Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Miracle AVR!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,941 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

Shop around. Video upscaling is available on many A/V receivers.

Thanks, but I do not need upscaling. I posted that as it's an outrageous bit of copy. I wonder how many believe it!? Surely no one here.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,941 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

Laxguy, for reference, Fry's had the AVR 1913 for 299.99 on 9/3 and 327.00 on 8/25. You can get a new one for less.

Thanks. I rather like Fry's, and it make me feel I am shopping locally.

The ads makes me wonder what might be the source for a bunch of refurbished units? How do they get a lot of them into stock?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#23 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:29 PM

Laxguy, for reference, Fry's had the AVR 1913 for 299.99 on 9/3 and 327.00 on 8/25. You can get a new one for less.

And the 1612 was $199 during those sales.

Someone at slickdeals stated that they got the 1913 yesterday at Fry's for $299.99.

My recommendation for a receiver is that in the sub $500 price point they're all pretty equal. I would just set up an alert at slickdeals for Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer and be ready to jump on a deal when it happens.

Incidentally, newegg currently has the Pioneer VSX-1022 for $280 with free shipping.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#24 ONLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

A 2 year warranty, huh? Buy it with an Amex card and you'll have a four year warranty on it. Gotta admit I've never had an AV set fail, but I usually buy a new one every year or so and give the oldest set away. As far as I know, all the old sets I gave away are still working.

Rich

Great! Can I put my name on the list for your next give away? ;)

And on the AMEX card, I believe you would end up with a 3 year warranty for that unit. I buy all my warrantied items with one of my AMEX cards and it double the manufacturers warranty up to a year. Then any longer warranties, it only adds 1 additional year [link].
HR34-700, HR22-100

#25 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

Thanks. I rather like Fry's, and it make me feel I am shopping locally.

Just buy this, Laxguy. Fry's is a great store. That 2-year manufacturer's warranty I mentioned before is probably only at brick and mortar shops like Fry's. Yamaha goes down to a one year warranty on their Internet product. I wouldn't be surprised if Denon does the same.

The ads makes me wonder what might be the source for a bunch of refurbished units? How do they get a lot of them into stock?

It's usually a lot more benign than it may seem.

Yes, they could have a problem with this receiver and a bunch were returned to Denon defective. But that's really rare. Don't get me wrong. It's not rare for a model to have a problem. It's rare the company will take them back. Maybe 20 years ago, there was a line of Denon receivers with bad transformers. The company didn't exchange receivers. They just had service centers put in new transformers.

These were most likely returned to Denon because the dealer couldn't pay his bills. They are repo units. When the website talks about new in the box, they mean it. Many would be stock for the store. But others would be demos and since both the dealer and the receiver's history are shady, it's best to sell the whole lot as B-stock.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

Great! Can I put my name on the list for your next give away? ;)

And on the AMEX card, I believe you would end up with a 3 year warranty for that unit. I buy all my warrantied items with one of my AMEX cards and it double the manufacturers warranty up to a year. Then any longer warranties, it only adds 1 additional year [link].

I didn't know that. I'll have to read the Amex info again. Thanx. Still, a 3 year warranty isn't bad, just for using Amex. My Master Card does this too.

Yes, you can add your name to the list. You'll have to pay for shipping, but if you need one, I'll keep you in mind. I usually find folks in my neighborhood that want them. I hate to just throw away a good AV receiver.

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   bdmarine

bdmarine

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:29 PM

On the subject of getting a 7.2 and just setting it up for 5.1, I will disagree slightly with the crowd here. You are paying for the unused circuits and amplifiers, not only in dollars, but in heat radiation, power consumption, and unnecessary complexity. Go for the 5.1. Also note that certain AVR, DVR, HDTV combinations have some documented problems on this site.

#28 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:48 PM

Good points, bdmarine. I agree with you, especially in the power consumption.

If you don't go 7.1 but do 5.1 instead, most receivers will use those two unused amplifiers for the B speakers. Now you may not have anything hooked up to the B speaker terminals, either, but the amps can be used for another purpose.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

spam firewall