Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New local channel on D* - can we get it dropped?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

What? Shopping for shut ins and those too lazy to go outside is community service, yes?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,315 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

The numbers for the LA market on DIRECTV are presently 44 total local channels of which 16 are HD and 2 in MPEG-4 SD. ;)

Last time I checked my 40-year-old rooftop antenna was pulling in about 100 OTA channels in LA, about 90 more than I really need...:D
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#23 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

The FCC is a joke and has always served their corporate masters. The rule about stations needing to serve the public interest started vanishing when infomercials were first allowed on stations using public airwaves. I am surprised the rules about having a certain amount of kids programming has lasted this long, I expect it will be overturned soon, just like how the first hour of prime time network programming used to be known as the family hour and was supposed to be for all ages. Now it's indistinguishable from any other hour.

[sarcasm]Deregulation at its finest.

We cannot have the government telling television stations what to program, unless there is a wardrobe malfunction, in which case the same politicos that pushed for deregulation pushed the FCC to levy a large fine. [/sarcasm]

#24 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

The FCC is a joke and has always served their corporate masters.

Yeah, you can't even say things like **** or **** or ****. But then again, neither can one on this board. :D

Would like a ****fighting channel. Oh wait. And sports channels where they show the race from the ****pit of the cars. Ah darn!
Ugh, I shall give the FCC a ****eyed look. Oh man! Did you know residents of London are called ****neys?

http://t1.gstatic.co...cNzaifoR65SQO7w

:D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#25 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,158 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

The channel was actually created because the owner of two channels in Wyoming and Nevada attempted to exploit an old FCC loophole that was initially created to save the then WOR-TV in NYC in the mid-80s who was on the verge of being forced off air because RKO-General was stripped of all their broadcasting licenses. Basically it was that any station can apply to move to a state without a commercial VHF channel, which was used so WOR-TV can be sold and moved to Secaucaus, NJ and remain on air as WWOR. With the digital transition New Jersey and Delaware no longer had any commercial VHF channels so the owner of those stations attempted to move KVNV/3 from Ely, Nevada to Middleton Township, NJ for NYC and KJWY/2 from Jackson, Wyoming to Wilmington for Philly. The FCC got around it by assigning new allotments for a channel 4 (WACP) in Atlantic City and a future channel 5 (WMDE) in Seaford, Delaware for the Salisbury market.

They probably used the must-carry rules to get into more homes. Right now it's mostly infomercials outside of the kids E/I programming weekday mornings and a few public affairs shows weekend mornings. They'll likely get more programming after their sister station in Delaware is up and running, programming you might end up liking. For example when DirecTV added the former WSAH to the NYC locals, it was just infomercials after Shop at Home shutdown, now it carries the Me-TV network most of the day.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...