Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2012 - 2013 NFL Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
315 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

Shouldn't that be "without principles"? I bet we'll find the NFL caved to get these guys back on the field. The lockout had become an embarassment for the league.

In any case, I'm glad it's over.

It's time to sing the Star Spangled Banner and play a game.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#122 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

Indeed.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#123 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,537 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

Just to bottom line my earlier point...

Anything you think Goodell is doing on his own (Bounty thing, refs, issuing fines, etc.) you can be assured he is NOT acting on his own.

The owners hired him to do a job... they gave him some leeway in that job probably... but he also knows IF he does something that most of the owners do not like, it will be his head on the platter.

So... any time you see Goodell "acting alone" and being "judge, jury, etc." you should know that he isn't acting alone... and that the majority of the owners back the decision... or he wouldn't be taking those actions.

So, yes... he could step out and say "this isn't good for the game" and it wouldn't make a difference, because he would be fired on the spot for insubordination and replaced and the league would keep doing what it is doing.

I'm not saying he is a great and wonderful and principled man... I'm just saying he isn't alone in a vacuum. Ever word he utters has the backing of most of the owners. If he didn't, you would know it.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#124 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

I don't know if Goodell be fired on the spot. That's a bit dramatic. But leadership in that office on a controversial issue.

Pete Rozelle is one model. He pushed the owners to accept revenue sharing and merger of the AFL and NFL into one league. He wasn't anybody's lap dog. Under his leadership, the NFL even sued one of the owners, Al Davis, to keep his team from moving from Oakland to Los Angeles. Rozelle made the NFL into the juggernaut it is today. When he took over the job as commissioner, the NFL was a third class league, behind both baseball and the NBA. Under his leadership, it became the most popular sport in America.

The one thing Rozelle was always conscious of was making sure the owners made money. He made them a ton of money and got their support because of that.

The other extreme is Fay Vincent. As baseball commissioner, he rubbed the owners the wrong way, so much that he was fired after three years. The owners then hired one of their own, Bud Selig, to take his job. Selig has served the owner's interests for two decades now.

Fay Vincent's biggest failure was money. Although he was personally popular with the fans, Vincent screwed up the television contract. He cost the owners money and lost his job.

See a trend here?

Edited by Carl Spock, 26 September 2012 - 01:38 PM.

#125 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

I went to read a story on ESPN.COM about the negotiations, and got this:

The following content is exclusive to ESPN Insiders

Not enough that I already pay two providers for their content, but now they want me to pay $3.33 per month to read their website? ESPN...you can KMA just like the NFL. Greed is going to be the downfall of this country.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#126 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

Indeed. It's one of the 7 Deadly Sins, is it not? ;)

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#127 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,671 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

It would have to be better getting the regular refs back, so let's hope that occurs.

However, the NFL's severly damaged reputation and direct impact to this year's outcome are forever tainted regardless.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#128 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:15 PM

According to an ESPN report I saw earlier today, the NFL's ratings are up this year. So much for fans being so pissed that they're avoiding the game. :rolleyes:

#129 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,671 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

According to an ESPN report I saw earlier today, the NFL's ratings are up this year. So much for fans being so pissed that they're avoiding the game. :rolleyes:

So is Pro Wrestling...and that's pretty much equally "real". :D

#130 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

However, the NFL's severly damaged reputation and direct impact to this year's outcome are forever tainted regardless.

forever tainted? If the regular refs do come back this weekend, most football fans will forget all about the replacement refs in about 3 weeks.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#131 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,980 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

forever tainted? If the regular refs do come back this weekend, most football fans will forget all about the replacement refs in about 3 weeks.

Even if they don't, I suspect that fans whose teams didn't make it to the playoffs and were legit pre-season likelies will be sure that it was because of the reffing. Those whose teams do well will forget all about it.

I am sick for the Packers, players and fans. What a ____ job.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#132 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

http://sportsillustr...com/?xid=cnnnav

The lockout is OVER. The Union refs and NFL agreed on contract and will return to the field.

Whew.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#133 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:53 PM

It was funny that Mort was saying a deal was near on ESPN hours ago and Peter King with SI was pushing back saying a deal was not imminent at the same time. Then ESPN had word that a deal was done long before SI would say the same.
DTV = Digital Television

#134 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:42 AM

Boy, the referees sure won on this deal. But then, for it to come together this quickly, the owners had to cave.

I heard this morning on that the settlement cost each owner about $100,000 a year. I bet that's Jerry Jones' electric bill for his scoreboard alone. When you have billion dollar franchises, you wonder what they were fighting about in the first place?

This is why I blame Roger Goodell. Pete Rozelle would never have let a situation this solvable get so out of hand.

#135 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,919 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

We have a lot of Packers fans on our great site .... Are you gentlemen ok?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#136 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

The Colts were playing for their coach they deserved to win

JACK,

#137 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

I'm mobile today and not watching. What's going on with the Packers?

#138 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,919 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

They were playing for their coach

Yeah that was truly an inspirational victory.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#139 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,671 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Sure...no problem.

We're getting used to officials missing calls to decide games this season.

#140 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

What happened, gentlemen?

spam firewall