Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New local channel on D* - can we get it dropped?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

Ughh - D* just added WACP (channel 4) from Atlantic City, NJ to the Philly DMA. What a crock - this "channel" has nothing but infomercials 24x7. No local programming, nothing to improve the common good, nothing good at all. And they use channel 4 because it fits so well in the 3-6-10-12... channel lineup here.

At one time, stations needed to demonstrate some sort of civil responsibility. How can a "channel" like this exist, and even worse, how can D* be forced to carry this garbage?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

You would be hard pressed to find a DMA in the country without a channel like that. Why do you care? Just don't watch it. It isn't preventing the existence of another channel.

FYI - WACP was still under construction in June. They don't have a network affiliation yet, but was purchased for $3.8 million. Patience...
DTV = Digital Television

#3 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:30 PM

Ughh - D* just added WACP (channel 4) from Atlantic City, NJ to the Philly DMA. What a crock - this "channel" has nothing but infomercials 24x7. No local programming, nothing to improve the common good, nothing good at all. And they use channel 4 because it fits so well in the 3-6-10-12... channel lineup here.

At one time, stations needed to demonstrate some sort of civil responsibility. How can a "channel" like this exist, and even worse, how can D* be forced to carry this garbage?

If it is a channel showing *ONLY* infomercials, chances are likely they actually *PAY* DirecTV for carriage. Which would be good for everyone's bill.

And what Hoosier said. Los Angeles has like 35 or so local channels (14 of which in HD which is impressive), and at least 3 or 4 show infomercials all the time.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#4 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

You would be hard pressed to find a DMA in the country without a channel like that. Why do you care? Just don't watch it. It isn't preventing the existence of another channel.

FYI - WACP was still under construction in June. They don't have a network affiliation yet, but was purchased for $3.8 million. Patience...

I can happily say I have none of these here at all. But there are a lot of them.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,220 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:40 PM

If it is a channel showing *ONLY* infomercials, chances are likely they actually *PAY* DirecTV for carriage. Which would be good for everyone's bill.

And what Hoosier said. Los Angeles has like 35 or so local channels (14 of which in HD which is impressive), and at least 3 or 4 show infomercials all the time.

The numbers for the LA market on DIRECTV are presently 44 total local channels of which 16 are HD and 2 in MPEG-4 SD. ;)

#6 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

I can happily say I have none of these here at all. But there are a lot of them.

Where?
DTV = Digital Television

#7 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

Where?

I am in Columbia Maryland. No full time full power infomercial stations.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#8 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

I don't know about getting it dropped, but you could remove it from your favorites list.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#9 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

Consider yourself lucky. We have a DMA, that only has CBS, ABC, FOX, PBS, CW and an import of NBC. We only have one of these stations, with local news.

#10 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,946 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

I am in Columbia Maryland. No full time full power infomercial stations.

I am in the Albany, GA DMA. It's a smaller market, so it makes sense, but no full-time infomercial stations either.

Personally, I don't see why one would care about a channel BEING carried. Delete it from your Favorites list...

~Alan

#11 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:06 AM

Consider yourself lucky. We have a DMA, that only has CBS, ABC, FOX, PBS, CW and an import of NBC. We only have one of these stations, with local news.

Here in S.A., we have these HD locals. CBS, ABC, Fox, PBS, CW, and NBC. Still waiting for ION E HD. They have the same programing as the local ION. That's how UNIVISION HD spanish network is handled here too. They show the same thing as the local Univision station.

I leave the channels I don't like, out of my favorites list. It really is no big deal.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#12 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:56 AM

How can a "channel" like this exist, and even worse, how can D* be forced to carry this garbage?

Do you get mad at junk mail or just throw it away?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#13 OFFLINE   Barmat

Barmat

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

Sounds like some one doesn't like free speech.

In this country money=free speech, so this channel is all about free speech.
Bedroom - H24>>>Standard Philips CRT TV
Family Room - HR20-700>>> Panasonic Plasma 42"
Living Room - HR34-700>>> Panasonic Plasma 50" HDMI
Office HR20-700>>>> Standard no-name TV
Internet - Comcast
Swm 16-CCK

#14 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

Free speech.....what a novel idea. I wonder where it went. It doesn't seem to hold the same weight, as it did before the 1970's. Seems like there's been a covert way of silencing and squelching decent happening, for the last 40 years.

#15 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:32 AM

The Harrisburg, PA DMA doesn't have any locals that are 24-7 infomercial.
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

#16 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

The numbers for the LA market on DIRECTV are presently 44 total local channels of which 16 are HD and 2 in MPEG-4 SD. ;)

Oops. I must have miscounted in my guide :)
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#17 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,835 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:25 PM

Oops. I must have miscounted in my guide :)

Turn on OTA and then start counting! Its out of control. If you count sub channels we may have more channels OTA than Directv has in all their channels combined!

#18 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

My current NBC affiliate started out showing Super Mario Brothers cartoons in the morning and Home Shopping Network the rest of the day. I did not even know it existed until it was announced that they were going to be the new NBC affiliate, and the old NBC affiliate was going to be the UPN affiliate (and now, My Network TV).

One never knows what a channel that is only showing infomercials might be showing next month or next year.

#19 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

One might consider providing product information to people who might want to buy the products as providing a service, however useless it seems to you.

I'm sure the owner and employees of the station and advertisers, as well as the customers who purchase the products, consider it so.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#20 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 681 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

The FCC is a joke and has always served their corporate masters. The rule about stations needing to serve the public interest started vanishing when infomercials were first allowed on stations using public airwaves. I am surprised the rules about having a certain amount of kids programming has lasted this long, I expect it will be overturned soon, just like how the first hour of prime time network programming used to be known as the family hour and was supposed to be for all ages. Now it's indistinguishable from any other hour.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...