Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 dying - can you tell me which part?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

I didn't send him the link, Rich. I just told him I found a cheap leased working (supposedly, it is eBay, after all) 24-200 that he could buy and cannibalize for parts. It "probably" has a good PS. Worth a shot anyhow.

Rich

Unless I'm reading this wrong, I don't think anyone should be buying a leased receiver for parts...that would be "bad". An owned one, ok...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,089 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

Unless I'm reading this wrong, I don't think anyone should be buying a leased receiver for parts...that would be "bad". An owned one, ok...

Neither eBay nor D* apparently cares much about what's sold on eBay. I've talked to the Access Card folks about this and they say there's not much that can be done (a paraphrase, of course). eBay, naturally, does absolutely nothing to help D*. If the only way to get a PS is to buy an HR for ~ $50 on eBay, then I gotta say go for it. Not all of them are leased, I call ACT practically everyday while trolling eBay for owned HRs.

Rich

#63 OFFLINE   dan42353

dan42353

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

It seems to me that you could use any part from a leased receiver to fix an identical owned receiver except the main board. The HD gets re-written and nothing else has any form of self identity right?

P.S. What about the damn thing working for a day? I'm assuming that points to mainboard or very rare types of failure with the hd or PS but I'd love to get the pros to confirm it.

#64 OFFLINE   dan42353

dan42353

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

I'll let everyone know what happens when the new PS arrives. Thanks for the help

#65 OFFLINE   dan42353

dan42353

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

The new power supply unit arrived. Important details:

1. In the original post I forgot to mention one time after leaving it unplugged for a few days the receiver worked when I plugged it up. When I woke up the next day it was doing that reving up noise and trying to boot over and over just like it did the other times.

2. I put in the new power supply unit and the same thing happened as in #1. It worked for about 10 hours.

3. without the top on I see that the fan does not run 100% of the time. Does it cut off possibly in a passive mode when less heat is beign produced or is there a fan/mainboard problem?

4. Can I try the hard drive from the unit I bought on ebay for parts? Do I need to format it first so it doesn't try to boot as normal? (I heard the receiver preps the drive and fixes everything with a new drive but with one that was previously used in a hr24-200 I thought it might be a recipe for disaster.

5. The 2tb drive I bought is too thick for the HR24-200. Any recommended solutions?

Thanks for all the responses!

#66 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

As I emphasize a few times, you got what I thought. Bad or malfunctioning mainboard.

About drives, copy especailly: we had many dedicated threads with a lot of knowledge; just get there and read before. Same for the question about height of a drive for your HR24.

#67 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,089 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

The new power supply unit arrived. Important details:

1. In the original post I forgot to mention one time after leaving it unplugged for a few days the receiver worked when I plugged it up. When I woke up the next day it was doing that reving up noise and trying to boot over and over just like it did the other times.

2. I put in the new power supply unit and the same thing happened as in #1. It worked for about 10 hours.

3. without the top on I see that the fan does not run 100% of the time. Does it cut off possibly in a passive mode when less heat is beign produced or is there a fan/mainboard problem?

4. Can I try the hard drive from the unit I bought on ebay for parts? Do I need to format it first so it doesn't try to boot as normal? (I heard the receiver preps the drive and fixes everything with a new drive but with one that was previously used in a hr24-200 I thought it might be a recipe for disaster.

5. The 2tb drive I bought is too thick for the HR24-200. Any recommended solutions?

Thanks for all the responses!

Damn, I thought the PS was the problem for sure. Yeah, you can take out the HDD from the other HR and try it. Probably won't make any difference, but it's worth a shot. It should boot right up. I think it might be time to give up on the 200 and get a replacement.

Rich

#68 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,089 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

As I emphasize a few times, you got what I thought. Bad or malfunctioning mainboard.

About drives, copy especailly: we had many dedicated threads with a lot of knowledge; just get there and read before. Same for the question about height of a drive for your HR24.

Kudos, Pete! You were right!

Rich

#69 OFFLINE   dan42353

dan42353

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Update: I pulled the power cord without putting it in sleep mode first and it broke again. It would just rev-up for 2 seconds, and try again, and try again. I left it alone for a few days and just like the other 2 times it mysteriously started. I have left the top off the receiver and I have not yanked the cord out at an inappropriate time for 2-3 weeks and I only had 1 problem. I walked in the room one day and the receiver was unresponsive. In the past when it had a problem I would walk in and find it trying to rev-up over and over. This was just like it was dead. But I hit the reset button and everything was fine.

I realize this topic is dead but it might help someone else doing a search in the future. Thanks again for the help.

#70 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

You should never just pull the plug on your dvr if you can help it. You shouldnt even do it when you "put it to sleep". The correct method if you want to pull the plug and do a clean shutdown, is to go into the menu and choose restart receiver, be careful NOT to choose reset receiver. It will after a minute or so turn off all the lights on the unit and begin to restart, then pull the power cord before the lights come back on. If your dvr is completely unresponsive to remote commands, then the red button reset should be used. Only pull the plug as a last resort.

spam firewall