Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Does HBO ever refresh their content?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tomski35

tomski35

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:59 PM

Added HBO a few weeks ago. Seems like it's the same movies every day. When do they add content?

Edited by tomski35, 05 September 2012 - 07:09 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

Duded HBO a few weeks ago. Seems like it's the same movies every day. When do they add content?

Just before they have a "free preview". :D:D

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#3 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:45 PM

Content is refreshed all the time. New series, movies, specials, etc. They only have a certain "window" in which they can show certain things. Now, some windows are longer than others so the refresh rate may not be as quick for some content, but there is new content all the time.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,595 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

Nope.

If you put it on 9/6/2062 it will still be the same stuff.

#5 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:59 AM

One of the many reasons I keep my netflix and amazon streaming accounts active. Can watch many of the same older movies seen on hbo and other premiums. I did take the hbo/cinemax offer just to see hard knocks but I am going to get rid of hbo this month.

#6 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

It's always baffled me why HBO and the like have so many subs. I think they get them mostly by default from the crowd that just signs up for everything that's available no matter what the cost. They show the same few crappy movies over and over and over. Sure they have some good original content as well, but it's not worth $15/month IMO. I'd rather wait for the blu-ray than pay nearly $200/yr. It made sense 25 years ago when we had far fewer options. But they are dinosaurs today, kept alive simply by old habits and some original content. Netflix/Amazon/Redbox is a far better value.

#7 OFFLINE   JMCecil

JMCecil

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

It's always baffled me why HBO and the like have so many subs. I think they get them mostly by default from the crowd that just signs up for everything that's available no matter what the cost. They show the same few crappy movies over and over and over. Sure they have some good original content as well, but it's not worth $15/month IMO. I'd rather wait for the blu-ray than pay nearly $200/yr. It made sense 25 years ago when we had far fewer options. But they are dinosaurs today, kept alive simply by old habits and some original content. Netflix/Amazon/Redbox is a far better value.

You don't have to wait for blu-ray. Just get the channel for a month at the end of the season run and use On Demand to catch up. Then cancel.
LVR: HR34 - Anthem MRX 700 - Mits L75-A94
FMR: HR21 - Angstrom 200/205 - 47-LG50

#8 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 777 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

New movie every sat at 7 or 8 cat.

#9 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:30 PM

Probably has something to do with all those Emmys...
DTV = Digital Television

#10 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:49 PM

In the early 1980's, HBO was offered in Milwaukee via a microwave system known as TVQ prior to cable being introduced. It was a single-channel service that cost $20 a month (a LOT of money for TV 30 years ago). Not only that, in those days HBO signed on around 4PM and signed off around midnight! Every month the movies were completely different.

People went bananas. Just about every other house had a goofy-looking microwave antenna on their roof. Nobody could believe uncensored commercial-free movies were available in their home. And when HBO signed off, the service switched to WTCG out of Atlanta which later became WTBS and now, of course is just plain TBS.

I still have a bunch of VCR's made during this period including the hilarious sign off video HBO used to run showing a cartoon character putting out the cat and going to bed.

Ah, nostalgia....

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

It's always baffled me why HBO and the like have so many subs.

They have some good original series.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

I still have a bunch of VCR's made during this period including the hilarious sign off video HBO used to run showing a cartoon character putting out the cat and going to bed.

The sign-off video:

-GDH39Jfyfo
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

spam firewall