Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dish guy goes DTV, Help!!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bbartilson

bbartilson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:02 AM

OMFG.

So, I've been a Dish guy for about 5 years. Been running 722's with good luck for the most part, but they are dying and being replaced more frequently. Loss of AMC and I've decided to try DTV.

So I have a system installed yesterday. I'm trying to separate my dismay at the install experience from my evaluation of the new system. I still have one working 722 and a working Dish install while I sort out whether DTV is up to par for my needs.

1. I have an HR24/500 and two 25 aux receivers. That whole home thing is neat. But it appears like the 24 has one count them ONE tuner? My wife will never allow this to fly.

2. I also had a Direct HD Tivo installed. Before my Dish experience, I had S2 Tivos and LOVED them. My hatred of Comcast's intermittent signal in my area pushed me to Dish TV and DSL internet. Unfortunately, the new Tivo has been downloading software every time I've looked at it. I woke up early this AM only to find it downloading more software with 7 minutes remaining. Gawd! :nono:

So, I'm scared to ask, does the Tivo have only one tuner as well? Are you guys really dealing with this? How do you deal with schedule conflicts? Multiple HR24's or something? I would think that if the MRV works between DVR's then a stack of HR24's would be cool, but $20 per for advanced receiver fees would get old real fast.

All I want is an S3 Tivo that works with something other than cable. Eff me.

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,316 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:21 AM

Welcome!

Both of your DVRs have two tuners. However, if you like Whole Home, the TiVo isn't your best choice, as it doesn't do MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,316 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:28 AM

Under Menu on your HR24, go to Settings, then Satellite, then Satellite Setup. Make sure Dual Tuners is selected.

Not sure of the sequence on the TiVo as I don't own one.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:13 AM

How do you deal with schedule conflicts? Multiple HR24's or something? I would think that if the MRV works between DVR's then a stack of HR24's would be cool, but $20 per for advanced receiver fees would get old real fast.

"Per" is per account, NOT DVR.
I used twin DVRs to resolve conflicts. After your first receiver, each additional is only $6/month, be it a DVR or a receiver.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:34 AM

The receivers are capable of recording one show while watching another, or,
recording two shows while watching a recorded show. I do this all the time.

Regarding Conflicts. In the Series manager, move the National channels like NBC,CBS, etc. to the top since they usually do not repeat. Have the channels like TBS, TNT, etc after the above. The lower the number the higher the priority to the DVR.
Let's say you have 2 shows scheduled at the same time but you want to watch something live. The DVR will tell you it needs to change channels, you pick the recording that is on TBS and tell it to cancel it. Since the TBS program repeats later in the night the DVR will record it at that time. The DVRs are pretty good at this.

What I usually do in a case of conflict that I know I will have is to canel the Episode and go out into the night when I will be sleeping and press the record button on the later timed showing.

To see if your DVR is set for 2 tuners, press and hold the Info button on the remote until the System Info comes to the screen,. Choose more info and scroll down the screen until you get to tuners. It should say 2.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:02 AM

Welcome to the forum. You should find a wealth of knowledge on the DBS forum and many people to help solve any issues or answer any questions that you may have.

The HR24 is one the newer model DVR's and it performs admirably (I might be biased as I have 3 of them). I can't speak of the H25's or the TiVO unit as I have no experience with them. I do know that the downside of the TIVO unit is the inability to do MRV (Multi-room viewing). This may or may mot be an issue with you as we all have different priorities.

I'm not sure of what type of deal that you received but if tuner conflicts was a major concern, DTV has the HMC (Home Media Center) which has has 5 tuners available. Do a search and you can find a link to the First Look which will give you a better description. I find the 34 to be reliable and mine has become the workhorse at my house.

#7 OFFLINE   bbartilson

bbartilson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:32 AM

Wow. Thanks all for the quick and informed responses.

There were indeed setup/menu issues - at least the 24 wasn't setup to dual tune. My dismay was caused as it asked permission to tune away from the morning news. Newbies, what can I say?

So far things are looking better this AM. The install started at 8:40 AM yesterday and the installer left about 6PM. It was a rough day for the both of us, but that's a different thread.

Regards,
Bill

#8 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:55 AM

Looking at your setup, I think I would have opted for the HR34 vice the HR24. More tuners means less chance of recording and live conflicts.

