Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HBO + Cinemax Free Preview 9/14-17

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

I just wish that their price structure, was something similar to Starz and Showtime. At times, you can usually get a 3 month package, for under $10.00 per month. I'd tap into that, a couple of times a year, but their price is prohibitive, the way it's currently set up.

Simply put, HBO costs more to distributors than Starz or Showtime. Cost of goods higher means distributors will charge more to recoup their costs.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

The freeviews are actually 4 days each time.

So 3 freeviews x 4 days = 12 days / 366 (leap year) = 3.3%.

Yeah, I think you are right, though depends as some are turned on Friday 3:00am EST and shut off Monday 3:00am EST. Others are turned on Thursday morning. We'll split the difference and call it 10.5 days, how's that. ;)
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#23 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:16 PM

Although it is a nice gesture, you have to admit its mainly a marketing tool to lure in more subscribers to those premium channels. I suppose the preview coinciding with the premier of a Boardwalk Empire could just be a coincidence. Although I would bet that the hope is that you watch the free episode and you like it. Then you have to subscribe to HBO to know what happens next.

In this particular one, of course. Though Boardwalk Empire is only one show out of the 10 networks and Cinemax free preview is another 8 networks, all of which are showing something else. So yes, I would agree it is anchor tent pole programming in this case but the offering extends to far more otherwise they could do a free preview for Boardwalk only.
DIRECTV employee

#24 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:00 PM

Found the free preview boring, with little new content, from when I subbed it, about 5 months ago.

#25 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,651 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:10 AM

Found the free preview boring, with little new content, from when I subbed it, about 5 months ago.

I'd tend to agree. It appears the timing and content offered this time around is more to promote HBO series items than movies. I must say though...the video quality of HBO is always very solid in HD.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#26 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

The free previews are supposed to be a marketing tool to get people to subscribe. But to me it's just the opposite. Checking out what is on HBO and Cinemax during their free preview just makes me all the more determined not to subscribe. Scanning through all of their channels hardly shows me anything that I'm interested in watching. And yes they have a lot of different channels, but last night I noticed that the same movie was playing on three different channels at the same time. What good is having those three channels if they are all showing the same thing? It's ridiculous.

#27 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

Just checked on the same question--the answer is no.

I was able to get the Max Go iphone app to work friday night using my D* authentication. Not sure if it will still work after the freeview over. I know I tried seeing if it would work back when I installed HBO Go back when I started subbing to that channel and it rejected it.

#28 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

The free previews are supposed to be a marketing tool to get people to subscribe. But to me it's just the opposite. Checking out what is on HBO and Cinemax during their free preview just makes me all the more determined not to subscribe. Scanning through all of their channels hardly shows me anything that I'm interested in watching. And yes they have a lot of different channels, but last night I noticed that the same movie was playing on three different channels at the same time. What good is having those three channels if they are all showing the same thing? It's ridiculous.

Yes, I felt the same way. I subbed to both of them, about 5 months ago and there isn't enough new content, to warrant re-subbing with them. Now if they fell in the price range of Showtime and Starz, I might consider it. I often get those for about $7.99, when you sign up for 3 months.

spam firewall