Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PAC-12 and DISH have deal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
681 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

Already looking into the dish network thing. i have feeling that I won't be the only one doing that and that means Directv needs to act fast or they really could start to lose west coast customers. Someone down the block dropped them the first time they lost the FOX station here on Directv.

Looks like E* also made nice with Big 10 Network from what I just saw on twitter. Double WOW IMO

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   ChileDuck

ChileDuck

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

THey won't be exclusive as soon as Directv adds. The only thing they received that is exclusive is advertising inside Pac 12 stadiums.

Yes... the Pac-12 has clarified that a deal with Directv is not precluded by the Dish agreement.

#23 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,019 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

Perhaps I'm missing something here, because as my avatar suggest I only follow USC (and only the football team at that). But internet streaming aside, how much more can adding only one national Pac 12 channel (which may be only in SD) contribute beyond what the main networks ESPN, ABC, and Fox provide?

To me to moan that "Dish now has the Pac 12 network" is an overreaction and is more in name than anything else without carrying any of the regional channels.

I think its more fitting to say that Dish today "barely" has the "Pac 12 network," which granted is technically more than DIRECTV has at the moment. But I certainly wouldn't say its anything to boast about with only one channel of it.

#24 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

The way I read this: pressure was on pac-12 before. With the agreement with dish, pressure now on Directv. Dish scored a away victory, if you will, taking into account that pac-12 is available on Dish on Directv's home base.

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#25 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,715 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

Also directv has a page dedicated to this issue.
http://support.direc...etail/a_id/3912

"If Pac-12 Network would allow us to make their channel available only to those customers who want to pay for it, the network would already be available on DIRECTV. But, as it stands now, the price is much too high to accept their demand that we make it available to all customers, some of whom will have to take on this unnecessary cost for a channel they don’t want."

Based on DISH's carriage (AT120+ in Pac12 states or Multi-Sport Pack nationwide) that hurdle shouldn't be a problem. Put Pac12 in Choice in the Pac12 states and Sports Pack/Premier nationwide.

The only issue I see is BTN. It appears BTN is carried nationwide in Choice? BTN is not carried nationwide by DISH in AT120+. If Pac12 wants the same deal as BTN, DirecTV will need to place Pac12 in Choice.

#26 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Between that and their price. It makes it awful temping with a dish network satellite on my roof too.

The way I read this: pressure was on pac-12 before. With the agreement with dish, pressure now on Directv. Dish scored a away victory, if you will, taking into account that pac-12 is available on Dish on Directv's home base.

#27 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,146 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Has anyone really analyzed what not having the block means in missed games for those who live in major DMA's on the West Coast?

I like the Pac 10—er whatever, but don't need or want to see every game of any particular school.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#28 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

Also directv has a page dedicated to this issue.
http://support.direc...etail/a_id/3912

You can tell that Direct is not telling the full story when they say Pac12 is forcing all customers to have it. Look at the deal struck with Dish:
"Pac-12 Networks is available to all DISH customers as a free preview for a limited time. It is included in America’s Top 120+ package and above for customers in Pac-12 territory (which includes the six states with Pac-12 schools) and available nationwide in the Multi-Sport Pack for $9 per month."
There are lower tier packages than top 120 plus those outside the 6 states won't even get it without paying extra on the sports package.
I think Directv is pulling our chains on this one. I've taken Directv's side many times but not on this one.

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#29 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

Based on the deal dish got, I agree. which is why I'm making a call to the local Satellite installing company today about dish network.

You can tell that Direct is not telling the full story when they say Pac12 is forcing all customers to have it. Look at the deal struck with Dish:
"Pac-12 Networks is available to all DISH customers as a free preview for a limited time. It is included in America’s Top 120+ package and above for customers in Pac-12 territory (which includes the six states with Pac-12 schools) and available nationwide in the Multi-Sport Pack for $9 per month."
There are lower tier packages than top 120 plus those outside the 6 states won't even get it without paying extra on the sports package.
I think Directv is pulling our chains on this one. I've taken Directv's side many times but not on this one.

#30 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

Based on the deal dish got, I agree. which is why I'm making a call to the local Satellite installing company today about dish network.

And it will be interesting to see how many people defect because of this in the quarterly report. I think Direct will take a hit especially if they dont get a deal by September 22nd.

#31 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,536 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

Or things are changing and this is a sign. PAC 12 was also pretty insistent on 7 channels. That appears to have changed as well.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#32 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,536 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

And it will be interesting to see how many people defect because of this in the quarterly report. I think Direct will take a hit especially if they dont get a deal by September 22nd.

Doubt it.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#33 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,735 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

And Mike White has been quoted saying he wants to "retain current customers" well lets hope he steps up to the plate now and gets a deal done "soon".

#34 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

yep. They will probably start to take a good hit early this week. Not to mention the people already heading back to Comcast and Time warner.

#35 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 890 posts

Perhaps I'm missing something here, because as my avatar suggest I only follow USC (and only the football team at that). But internet streaming aside, how much more can adding only one national Pac 12 channel (which may be only in SD) contribute beyond what the main networks ESPN, ABC, and Fox provide?

To me to moan that "Dish now has the Pac 12 network" is an overreaction and is more in name than anything else without carrying any of the regional channels.

I think its more fitting to say that Dish today "barely" has the "Pac 12 network," which granted is technically more than DIRECTV has at the moment. But I certainly wouldn't say its anything to boast about with only one channel of it.

In few weeks your beloved SC will be on Pac12. The 1st two weeks the games were all over, but after that the best games will be alternating between ABC/ESPN, Fox/FX, and Pac12. The overflow channels are important before conference games begin and again during basketball season.

*the "rumored Pac12 Fox games" that were posted last week was not true as verified by Pac12

#36 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,955 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Why September 22nd?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#37 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,715 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

You can tell that Direct is not telling the full story when they say Pac12 is forcing all customers to have it.

The deal offered by Pac12 to DirecTV does not have to be the same as the deal offered by Pac12 to DISH. As noted above, BTN has different carriage on the two satellite providers. Pac12 may be pushing for placement in Choice nationwide. Pac12 may have requested "all subscribers" without understanding that DirecTV now has the "Entertainment" level subscriptions without RSNs.

One thing for sure ... if Pac12's offer included stadium advertising DirecTV has lost that opportunity - which may change the complexion of the negotiation.

#38 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

Conference play starts.

Why September 22nd?

#39 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,735 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

Wouldn't it be something if Dish got the new TWC RSN in addition to Pac 12 but D* doesn't?

#40 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

The deal offered by Pac12 to DirecTV does not have to be the same as the deal offered by Pac12 to DISH. As noted above, BTN has different carriage on the two satellite providers. Pac12 may be pushing for placement in Choice nationwide. Pac12 may have requested "all subscribers" without understanding that DirecTV now has the "Entertainment" level subscriptions without RSNs.

One thing for sure ... if Pac12's offer included stadium advertising DirecTV has lost that opportunity - which may change the complexion of the negotiation.

True we don't know the exact details but I would be surprised if it wasn't comparable to the same deal offered to Dish and even cable companies who aren't being forced to carry nation wide outside pac12 states.

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

Protected By... spam firewall...And...