Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 dying - can you tell me which part?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

Call this place, or go to the website.
http://www.weaknees....ectv-hd-dvr.php

Last time I called them, they told me they don't sell power supplys for the HR24s or any D* model. They'll fix it for an unholy price, but they have to be going the same route I do to get the working power supplys.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

I should mention: that symptoms what was presented in OP's first post, mostly describing main board problem than PSU. This conclusion based on practical experience fixing many DVRs.

Calm down, Pete. He reported the same symptoms I saw on three 24-500s recently and replacing the PS board fixed each one of them.

But I just reread the thread and have another question for the TS. I'll ask him in another post.

Rich

#23 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

I either missed or forgot what Rich said in post #9 about them not being interchangeable from model to model and specifically stating the HR model is different. I'm sorry. And it sounds like everyone is in agreement that it is as simple as windshield wiper blades if I find a HR24-200 with a working power supply.

I emailed this guy last night
http://cgi.ebay.com/...E:X:AAQ:US:1123

asking if he could plug it up and listen for the fans and/or hd. Thanks again Rich ;) And I guess thanks to you too pecker head for having me reread post #9.

Do the front panel lights come on when you plug in the 24-200?

Rich

#24 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

Calm down, Pete. He reported the same symptoms I saw on three 24-500s recently and replacing the PS board fixed each one of them.

But I just reread the thread and have another question for the TS. I'll ask him in another post.

Rich

I'm calm ... But I feel something doesn't smell right in your description. How that bad PSUs could turn on a fan (+12V rail), light up LEDs (+5V and +3.3V rails ?) ?
Major question would be the same - did you measure all rails on bad PSUes ?

#25 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:51 PM

I'm calm ... But I feel something doesn't smell right in your description. How that bad PSUs could turn on a fan (+12V rail), light up LEDs (+5V and +3.3V rails ?) ?
Major question would be the same - did you measure all rails on bad PSUes ?

So far, on three 24-500s, I've heard the HDD spinning and the fan, very briefly, spin and stop. I can see no other way the HDD can get power except from the power supply board. I never said that you see the front panel lit and have a bad PS. If you don't have front panel illumination, it seems to be caused by a bad PS board. A board with more than one output. So, the HDD spins and the fan tries to and the front panel isn't lit up at all. Bad PS.

And no...I didn't measure any voltage and I have no idea what a "rail" is. I keep saying I'm extremely lazy and replacing the PS board and having the HR work properly again is enough for me. It's quick and easy and you need no technical ability other than how to use a Torx wrench and pull connectors apart. Literally a ten minute job once you get the cover off. That's taking your time.

Measure the voltage of a rail.... :lol:

Rich

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

Measure the voltage of a rail...

That would take a minute and you'll know if it PSU or mainboard. You'll not guess but have a knowledge. :lol:

BTW, nice good DMM for such home projects is $5-$10. Only.

#27 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:04 AM

That would take a minute and you'll know if it PSU or mainboard. You'll not guess but have a knowledge. :lol:

BTW, nice good DMM for such home projects is $5-$10. Only.

I've got a huge Fluke, but using it is too much like work... :lol:

Rich

#28 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

What is the model ? I like those huge display of 286.

#29 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

I dunno, I was given it after my original Fluke exploded because it wasn't properly protected. After the explosion, we had people from Fluke (or whoever makes them) attend the Incident Review and they vowed to make changes to the new Flukes. All our old Flukes were gathered and we got the new Flukes a week or so later. Our law dept. was all over them.

Same thing happened with Bobcats many years later. They used to be wide open in front and a contractor had a three quarter horse electric motor fall out of the scoop and injure his leg. We quickly welded heavy screening on the Bobcats we had on site and I do believe that Bobcat offers the protective screen doors as an option now. Didn't then.

Rich

#30 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

Just checked it, it's a Model 25. I've had it since ~ 1980. Thing's about half as big as a Simpson analog MM. The one that exploded was as long, but very thin and could be carried in my pocket. It was great for tight spaces.

Rich

#31 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:04 PM

Really old ... matching his owner. ;)

#32 OFFLINE   dan42353

dan42353

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:36 PM

Do the front panel lights come on when you plug in the 24-200?

Rich

I will re-assemble it, plug it up, and report back.

Thanks all

#33 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

And measure voltages (rails) - then post here too.

#34 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

Really old ... matching his owner. ;)

Still works well...much like its owner.... :lol:

I hated lugging that thing around on my tool belt. Still, it works well.

Rich

#35 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

Good to hear that. Hope next time you'll measure voltages (rails) on any PSU what will comes to your hands: working or not and will post results to teach some "cowboys" to proper method of diagnostic of such devices ;).

#36 OFFLINE   Robert L

Robert L

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:50 PM

If someone is going to the trouble of measuring voltage coming out of a power supply trying to figure out if its bad. They might as well go ahead and do component level repair instead of searching ebay for a used one. Much cheaper and might actually learn something doing it that way, if they don't make it explode instead.
3- HR20-700, 2-HR24-500, Native on, 5- Networked (wired), FIOS, Slimline dish, Swm-16,HD receiver for music
Various displays & projectors, using HDMI

#37 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

Good to hear that. Hope next time you'll measure voltages (rails) on any PSU what will comes to your hands: working or not and will post results to teach some "cowboys" to proper method of diagnostic of such devices ;).

I have absolutely no idea what a rail is.... :nono2:

Rich

#38 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

It's an engineering term for voltage lines.

#39 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

It's an engineering term for voltage lines.

That sorta clears things up...sorta.

Rich

#40 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

That sorta clears things up...sorta.

Rich

Rich, you know how on pc power supplies there is usually a +5v, +12v, sometimes a +3.3v, etc....outputs, those are referred to as rails. Sometimes when a psu goes bad only one of the rails goes bad, say the +12v....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...