Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HELP! "New" HR-21 with HR-24s on DECA?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dueport

dueport

Mentor

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:34 PM

So I accepted D*'s offer for a new HD DVR (adding a 4th box) in exchange for a contract renewal. My "new" box just arrived tonight and it is a refurbed HR-21 200. I'm not happy that it is, first, a used box and, second, that it is an HR21 and not the HR24 I was promised. Two questions:

First, I have 3 existing HR24s on a DECA network with CCK installed and whole home active; I don't think the HR21 has built in DECA so it would need an adapter (which wasn't provided) right? I don't want to use one of those given the fire scare noted in another thread. Is it possible to plug just the HR21 into Ethernet to allow it to access the other DVRs on the DECA cloud? Would I be able to use whole home between all 4 DVRs in this case? If not, I guess I have to refuse delivery and hope they'll exchange it or send a tech out and hope they have an hr24 on the truck. The CSR told me she would send an HR24 since I have only hr24s installed - which was reassuring given I thought they couldn't guarantee models (now it appears they can't).

Second, if I could use this new box in my existing setup, what do people think about the HR21 generally? A reliable and beloved friend, or a bug ridden bag of hurt?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:46 PM

Someone else falls for the D* equipment promise lie.

Yes, it should work if plugged into the same network via ethernet.
For a 2 yr contract renewal, personally, I would send it back and either get an HR24 elsewhere for $199 or tell D* you dont want used and old boxes. That is just me tho.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:24 AM

Someone else falls for the D* equipment promise lie.

Yes, it should work if plugged into the same network via ethernet.
For a 2 yr contract renewal, personally, I would send it back and either get an HR24 elsewhere for $199 or tell D* you dont want used and old boxes. That is just me tho.

This has about the same effect as demanding a model number.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,727 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:47 AM

If you do not want the HR21 that they sent and you have not activated it, I believe you can refuse it and send it back.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:26 AM

So I accepted D*'s offer for a new HD DVR (adding a 4th box) in exchange for a contract renewal. My "new" box just arrived tonight and it is a refurbed HR-21 200. I'm not happy that it is, first, a used box and, second, that it is an HR21 and not the HR24 I was promised. Two questions:

First, I have 3 existing HR24s on a DECA network with CCK installed and whole home active; I don't think the HR21 has built in DECA so it would need an adapter (which wasn't provided) right? I don't want to use one of those given the fire scare noted in another thread. Is it possible to plug just the HR21 into Ethernet to allow it to access the other DVRs on the DECA cloud? Would I be able to use whole home between all 4 DVRs in this case? If not, I guess I have to refuse delivery and hope they'll exchange it or send a tech out and hope they have an hr24 on the truck. The CSR told me she would send an HR24 since I have only hr24s installed - which was reassuring given I thought they couldn't guarantee models (now it appears they can't).

Second, if I could use this new box in my existing setup, what do people think about the HR21 generally? A reliable and beloved friend, or a bug ridden bag of hurt?

The adapters are a fire hazard? I'm using 3 of them could you post a link to that thread?

#6 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,527 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

The adapters are a fire hazard? I'm using 3 of them could you post a link to that thread?

http://www.dbstalk.c...&highlight=fire
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#7 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:43 AM

Given the hundreds of DECA adapters in use by members of this forum, and the thousands of others across the country, and in light of a single report of a cable overheating and burning, I'd hardly call the adapters a "fire hazard."

It is also worth noting that the fire in question originated at the coaxial cable, NOT the adapter housing. So, if you want to call something a fire hazard, it would have to be coaxial cable. The cable in question just happened to be attached to a DECA adapter.

To the original poster's question, obtaining a receiver from a reseller is the ONLY way to guarantee a particular model. The HR21 is much slower than the HR24 for things like menu, guide and playlist loading and scrolling. If you are used to HR24s, you won't be happy with HR21 performance.
Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#8 OFFLINE   dueport

dueport

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

I appreciate everyone's quick help with this - with your input I was able to quickly decide what to do here. It sounds like I could run a CAT5/6 to the room and connect to MRV that way, or I could request a DECA adapter (but I still have my previously stated concerns with that). Your posts confirmed my concern that the HR21 would have real performance issues compared to the HR24 - that's just a problem I don't want to take on - especially for another 2 years under a new contract. For that reason, I called D* and, after a bit of haggling, I managed to get them to agree to send a tech out tomorrow to install a different (free) box at no cost. I'm taking a gamble that the tech will have a newer box (hopefully an HR24) on the truck tomorrow so we'll see if I'm lucky. Thanks again to everyone for your quick support.

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

I appreciate everyone's quick help with this - with your input I was able to quickly decide what to do here. It sounds like I could run a CAT5/6 to the room and connect to MRV that way, or I could request a DECA adapter (but I still have my previously stated concerns with that). Your posts confirmed my concern that the HR21 would have real performance issues compared to the HR24 - that's just a problem I don't want to take on - especially for another 2 years under a new contract. For that reason, I called D* and, after a bit of haggling, I managed to get them to agree to send a tech out tomorrow to install a different (free) box at no cost. I'm taking a gamble that the tech will have a newer box (hopefully an HR24) on the truck tomorrow so we'll see if I'm lucky. Thanks again to everyone for your quick support.

Wise, you are. Don't settle for any of the 21 series, that includes the 22s and the 23. If the guy that shows up doesn't have a 24 on his truck ask him to call around to other installers or go back to his warehouse and get one. If he has to go to a lot of trouble to get one, be "nice ($)" to him. It's not his fault that a D* CSR once again promised something they could not possibly deliver.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

Given the hundreds of DECA adapters in use by members of this forum, and the thousands of others across the country, and in light of a single report of a cable overheating and burning, I'd hardly call the adapters a "fire hazard."

It is also worth noting that the fire in question originated at the coaxial cable, NOT the adapter housing. So, if you want to call something a fire hazard, it would have to be coaxial cable. The cable in question just happened to be attached to a DECA adapter.

To the original poster's question, obtaining a receiver from a reseller is the ONLY way to guarantee a particular model. The HR21 is much slower than the HR24 for things like menu, guide and playlist loading and scrolling. If you are used to HR24s, you won't be happy with HR21 performance.

I just looked at that picture VOS posted. Takes a good bit of power to do that kind of damage. Not sure if the DECA adapter is capable of putting out that much power. He goes into detail about the heat he feels on an adapter and I'd go by what he says.

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,915 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

I just looked at that picture VOS posted. Takes a good bit of power to do that kind of damage. Not sure if the DECA adapter is capable of putting out that much power. He goes into detail about the heat he feels on an adapter and I'd go by what he says.

Rich

The power comes from the receiver, not the adapter.

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,387 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

Rich

I've been running a test for over an hour and there simply is no indication that the heat from the DECA could be the cause of the burnt coax.

The coldest part of the DECA is where the coax burnt, so it really can't be [that I can see] anything other than a short on the DC supply at the connector.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

I've been running a test for over an hour and there simply is no indication that the heat from the DECA could be the cause of the burnt coax.

The coldest part of the DECA is where the coax burnt, so it really can't be [that I can see] anything other than a short on the DC supply at the connector.

That was my thought, too. Took a bit of power to do that.

Rich

spam firewall