's called leadership, and only his ego prevents him from doing it. Right now, he's part of the problem and none of the solution.

He can't reverse the outcome because it was a judgment call, and NFL rules do not permit the commissioner to overturn judgment calls.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#114 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

He can't reverse the outcome because it was a judgment call, and NFL rules do not permit the commissioner to overturn judgment calls.

Actually he can.

In this case...with rent-a-refs at the wheel...he is empowered to determine that a rule was not followed and over-ride it. One such rule includes following procedures for instant replay, as well as referee consultations.

It comes down to: If he wanted to....he could.

What's clear is he has neither the intent or leadership skills to do anything and take the easy way out.

For a guy who promotes himself as being intensely interested in "the integrity of the game", he's a major league wuss in this case.

#115 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

He cannot determine a rule was not followed in this situation. It was a judgment call, good or bad. Consequently, per the NFL rules, it cannot be overturned. Nor should it be in this situation. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#116 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

He cannot determine a rule was not followed in this situation. It was a judgment call, good or bad. Consequently, per the NFL rules, it cannot be overturned. Nor should it be in this situation. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

#117 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:19 AM

It's not a question of agreeing or disagreeing; it's a question of what can or can't be done per the rules. I don't like the situation any more than you do, but the commissioner can't do as he pleases when specifically not permitted to do something like change a judgment call. That would make things worse.

#118 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:20 AM

Whether he can or not, the commissioner shouldn't overturn the decision.

That would keep us all just living in the past. Instead, the Packers have to get ready for the Saints this Sunday and Goodell has to settle this damn lockout.

It's over. It's done. It's time to play NFL football with the regular refs. The parties should focus on that.

#119 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

It's over. It's done. It's time to play NFL football with the regular refs. The parties should focus on that.

Yup.

#120 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

Finally! The NFL and the Officials have reached an agreement "in principle."

Protected By... spam firewall...And...