Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dead HD-DVR, can't get replaced

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sooner02

sooner02

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

So I have an HD-DVR (HR20-700) that's hard drive bit the dust last week (scanning and finding errors).

I called DirecTV on Saturday morning, went through the whole troubleshooting process and was approved for a replacement by the tech. I've purchased the protection plan since becoming customers so I never thought a replacement would be a big ordeal.

However, I was told that the order could not be completed due to a "system update". I was told to call back in 2 hours. I did, and still the same situation and was told to call back Sunday morning. I called Sunday, same story, but this time was told to call back in 4 hours. I decided to wait till Monday. Still no change...told to call back in 4 hours again. I waited and called Tuesday, nothing. I called Wednesday and was told that I need not call back to get the HD-DVR order in, but that they would take care of it and email me once it was done because the "system was still in the process of updating".

Here it is Friday and I have yet to receive an email from DirecTV. Should I wait yet another day, or escalate this? I feel as if I've gotten the run-around. I am not one to complain about petty issues, but I feel a week+ with no tv service is cause for me to be a little irritated by this "quality" of service.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:38 PM

Send an e-mail to Ellen Filipiak <ellen.filipiak@directv.com>, VP of Customer Relations. Someone from her team will get back to you pretty quickly and get this resolved for you.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 614 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

Strange, I called in on Labor Day, when I feared I'd be lucky just to get a native English speaker, and was able to get a truck here the next day. Same problem, an HD20-700 with a dying hard disk.

Maybe the key was saying the magic words "protection plan" when it asked what I wanted -- first person to answer was in the protection plan group.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#4 OFFLINE   rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

Strange, I called in on Labor Day, when I feared I'd be lucky just to get a native English speaker, and was able to get a truck here the next day. Same problem, an HD20-700 with a dying hard disk.

Maybe the key was saying the magic words "protection plan" when it asked what I wanted -- first person to answer was in the protection plan group.

Just FYI = All D* tech support sites are on-shore. 24/7/365
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

3 HR24-100s owned
1 AM21 with cheap indoor multidirectional OTA
Slimline 5
WorldDirect
WHDVR with BB DECA

#5 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

Their CSRs may all be on-shore now, but that doesn't guarantee a native English speaking one. :)

The OP should go the email to Ellen route.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,239 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

+1. And you don't need to wait until Monday. That office appears to be manned on the weekends.

#7 OFFLINE   sooner02

sooner02

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:48 PM

I got a protection plan CSR, at least they said they were of that group. One of them did mention sending out a truck if the system was still down, but I didn't press the issue when I called back. I've never had a problem with support before, this is a new thing for me with D*.

#8 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,239 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

I'd let them roll a truck. If they send you a replacement, you'll most likely get a refurbished unit. From the truck, you'll get whatever they have, but you have a better chance of getting a new HR24.

#9 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:58 AM

Their CSRs may all be on-shore now, but that doesn't guarantee a native English speaking one. :)

welcome ot the melting pot of the world...

#10 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:50 AM

ordering systems should be fully functional by now

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,127 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

I got a call from an unidentified number the other day and the guy started speaking Spanish to me. I would normally hang up, but I heard "D*" and asked him if he spoke English. He was calling me because the CMG was trying to call me and couldn't reach me. Took a while for him to explain, his English wasn't so good. I've been trying to get D* to expunge my old land line phone number from their records, but they can't seem to do it.

Rich

spam firewall