Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 dying - can you tell me which part?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dan42353

dan42353

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:54 AM

Hello, first I would like to say thinks in advance for the help!

After leaving the receiver on all night I walk into the room to find one of my HR24s makes sounds like when you first plug it in (fans start, i think under the noise of the fan I hear the hard drive spin, etc) for about 3 seconds. Then it goes off completely very briefly, then it tries to boot again and makes all the same noises, then it briefly dies again, over and over. IS this common enough where someone can tell me there is a 95% chance it is the hard drive, or a 90% chance it is the power supply?

I own all of my receivers and I am the second owner on all of them so I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to do anything and I have no kind of warranty.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dan42353

dan42353

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

I was thinking about trying a hard drive since its the easiest part to buy. Does anyone know if that is incorrect?

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,428 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:31 AM

To test if it's just the HD, you could add one as an external. Save a lot of time if you install a new HD and find it's something else.

I trust you've reset it?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,067 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

I was thinking about trying a hard drive since its the easiest part to buy. Does anyone know if that is incorrect?

The HDD is the least likely thing to cause the symptoms you report. Might well be the power supply. Is that a 24-500 by any chance? If it is the PS, you'll play hell trying to find one. Tell us what model it is and we might be able to help.

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,067 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

To test if it's just the HD, you could add one as an external. Save a lot of time if you install a new HD and find it's something else.

I trust you've reset it?

I really doubt it's the HDD, but if folks have an external device and a known good HDD, it is the easiest way to find out if the HDD is shot. I've had some bad HDDs, but none with the symptoms the TS reports.

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,227 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

I really doubt it's the HDD, but if folks have an external device and a known good HDD, it is the easiest way to find out if the HDD is shot. I've had some bad HDDs, but none with the symptoms the TS reports.

Rich

Yup. My initial thinking was that the PSU is bad.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   cherry919

cherry919

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:27 PM

How about adding the protection plan to your account, then wait a month and make a claim. Leave the protection plan in place long term for good karma and a clear conscience.

#8 OFFLINE   dan42353

dan42353

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:48 AM

The HDD is the least likely thing to cause the symptoms you report. Might well be the power supply. Is that a 24-500 by any chance? If it is the PS, you'll play hell trying to find one. Tell us what model it is and we might be able to help.

Rich

Thank you very much!

It is a HR24-200. I was worried when you said that because I knew two of them were -500's but the only one with a problem is -200. Please tell me this PSU is much easier to find :) If not, can a variable PSU be used?

Thanks again

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,067 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

Thank you very much!

It is a HR24-200. I was worried when you said that because I knew two of them were -500's but the only one with a problem is -200. Please tell me this PSU is much easier to find :) If not, can a variable PSU be used?

Thanks again

I don't think the PS boards are interchangeable from model to model and the only way we could find one was to purchase an HR of that model from eBay or CL that's selling for parts. You can usually get them for less than $100. Just make sure the unit you buy "powers up". We (my friend and I) found several on eBay for our 24-500s.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,067 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

Thank you very much!

Thanks again

One of the problems you're gonna run into is the relative rarity of 24-200s. I haven't seen many on eBay or CL. I'll let you know if I do.

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   dan42353

dan42353

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:45 AM

I looked at everything on Ebay and nothing was for the HR24. Are any of the others compatible? I did see an H24 but it seems like it would produce less power than needed since it was meant for a receiver that does not have a hard drive. Is there a way to double check?

I ordered a 2TB hd to put in it so I'll be able to test that theory when it arrives (I wanted to upgrade size anyway).

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,696 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

I would recommend you call for someone proficient in repairs of such devices.
Your choosing path (asking basic questions ) leading nowhere.

Two possible real ways to fix your HR24: a) become a repairman, means be like a working person in TV repair shop B) give your box to such person.

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,067 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

Two possible real ways to fix your HR24: a) become a repairman, means be like a working person in TV repair shop B) give your box to such person.

I can tell him how to fix it, but I can't find a cheap 24-200 that I'd need for the parts.

Nobody, apparently, sells power supplys for the 24s. I've had great success with the 24-500 PSs, but finding one for the 200s seems impossible.

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   dan42353

dan42353

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

Rich thanks for all your answers!

To anyone suggesting alternatives instead of answers- you must have too much free time. You know you arent helping me and yet you still post. I thought this forum would have more technically minded people.

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,696 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

You don't get it ... Actually Rich in posts #9 and 10 painted the common picture, but you still think about something easy as changing windshield's vipers.

How to teach you to be a repairman of the complicated enough devices, if you don't have basic knowledge ?

It would take much more time and energy than just holding your hands remotely and answering irrelevant questions...

May be I have more time to post here, but you definitely didn't look what technical level of my posts to not judge blindly.

#16 OFFLINE   dan42353

dan42353

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

I either missed or forgot what Rich said in post #9 about them not being interchangeable from model to model and specifically stating the HR model is different. I'm sorry. And it sounds like everyone is in agreement that it is as simple as windshield wiper blades if I find a HR24-200 with a working power supply.

I emailed this guy last night
http://cgi.ebay.com/...E:X:AAQ:US:1123

asking if he could plug it up and listen for the fans and/or hd. Thanks again Rich ;) And I guess thanks to you too pecker head for having me reread post #9.

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,696 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:03 PM

You don't need to demonstrate your ability to humiliate ppl here. Seems to me you're good in it.

As to troubleshooting and fixing device, you must start from obvious steps: get DMM and measure voltages on all PSU rails. It would easy task for 7th grade student. All these levels usually written on silk screen near of inter-board connectors.
At least small thing I could teach you, if not good manners.

#18 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,709 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:01 AM

Call this place, or go to the website.
http://www.weaknees....ectv-hd-dvr.php

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,696 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:45 AM

I should mention: that symptoms what was presented in OP's first post, mostly describing main board problem than PSU. This conclusion based on practical experience fixing many DVRs.

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,067 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

I either missed or forgot what Rich said in post #9 about them not being interchangeable from model to model and specifically stating the HR model is different. I'm sorry. And it sounds like everyone is in agreement that it is as simple as windshield wiper blades if I find a HR24-200 with a working power supply.

I emailed this guy last night
http://cgi.ebay.com/...E:X:AAQ:US:1123

asking if he could plug it up and listen for the fans and/or hd. Thanks again Rich ;) And I guess thanks to you too pecker head for having me reread post #9.

You have to know whether or not the front panel lights go on when the HR is powered up to determine if the PS is good or not. No lights, don't buy it. Ask the seller that question.

Rich

spam firewall