Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cinema connection kit - want wired not wireless

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AZ_Engineer

AZ_Engineer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

I've been reading here all afternoon and from what I've learned;
1) Directv wants everyone to use the Cinema connection kit.
2) The kit is wifi only, seems crazy, as wifi is much slower than wired.
3) I have gigabit ethernet to my cabinet. I currently use two HR22s connected via ethernet. I have whole home running but it's become shaky.
4) I've read that with the HR34 you don't really need the CCK, but I've also read from some that it's not as robust as with the CCK.

I think what I want is a wired CCK and not a wireless. Is there such a device?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,737 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:32 PM

I believe that this is the latest "Wired" connection.
http://www.solidsign...-DECA--(DCA2SR0)

This is a link to the manual for the CCK-W
http://manuals.solid...User_Manual.pdf

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,399 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

Yes there is a CCK that isn't WiFi, but it only comes from the installer, and not from the DirecTV website, or the self installed.
Now just because you have a WCCK, since it also has an ethernet jack, there's no reason it can be hardwired.

You may have a nice/great "gigabit ethernet", since the receivers are 100 Mb/s, you can't use it.
I've using the WiFi DECA and it has "more than enough" bandwidth for what it does.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

I've been reading here all afternoon and from what I've learned;

2) The kit is wifi only, seems crazy, as wifi is much slower than wired.

I think what I want is a wired CCK and not a wireless. Is there such a device?

Tech's bring out wired CCK's or Wireless. DirecTv ships out Wireless to customers.

The Wireless CCK can be used either way. An Engineer shouldn't have problems reading.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#5 OFFLINE   AZ_Engineer

AZ_Engineer

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

Tech's bring out wired CCK's or Wireless. DirecTv ships out Wireless to customers.

The Wireless CCK can be used either way. An Engineer shouldn't have problems reading.

I am assuming the the internet is used also for streaming content on demand. is this not the case?

#6 OFFLINE   AZ_Engineer

AZ_Engineer

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

I've read lots about the wireless CCK and it does not have ethernet in. Many posts about this and the pictures of the wireless CCK show no ethernet in. Also the video they have says wireless only.

Can you point me to something that says wireless and wired both with the wifi CCK?

#7 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,399 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:51 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1331485689

There isn't anything in the manual for this, but "it works".
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,916 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

I have been using my WCCK in wired mode for several months. It works fine.

#9 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

I've read lots about the wireless CCK and it does not have ethernet in. Many posts about this and the pictures of the wireless CCK show no ethernet in. Also the video they have says wireless only.

Can you point me to something that says wireless and wired both with the wifi CCK?

You can read through this

http://hr20.dbstalk...._First_Look.pdf

Or this

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=193851

Or just take my word.

Many posts about this and the pictures of the wireless CCK show no ethernet in.

Some things are two way. Like streets.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#10 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

I am assuming the the internet is used also for streaming content on demand. is this not the case?

Not really....

DirecTV doesn't actually "stream" content like Netlfix and some others do.....DirecTV downloads it's content to your DVR for you to watch "later"

Now...if your internet gives you a good solid stream of data at 6mbps or greater, "later" for you may only few a few minutes if you're recording HD content.

I start an on-demand recording, go to the kitchen to pour myself a cold drink, and when I get back...I'm good to go. (Running 20mbps service and feeding my DVR via my wifi).

#11 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,817 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:17 PM

The "new" (but based on an old idea) wired CCK installed by the technicians is actually just a receiver DECA II with a power supply arrangement shown here;

http://www.dbstalk.c...54&d=1341827331

However, if you want the older wired CCK purposely made for that function (BB1MR0-01), though no longer in production, may still be located for cheap at places such as e-bay here;

http://www.ebay.com/...2b#ht_862wt_722

#12 OFFLINE   viclovr

viclovr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

since your on the subject on the cckw. just wondering, if two neigbors both have directv with mrv. (with permission from the neigbor of course) is it possible to connect one persons system using the cckw to the neigbors network and pull the recordings off the neigbors hdvr?

or to make it simple. same question but both people connected to the same swm system.

Edited by viclovr, 05 September 2012 - 10:34 PM.

I may not know as much as the experts but neither did the experts when they themselves were novices.

#13 OFFLINE   viclovr

viclovr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

The "new" (but based on an old idea) wired CCK installed by the technicians is actually just a receiver DECA II with a power supply arrangement shown here;

http://www.dbstalk.c...54&d=1341827331

However, if you want the older wired CCK purposely made for that function (BB1MR0-01), though no longer in production, may still be located for cheap at places such as e-bay here;

http://www.ebay.com/...2b#ht_862wt_722

or this
http://www.solidsign...Components&sku=
I may not know as much as the experts but neither did the experts when they themselves were novices.

#14 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,817 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

or this
http://www.solidsign...Components&sku=

Or this?

"Our Price: $47.99" vs. $12.99 from the e-bay link?

For purposes of illustration perhaps, but not for purchase ... :nono2:

I like Solid Signal for their product line and other work they do, but their pricing is for the birds on many items at times.

#15 OFFLINE   viclovr

viclovr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:39 PM

Or this?

"Our Price: $47.99" vs. $12.99 from the e-bay link?

For purposes of illustration perhaps, but not for purchase ... :nono2:

I like Solid Signal for their product line and other work they do, but their pricing is for the birds on many items at times.

its an option:D

as a side note, personally i would recommend the cck over the deca. id rather use something purposely built for the job.
but nothin wrong using the deca if thats what u prefer.

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,738 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:14 AM

In response to post 12: Against TOS.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#17 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:17 AM

I have one of the old wired CCK's that is brand new and never used. I switched from unsupported MRV using my wired Ethernet to supported MRV when I installed my HR34. Since the HR34 can act as a CCK I no longer need the wired CCK that I bought. Please PM me if you are interested.
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#18 OFFLINE   mrhowes

mrhowes

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

If I understand correctly, the CCK is not a requirement for Whole Home DVR setup. The CCK is only for internet based content (ON-Demand, Pandora, etc). So, that being said, the wireless / wired debate comes down to this. You may have 1000/Mbit/s (Gigabit) wired or even 100Mbit/s wired, and 802.11G wireless (at best 50Mbit/s), if your internet connection is slower than any of the above, both wired and wireless should (given a good wireless signal) perform equally. i.e., if you have 20 Mbit/s internet coming into your house, that is the fastest you can operate, when it comes to the CCK. When it comes to the internet, you can only operate as fast as the slowest portion of you network connection. Now if you were accessing ONLY content inside your home network, NOT on the internet, then the wireless/wired debate is more important.

#19 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,399 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

If I understand correctly, the CCK is not a requirement for Whole Home DVR setup. The CCK is only for internet based content (ON-Demand, Pandora, etc). So, that being said, the wireless / wired debate comes down to this. You may have 1000/Mbit/s (Gigabit) wired or even 100Mbit/s wired, and 802.11G wireless (at best 50Mbit/s), if your internet connection is slower than any of the above, both wired and wireless should (given a good wireless signal) perform equally. i.e., if you have 20 Mbit/s internet coming into your house, that is the fastest you can operate, when it comes to the CCK. When it comes to the internet, you can only operate as fast as the slowest portion of you network connection. Now if you were accessing ONLY content inside your home network, NOT on the internet, then the wireless/wired debate is more important.

And even then it might be questionable, as I use a WiFi G for DirecTV2PC OTA HD recordings without issues.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall