Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PAC-12 and DISH have deal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
681 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

I have no idea what the exact Dish deal entails but I would be curious to find out if, as you said, Pac-12 lowered its carriage requirements just to get on Dish, but is maintaining its carriage position with DirecTV?

Again, a leverage ploy?

Edited by Bambler, 08 September 2012 - 01:45 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:04 PM

mabe directv thinks the new time warner cable laker channel is more important ,and is working on that first? although the pac-12 should of been done first seeing how football season is already here.

#83 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:20 PM

You can forget about this network ever seeing the light of day on DirecTV.
And even if it ever does, it will be standard definition only, just like it is on Dish and everywhere else. The Pac-12 National channel is not even broadcast in HD. It's only broadcast in standard definition. The only people to see Pac-12 networks programming in HD on their TV are in-market with their local Pac-12 regional channel on their Basic lineup.

#84 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

Well well well, look what we have here..... Well at least those really really wanting PAC12 and not have cable, have a place to go now with Dish Network.

What isn't clear to me as of yet is whether the channels are offered in HD on Dish.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#85 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

Oh well. Good thing my mother in-law has Time Warner Cable, and I am allowed to use her password. I'll just watch some field hockey that way. :)

At least those who want the network, know where they stand. I foresee quite a few calls to Dish coming next week.... better get in there to get a GOOD time slot for installs.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#86 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

Bottom line is that some new parameters got set. The Dish deal included advertising so it is skewed some but it is the first truly national deal so it sets more guidelines for PAC 12/Directv.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#87 OFFLINE   shyvoodoo

shyvoodoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

And even if it ever does, it will be standard definition only, just like it is on Dish and everywhere else. The Pac-12 National channel is not even broadcast in HD. It's only broadcast in standard definition. The only people to see Pac-12 networks programming in HD on their TV are in-market with their local Pac-12 regional channel on their Basic lineup.

It was just a matter of time before ole Buster made his grand appearance..
Read above Bust, they said they are working on HD ON Dish by net week."..

Ben
Voodoo
All I Want:

Universal Sports HD.
Pac 12/SEC Networks.

#88 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

But no 7 networks.
Dish Network is only carrying one network.
You can't get all 7 networks, even if you wanted to pay for all of them.

Pac-12 caved in.

#89 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

No
Oceanic Time Warner has from 8/15 had the National channel in HD and all of the regional channels in SD.

#90 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,108 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

Bs, I have pac12 in hd and I am in Florida!

#91 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

Bs, I have pac12 in hd and I am in Florida!

You must have a regional channel in HD then.
Pac-12 customer support online told me last week that the national network is not even broadcast in HD.

#92 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

Here is the web chat log that I had with a Dish rep.

Alilie (ID: FY6): Hi, my name is Alilie (ID: FY6). How may I help you?
BusterAvis: Hi Allie
Alilie (ID: FY6): How are you doing today BusterAvis?
Alilie (ID: FY6): Hello.
Alilie (ID: FY6): How may I assist you?
BusterAvis: We're doing good. We're sitting here talking. We have DirecTV. We are Pac-12 fans. We hear you just struck a deal to carry Pac-12 networks. Correct?
Alilie (ID: FY6): Glad to hear that.
Alilie (ID: FY6): I will be happy to assist you with your programming concern.
Alilie (ID: FY6): DISH is pleased to announce that a multi-year agreement has been made with the Pac-12. This makes DISH the only satellite provider to carry the sports programming. Currently our competitors DIRECTV, FiOS and U-Verse have decided not to carry the programming.
Alilie (ID: FY6): Pac-12 is available as a RSN in AT120+ and higher and in the Multi-Sport Pack on Ch 413. The Pac-12 will only be available in SD due to the timing of our agreement. We are working quickly to make HD available to you soon.
BusterAvis: There are seven Pac 12 network channels. How many does Dish have?
Alilie (ID: FY6): Let me check.
BusterAvis: 6 of those 7 are regional channels, and one is the national channel
Alilie (ID: FY6): One moment please.
Alilie (ID: FY6): Included in the lineup of football games will be multiple appearances by No.2 USC, No. 4 Oregon and No. 25 Stanford.
BusterAvis: We live out of market (midwest). How many Pac-12 channels did you agree to carry, and will we get one or more of them? Thanks.
BusterAvis: We're out of market, because Pac-12 is out west.
Alilie (ID: FY6): May I know the zip code?
BusterAvis: xxxxx
Alilie (ID: FY6): Thanks, please hold.
BusterAvis: oh, and check zip code xxxxx as well
BusterAvis: thanks
Alilie (ID: FY6): You're welcome.
Alilie (ID: FY6): It seems that for both zip code you will get one channel which is 413.
BusterAvis: is that the national network?
Alilie (ID: FY6): Yes.
Alilie (ID: FY6): I'm sorry I mean Regional Sports network.
BusterAvis: and it's pretty much guaranteed that it will be in HD soon (or sometime eventually in the foreseeable future)?
BusterAvis: wait, which regional sports network is it then?
BusterAvis: there's 6 regional networks.
Alilie (ID: FY6): Those are FSN Cincinnati, FSN South.
Alilie (ID: FY6): You may also check this link to look for your games: http://www.mydish.com/gamefinder/
BusterAvis: wait, we're talking Pac-12 network, not Fox Sports regional channels
BusterAvis: FSN is fox sports network
Alilie (ID: FY6): It shows here one channel for Pac-12 which is channel 413.
BusterAvis: does it have the name of the channel?
BusterAvis: There's 7. 1.) Pac-12 national 2.) Pac-12 los angeles 3.) Pac-12 bay area 4.) Pac-12 rocky mountain 5.) Pac-12 Arizona 6.) Pac-12 Oregon 7.) Pac-12 Washington
Alilie (ID: FY6): No, it doesn't have the name of the channel.
BusterAvis: okay, thanks. for your reference going forward, in case anyone else asks, here's a link to all seven networks ....
BusterAvis: http://video.pac-12.com/networks
Alilie (ID: FY6): I apologize I cannot open the link you sent.
Alilie (ID: FY6): I have not heard from you in a while and your chat window shows you've been idle, are you still with me?
Alilie (ID: FY6): I apologize, however due to the lack of response I will now be ending this chat session. I hope your lack of response means that the issue is now resolved. Please feel free to chat back any time with additional questions or concerns. Thank you for using DISH Chat, we look forward to assisting you in the future.
Alilie (ID: FY6) has disconnected.

#93 OFFLINE   thepoloman33

thepoloman33

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

12 year DTV subscriber here and Oregon alum.

I subscribed to Comcast this week to see the Ducks game today and next week. Installer won't be here until Monday but I'm able to stream the game online (watching Cal now). Online streaming working better than expected.

I tried calling some local sports bars and all seem to have DirecTV. A couple bars told me they've been getting a few calls today asking about availability.

Really hope DTV and Pac12 work something out soon. I'm not impressed with my Comcast experience so far.

-Matt

#94 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,108 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

Pac-12 customer support online told me last week that the national network is not even broadcast in HD.

nope, my company has the national feed!

#95 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

nope, my company has the national feed!

Well, the Pac-12 online site is running a clusterf**k website right now.
And their one lone support guy online (Bob) is a complete dooosh.
He knows nothing about what is going on so far with everything I've asked him.
It seems they didn't inform him of anything and just threw him on support as a quick temp hire that doesn't know anything about the network(s) or the online site.

#96 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

Here is the web chat log that I had with a Dish rep.

Alilie (ID: FY6): Hi, my name is Alilie (ID: FY6). How may I help you?
BusterAvis: Hi Allie
Alilie (ID: FY6): How are you doing today BusterAvis?
Alilie (ID: FY6): Hello.
Alilie (ID: FY6): How may I assist you?
BusterAvis: We're doing good. We're sitting here talking. We have DirecTV. We are Pac-12 fans. We hear you just struck a deal to carry Pac-12 networks. Correct?
Alilie (ID: FY6): Glad to hear that.
Alilie (ID: FY6): I will be happy to assist you with your programming concern.
Alilie (ID: FY6): DISH is pleased to announce that a multi-year agreement has been made with the Pac-12. This makes DISH the only satellite provider to carry the sports programming. Currently our competitors DIRECTV, FiOS and U-Verse have decided not to carry the programming.
Alilie (ID: FY6): Pac-12 is available as a RSN in AT120+ and higher and in the Multi-Sport Pack on Ch 413. The Pac-12 will only be available in SD due to the timing of our agreement. We are working quickly to make HD available to you soon.
BusterAvis: There are seven Pac 12 network channels. How many does Dish have?
Alilie (ID: FY6): Let me check.
BusterAvis: 6 of those 7 are regional channels, and one is the national channel
Alilie (ID: FY6): One moment please.
Alilie (ID: FY6): Included in the lineup of football games will be multiple appearances by No.2 USC, No. 4 Oregon and No. 25 Stanford.
BusterAvis: We live out of market (midwest). How many Pac-12 channels did you agree to carry, and will we get one or more of them? Thanks.
BusterAvis: We're out of market, because Pac-12 is out west.
Alilie (ID: FY6): May I know the zip code?
BusterAvis: xxxxx
Alilie (ID: FY6): Thanks, please hold.
BusterAvis: oh, and check zip code xxxxx as well
Alilie (ID: FY6): You're welcome.
Alilie (ID: FY6): It seems that for both zip code you will get one channel which is 413.
BusterAvis: is that the national network?
Alilie (ID: FY6): Yes.
Alilie (ID: FY6): I'm sorry I mean Regional Sports network.
BusterAvis: and it's pretty much guaranteed that it will be in HD soon (or sometime eventually in the foreseeable future)?
BusterAvis: wait, which regional sports network is it then?
BusterAvis: there's 6 regional networks.
Alilie (ID: FY6): Those are FSN Cincinnati, FSN South.
Alilie (ID: FY6): You may also check this link to look for your games: http://www.mydish.com/gamefinder/
BusterAvis: wait, we're talking Pac-12 network, not Fox Sports regional channels
BusterAvis: FSN is fox sports network
Alilie (ID: FY6): It shows here one channel for Pac-12 which is channel 413.
BusterAvis: does it have the name of the channel?
BusterAvis: There's 7. 1.) Pac-12 national 2.) Pac-12 los angeles 3.) Pac-12 bay area 4.) Pac-12 rocky mountain 5.) Pac-12 Arizona 6.) Pac-12 Oregon 7.) Pac-12 Washington
Alilie (ID: FY6): No, it doesn't have the name of the channel.
BusterAvis: okay, thanks. for your reference going forward, in case anyone else asks, here's a link to all seven networks ....
BusterAvis: http://video.pac-12.com/networks
Alilie (ID: FY6): I apologize I cannot open the link you sent.
Alilie (ID: FY6): I have not heard from you in a while and your chat window shows you've been idle, are you still with me?
Alilie (ID: FY6): I apologize, however due to the lack of response I will now be ending this chat session. I hope your lack of response means that the issue is now resolved. Please feel free to chat back any time with additional questions or concerns. Thank you for using DISH Chat, we look forward to assisting you in the future.
Alilie (ID: FY6) has disconnected.

Well, that was useless and totally uninformative. Thanks for posting!
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#97 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

And I have told you BEFORE already the chat rep is wrong, and I even gave links to Time Warner Cable here in Los Angeles who carries both the national and the LA regional network in HD.

I am the Stig.

#98 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

And I have told you BEFORE already the chat rep is wrong, and I even gave links to Time Warner Cable here in Los Angeles who carries both the national and the LA regional network in HD.

yes, the chat people are clueless. they make you even less informed about the situation than you were before contacting them.

#99 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,804 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

It's national is HD on TWC Dallas, also.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#100 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

yes, the chat people are clueless. they make you even less informed about the situation than you were before contacting them.

I never bother with them. You can get better information by calling, and that is saying a lot.

I am the Stig.

spam firewall