In my setup, I have 2 of the HR24s in my main viewing area so I can control 4 tuners for recording (I seldom watch anything live). If the HR34 had been out at the time, I would have gotten it instead.

If you notice that for all your recording management tricks, that conflicts are just happening all too often, consider adding another HR24 to the mix, or getting an HR34.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#9 OFFLINE   bbartilson

bbartilson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

I agree that an HR34 was the better choice.

To clarify, the Tivo and the HR24 are both in the main TV room. As I said in my earlier post, I used to LOVe my Tivos. I got the HR24 almost as an afterthought, as it was free with the install, and the additional receivers really do seem to integrate seamlessly.

I've been making do with a single 722 and mostly one television for a year or more now... having all these rooms connected again is very cool... but there were/are issues with the install.

1. Dish aiming/ tree obstructions
2. Sloppy/nasty work.

But I think that's properly another thread in another section.

Thanks for everything folks.

-B

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

I'd call and ask to change the hr24 and the tivo for one hr34 and be done with it. You will be happier with that setup I think.

#11 OFFLINE   bbartilson

bbartilson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:34 PM

I can figure out what the tomato rating on movies is, what are the popcorns?

#12 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

I can figure out what the tomato rating on movies is, what are the popcorns?

http://support.direc...aWQvWjdrNmhONWw=

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#13 OFFLINE   bbartilson

bbartilson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

Thanks man. :)

#14 OFFLINE   bbartilson

bbartilson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

Okay, overall things have settled down well. I have a couple new (probably newbie) questions.

1. Where's the best place to get an AM21?

2. When I record a local HD channel through the AM21, does that 'count' as one of the tuners in the DVR for simultaneous recording, or do I now have two additional tuners in an HR24/34 to record with? (which would be 4 for a 24 and 7 for a 34)

Thanks again guys!!

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,929 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

Doesn't matter like with receivers, except of course to be sure you get what you pay for. There is no concern on owned/leased status. Having said that, I'd likely buy from Solid Signal.

It doesn't count towards your SWM limit, but does not extend the recording capability. Still can only record 2 or 5 at once.

#16 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Registered
  • 510 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

OMFG.

So, I've been a Dish guy for about 5 years. Been running 722's with good luck for the most part, but they are dying and being replaced more frequently. Loss of AMC and I've decided to try DTV.

So I have a system installed yesterday. I'm trying to separate my dismay at the install experience from my evaluation of the new system. I still have one working 722 and a working Dish install while I sort out whether DTV is up to par for my needs.

1. I have an HR24/500 and two 25 aux receivers. That whole home thing is neat. But it appears like the 24 has one count them ONE tuner? My wife will never allow this to fly.

2. I also had a Direct HD Tivo installed. Before my Dish experience, I had S2 Tivos and LOVED them. My hatred of Comcast's intermittent signal in my area pushed me to Dish TV and DSL internet. Unfortunately, the new Tivo has been downloading software every time I've looked at it. I woke up early this AM only to find it downloading more software with 7 minutes remaining. Gawd! :nono:

So, I'm scared to ask, does the Tivo have only one tuner as well? Are you guys really dealing with this? How do you deal with schedule conflicts? Multiple HR24's or something? I would think that if the MRV works between DVR's then a stack of HR24's would be cool, but $20 per for advanced receiver fees would get old real fast.

All I want is an S3 Tivo that works with something other than cable. Eff me.

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Welcome back. I've been with DirecTv since 1999. The bloom is off the rose. I hate it every time I have to talk with them. They have gotten worse over the years and generally suck. The sad fact is, they suck less than their competition so I'm stuck.

#17 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,981 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

Okay, overall things have settled down well. I have a couple new (probably newbie) questions.

2. When I record a local HD channel through the AM21, does that 'count' as one of the tuners in the DVR for simultaneous recording, or do I now have two additional tuners in an HR24/34 to record with? (which would be 4 for a 24 and 7 for a 34)

Thanks again guys!!

Adding a AM21 does not increase the number of simultaneous recordings, so you are still limited to 2 (or 5 for the HR34).

#18 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

Thanks again guys!!

I just bought an AM21 that's available now because it didn't pull in enough channels to make it worth it for me. I'll ship anywhere in USA. FYI, if you buy it from DTV it is not returnable! PM if interested.
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

Protected By... spam firewall...And...