Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PAC-12 and DISH have deal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
681 replies to this topic

#661 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

Dish has been putting more than just the Football in HD so far. Last night they aired a women's college soccer game in HD. I'm glad they airing some of the other main live sports in HD.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#662 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

Dish has been putting more than just the Football in HD so far. Last night they aired a women's college soccer game in HD. I'm glad they airing some of the other main live sports in HD.

That's really cool. I'm still hoping for a DirecTV deal, but I got a feeling it turned sour.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#663 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,575 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

I presume you're speaking of PAC12. It'll be interesting to see what sports they do broadcast- for example, wrestling? Tennis? Swimming? Softball? Lacrosse? (this latter is generally a club sport in the West for men, and I don't think any PAC12 school has a University team. Cal used to have a women's team, but it was cut to club status.)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#664 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

It is cool, but I just wish had been on Directv, so I wouldn't have had to add Dish network. The big loser in this is the fans. The gain is only for those companies picked up the network. In this case, Dish network gained my business. I would have never ever considered adding them in the past because of their reputation for dropping channels and not carrying sports.

That's really cool. I'm still hoping for a DirecTV deal, but I got a feeling it turned sour.

#665 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:04 PM

It is cool, but I just wish had been on Directv, so I wouldn't have had to add Dish network. The big loser in this is the fans. The gain is only for those companies picked up the network. In this case, Dish network gained my business. I would have never ever considered adding them in the past because of their reputation for dropping channels and not carrying sports.

Think of it this way: You are doing your part of putting more money back in the economy. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#666 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,266 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

Not large enough for DirecTV to consider carrying it. In the scheme of things, this particular scenario, (parents that send their kids to a PAC12 team they then can't see on TV) has absolutely ZERO effect on DirecTV deciding on carriage or not.

No, not at all. The potential damage is to the schools. We were talking about the impact on recruiting, not on DirecTV.

There are more issues than just DirecTV and the PAC 12 Network(s) itself.

:)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#667 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

Tweet from DirecTV

"We currently don't have any new information regarding the deal with PAC 12. But we will be sure to let you know if this changes."

Moving right along. :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

I am the Stig.

#668 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,266 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

Tweet from DirecTV

"We currently don't have any new information regarding the deal with PAC 12. But we will be sure to let you know if this changes."

Moving right along. :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

Breaking news.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#669 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,266 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

Good for them.

I am assuming that if DirecTV does sign up, it will be HD fulltime for the main channel, but glad to hear that customers are getting HD for non-football games.

#670 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

sounds like the same old canned answer to me.

Breaking news.

#671 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

No, not at all. The potential damage is to the schools. We were talking about the impact on recruiting, not on DirecTV.

There are more issues than just DirecTV and the PAC 12 Network(s) itself.

:)

I think the network not being carried on DirecTV also has ZERO influence on recruiting. We're talking - at most - several thousand parents, 99% of which can get Dish Network.

A few dozen parents might have a tree where the Dish satellite is, where they can get DirecTV just fine.... but from what I find on this forum, it is really an INCREDIBLE small amount of people who are situated in such a way they can get DirecTV, but not Dish. And those parents might still be able to get cable or use a cable account from a family member to watch it online. And that family member might even be the player itself.

Really, it has NO influence whatsoever on recruiting new players for PAC12 universities. None whatsoever.

I am the Stig.

#672 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,266 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

I think the network not being carried on DirecTV also has ZERO influence on recruiting. We're talking - at most - several thousand parents, 99% of which can get Dish Network.

A few dozen parents might have a tree where the Dish satellite is, where they can get DirecTV just fine.... but from what I find on this forum, it is really an INCREDIBLE small amount of people who are situated in such a way they can get DirecTV, but not Dish. And those parents might still be able to get cable or use a cable account from a family member to watch it online. And that family member might even be the player itself.

Really, it has NO influence whatsoever on recruiting new players for PAC12 universities. None whatsoever.

You missed the parts about the kid seeing the team on TV and his friends being able to see him? These are all impacts.

As you don't follow football or basketball, I think you are out of your depth to discuss recruitment in those sports.

And small numbers ARE involved. Basketball scholarships are limited to 15 per school at any one time. You lose one recruit because of availability and it can be impactful. You cannot use big statistical numbers for these cases.

Believe me, the PAC 12 was very mindful of recruitment of players when they decided to set up their network. It is a big recruiting tool. Putting all schools on TV for the major sports for all games is not just about money. It is about branding and branding translates into recruiting in college sports.

