Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV and Viggle partnership launched

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   mark40511

mark40511

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLexington KY

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:39 AM

So I'm watching my local ABC news affiliate this morning at 630 am, right? So I downloaded this app, signed up and checked in, and it searched and found that I was watching Eyewitness news from another ABC affiliate (can't remember where but very far away), then I tried it again and it asked if I was watching "deadly women" on the Discovery channel.......Even though I wasn't I said yes and it gave me 8 points??

Do you need to have your TV blasting for this to hear or something? I'm asking because the app says "listening"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   amh84

amh84

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts
  • LocationNogales, Arizona

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

Does it only work with Live Tv, or recordings too?

Works with recordings but bonus points are only doled out until 8 am (unknown what time zone, I'm assuming Eastern) the day after the original airing.

HR34-700, HR22-100, C31 x3

#43 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

Works with recordings but bonus points are only doled out until 8 am (unknown what time zone, I'm assuming Eastern) the day after the original airing.

The next day?! I still have stuff from February on my receiver lol

#44 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

So I'm watching my local ABC news affiliate this morning at 630 am, right? So I downloaded this app, signed up and checked in, and it searched and found that I was watching Eyewitness news from another ABC affiliate (can't remember where but very far away), then I tried it again and it asked if I was watching "deadly women" on the Discovery channel.......Even though I wasn't I said yes and it gave me 8 points??

Do you need to have your TV blasting for this to hear or something? I'm asking because the app says "listening"

Local channels it typically doesn't work for with the exception of national feeds of CBS, ABC, FOX, NBC. Yes, sometimes it does a bad match. You're going to have much more success on your traditional cable networks, and primetime national programming, not the local news and such.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#45 OFFLINE   mark40511

mark40511

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLexington KY

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

After playing around with this app today, it looks as if you can totally LIE about what you're watching and get away with it.

I suspected what you said about the news and local programming and such was the case, but wasn't sure....

This does work. It DID know that I was watching Good Morning America

#46 OFFLINE   MISpat

MISpat

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

If you're running the latest version(s) of Android (Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean) you should have Google Play already installed. If you don't have it, you don't need to root it to install it.

I was under the impression that you need to root the tablet in order to install Google Play. Is this not the case?

Any info on installing google play without rooting would be appreciated...
Patrick

Dish type – SWM3 LNB, 2 HR24-500, H23-600, Whole Home w/ broadband DECA (CCK)

#47 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

I was under the impression that you need to root the tablet in order to install Google Play. Is this not the case?

Any info on installing google play without rooting would be appreciated...

Maybe I missed it. What tablet do you have?
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#48 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,821 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

Can two Viggle accounts be tied to the same DirecTV account? No... this isn't a cheating thing, I'm asking if two people in the same household can have their own Viggle account, but be linked to the same DirecTV account.

I installed Viggle to play with it this week, and I had to laugh when I realized Viggle's DirecTV guide lists a neighboring market's local ABC affiliate in with my locals... :rolleyes:

Also... should I contact Viggle to see if I can get the above straightened out?!

~Alan

#49 OFFLINE   MISpat

MISpat

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Maybe I missed it. What tablet do you have?

You didn't miss it... I didn't think to post it ;)

Visual Land Connect Android 4.0 Internet Tablet 7" Capacitive Multi-Touch Screen 8GB Memory

Model VL-789
Patrick

#50 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

You didn't miss it... I didn't think to post it ;)

Visual Land Connect Android 4.0 Internet Tablet 7" Capacitive Multi-Touch Screen 8GB Memory

Model VL-789

I don't have that tablet, but someone posted this on Amazon:

"Visual Land Connect Android... It does not include the google marketplace "google play", but it's easy to download the googleplay .apk file and put it on the SD card and install the marketplace.”

If nothing else, I would think that you should be able to search for Google Play. Then sign up and download it from apps from the website.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#51 OFFLINE   MISpat

MISpat

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:08 PM

If nothing else, I would think that you should be able to search for Google Play.

Wow, it was actually THAT EASY! I guess I shouldn't have listened to my coworker who told me I'd have to root it first.

Thanks for the info.
Patrick

#52 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

Wow, it was actually THAT EASY! I guess I shouldn't have listened to my coworker who told me I'd have to root it first.

Thanks for the info.

You're welcome, glad it worked!
HR34-700, HR22-100

#53 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

Well, I thought this Viggle might be kind of lame, but its actually not bad. Since I signed up on 9/8, I have accumulated over 14,000 points. More then enough for $5 debit card at CVS or Starbucks and almost half way to a $15 Chili's card...

So this was an painless way to get a $15 Chili's eCard. And it was easy to redeem the 30,000 points and have the $15 eCard emailed to me immediately. On to the next 30,000.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#54 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

So this was an painless way to get a $15 Chili's eCard. And it was easy to redeem the 30,000 points and have the $15 eCard emailed to me immediately. On to the next 30,000.

Nice job
DIRECTV employee

#55 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

I thought I would pass this along to all, I received the following email from Viggle today:

Hurricane Sandy is here.
If you don't hear from us over the next few days, it's probably due to the effects of the storm (our Customer Service team is based on the East Coast). We'll be back as soon as we can.
In addition, Viggle's connections and other systems may be out of service from time to time as the storm blows through. This may cause disruptions in your ability to check in or play one of our games (such as MyGuy or Viggle LIVE).
Thank you for your understanding. If you live in the storm's path, please take this one seriously. All of us at Viggle hope that you and your loved ones come through the next few days safely.
Sincerely,
The Viggle Team

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#56 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

Just received another email:

Good morning. We hope everyone is safe and well.
Due to Tropical Storm Sandy, we're experiencing an outage with audio matching. You will not be able to check into shows using audio verification. The good news is that manual check-ins are working and everyone will still get their points.
We appreciate your patience and understanding as we get audio check-ins back up. Please follow us on Twitter @Viggle for the latest updates.
Sincerely,
The Viggle Team

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#57 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:43 AM

Due to Tropical Storm Sandy, we're experiencing an outage with audio matching. You will not be able to check into shows using audio verification. The good news is that manual check-ins are working and everyone will still get their points.

I received the emails from Viggle as well. Unfortunately, they say the manual check in still works, but it hasn't for me. I followed all the steps for 2 different check-ins and it seemed like it worked fine. The problem is I never received any points for it.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#58 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

They are hopeful to be back up and running in a bit. They are based in NYC and their servers for matching all the show checkins are in New Jersey, so you can imagine they've had a rough week like many have out there.

Hoping for the best for the folks impacted by Sandy.
DIRECTV employee

#59 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

Viggle announced it was buying Get Glue today for $25 million and some stock. The social media consolidation for TV has begun....maybe. :)

http://news.cnet.com...tglue-to-merge/
DIRECTV employee

#60 OFFLINE   Civrock

Civrock

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

I hope they do merge instead of leaving them both as separate services/apps. Currently using GetGlue, Viggle and IntoNow... for basically the same purpose, just different rewards and sharing options.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...