As a person who cannot get Dish (line of sight) but has DirecTV, don't discount it at all. The angles are very different.

#673 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

Ok this is turning into a discussion of PAC 12 on DIRECTV and not about the PAC 12 Dish deal.

If you have a comment about the Dish deal make it here. If you want to discuss this or any other HD channel coming to DIRECTV the go to the Anticipation thread.

I suspect there's little else to discuss about the Dish/PAC 12 deal but I'll leave this open for a while. Mean while if you want discuss DIRECTV and PAC 12, don't do it here.

:backtotop

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#674 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,266 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

Ok this is turning into a discussion of PAC 12 on DIRECTV and not about the PAC 12 Dish deal.

If you have a comment about the Dish deal make it here. If you want to discuss this or any other HD channel coming to DIRECTV the go to the Anticipation thread.

I suspect there's little else to discuss about the Dish/PAC 12 deal but I'll leave this open for a while. Mean while if you want discuss DIRECTV and PAC 12, don't do it here.

:backtotop

Mike

May I ask why the conversation can't go on? Everyone is being civil and it is obvious that the topic has great interest. So much that it would inundate the anticipation thread in a time when DirecTV is actually adding channels on a fairly regular basis.

In fact, we are discussing a lot of interesting side topics having to do with the PAC 12 network that are inappropriate for the anticipation thread.

Please do not stifle a good exchange of ideas.

#675 OFFLINE   JMCecil

JMCecil

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

From personal experience I can tell you that a parents favorite school is the one that provides the largest scholarship ....
LVR: HR34 - Anthem MRX 700 - Mits L75-A94
FMR: HR21 - Angstrom 200/205 - 47-LG50

#676 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

Should we open a separate topic about DirecTV/PAC12 negotiations, or should that go to the HD Anticipation topic?

I am the Stig.

#677 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,266 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

From personal experience I can tell you that a parents favorite school is the one that provides the largest scholarship ....

Sounds like you are talking cars and stuff because no one can offer more than 100% legally.

Anyway, I disagree.

#678 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 491 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

One thing I've learned since the Big Ten Network came about is that they don't even broadcast all of their Big Ten football or basketball games. In fact, since BTN's arrival more games are on ESPN and ABC than they ever were at least here. What's the point of having a dedicated channel and it's overflows to a certain conference when you give the games to other networks? Oh that's right. Money.
Point of my story is, I would personally expect more PAC12 games to be on channels you can receive (ABC, CBS, ESPN etc..) outside of P12N in the future even if DirecTV gets the channels or not.

#679 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,266 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:38 PM

One thing I've learned since the Big Ten Network came about is that they don't even broadcast all of their Big Ten football or basketball games. In fact, since BTN's arrival more games are on ESPN and ABC than they ever were at least here. What's the point of having a dedicated channel and it's overflows to a certain conference when you give the games to other networks? Oh that's right. Money.
Point of my story is, I would personally expect more PAC12 games to be on channels you can receive (ABC, CBS, ESPN etc..) outside of P12N in the future even if DirecTV gets the channels or not.

BTN is part of the whole fabric of the Big Ten broadcasts. There are actually fewer games on other venues than there were before BTN. And a large amount of the games on BTN were not on at all prior to BTN or were regional only (and on things like ESPN GamePlan).

However, BTN does show games in every available slot, so they are utilizing the channel fully.

Why would they show all of them themselves? That would be dumb.

As for more PAC 12 games on ESPN, etc., down the road. Don't bet on it. The PAC 12 is geographically isolated from most of the country, particularly in terms of time zones. A Big Ten game can fit into the noon, 3:30 and 7pm ET slots for football. Giving lots of choices. PAC 12 would be 3:30, 7pm and 10pm. Making it less advantageous to the heavily populated midwest and east. Just by time zone alone, the PAC 12 is at a disadvantage.

#680 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

To be clear, there is only one HD anticipation thread allowed. Otherwise we'd have too many threads to track. We've tried it and it doesn't work. There is no reason why this channel should get special treatment and have it's own thread. Further, there's no reason that a civil discussion of PAC 12 on DIRECTV can't take place in other thread.

This thread is about the Dish Network deal with PAC 12 and if nobody has anything to say about that the I'll close it. But, this will not turn into it's own HD channel coming to DIRECTV thread.

If there is some sports related discussion then start a new thread in the Sports forum.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

spam firewall