Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PAC-12 and DISH have deal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
681 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

Well well well, look what we have here..... Well at least those really really wanting PAC12 and not have cable, have a place to go now with Dish Network.

What isn't clear to me as of yet is whether the channels are offered in HD on Dish.

Now can we panic? :P

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

Larry Scott said today they hope to have a deal in place soon with DirecT. The target date seems to be the USC/Cal game which is the date both Jon Wilner and John Ourand had said.

As for Nat'l in HD, I have been watching it all day (Cal and now U of O)both in HD. The streaming channel is in HD and good quality.

#103 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

Oh well. Good thing my mother in-law has Time Warner Cable, and I am allowed to use her password. I'll just watch some field hockey that way. :)

At least those who want the network, know where they stand. I foresee quite a few calls to Dish coming next week.... better get in there to get a GOOD time slot for installs.

I've seen the online stuff on the Pac-12 website.
Their quality isn't true full HD.
It's decent flash quality, but not exactly TV-like HD quality.
Also, they don't have on-demand full replay games on their website.
the Big Ten has BTN2Go, which is a platform that lets you watch any full game on demand again that was broadcast on BTN. Unfortunately, the Pac-12 doesn't have this, and are a step behind the Big Ten on that (actually many steps behind the Big Ten).

You can only watch full games that are on "Live" online, on Pac-12's website.
That's a disappointment that they don't offer on-demand for full games.
Larry Scott screwed up again.

#104 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

Word I'm hearing now is the hangup was on advertising over the pac12 network channels. Has nothing to do with them forcing 30 million to sub. Has more to do with lining Directv's pockets with additional revenue. Makes more since then their BS statement we are trying to save the subscribers that don't want it. Especially after looking at the Dish offer that most can't even get it without paying extra outside of 6 States. Thanks a lot Directv you lie big time.....

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#105 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,826 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:49 PM

Word I'm hearing now is the hangup was on advertising over the pac12 network channels. Has nothing to do with them forcing 30 million to sub. Has more to do with lining Directv's pockets with additional revenue. Makes more since then their BS statement we are trying to save the subscribers that don't it. Especially after looking at the Dish offer that most can't even get it without paying extra outside of 6 States. Thanks a lot Directv you lie big time.....

Source?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#106 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

On line content usually sucks. I've never had great success except with MLB.

WRONG.. I held a WSU Football viewing party today using the comcast streaming on laptop to the TV and it looked really good.

#107 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

Sandy Barbour can go stick it.

Really? I thought her stance was appropriate considering she's the AD of Cal and just wants Pac12.. Directv can go stick it.

#108 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

Source?

Social media is where I read it. Makes since looking at the Dish contract it's obvious they were not requiring all subscribers to pay. Oldest trick in the book we are trying to save you money and fanboys jump all over it. Subs even feel like they are watching their back. I'm a little older and smarter than fall for the propaganda spewed by either side.

2-HR24-500
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#109 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

Really? I thought her stance was appropriate considering she's the AD of Cal and just wants Pac12.. Directv can go stick it.

So she should taunt a potential partner while talks were still going on. Unprofessional.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#110 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

Social media is where I read it. Makes since looking at the Dish contract it's obvious they were not requiring all subscribers to pay. Oldest trick in the book we are trying to save you money and fanboys jump all over it. Subs even feel like they are watching their back. I'm a little older and smarter than fall for the propaganda spewed by either side.

Ah yes. The best source of everything. Social media.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#111 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

Ah yes. The best source of everything. Social media.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out a square peg doesn't fit in a round hole. Look at the other contracts including cable, no one is being forced to broadcast to all subs around the country. Look at the Directv statement and you feel like they are watching our back on excessive fees and all subs will have to pay. You can't see something doesn't fit? It comes down to advertising, running commercials how many etc. All I'm saying they are being anything but honest with us on this.
Maybe it has to do with the large number of subs in the Pac12 states but what ever it is about, making money and not saving customers money is what its about. That's why they are in business. Just be honest about it and stop pulling the wool over every ones eyes.

2-HR24-500
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#112 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

Word I'm hearing now is the hangup was on advertising over the pac12 network channels. Has nothing to do with them forcing 30 million to sub. Has more to do with lining Directv's pockets with additional revenue. Makes more since then their BS statement we are trying to save the subscribers that don't want it. Especially after looking at the Dish offer that most can't even get it without paying extra outside of 6 States. Thanks a lot Directv you lie big time.....

Proof? Link? Who on social media BESIDES those employed by PAC-12 schools?

Edited by Hoosier205, 08 September 2012 - 08:01 PM.

DTV = Digital Television

#113 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:06 PM

It doesn't take a genius to figure out a square peg doesn't fit in a round hole. Look at the other contracts including cable, no one is being forced to broadcast to all subs around the country. Look at the Directv statement and you feel like they are watching our back on excessive fees and all subs will have to pay. You can't see something doesn't fit? It comes down to advertising, running commercials how many etc. All I'm saying they are being anything but honest with us on this.
Maybe it has to do with the large number of subs in the Pac12 states but what ever it is about, making money and not saving customers money is what its about. That's why they are in business. Just be honest about it and stop pulling the wool over every ones eyes.

Yeah right. Cause directv would not want a channel that only cost to those who wanted to pay. You realize that commercial rights mitigates YOUR cost? Nah. Doesn't fit your position that they lied to you. Why would they make it up? They gain nothing. If you want the PAC 12 programming, you'd leave. Words won't change that. This is not a PR war, no matter how much the Cal AD taunts. This is serious, rather quiet dealing. Not a moral drama that disputes with companies like Viacom turn into.

But let's see. Let's look at the costs too much part. If directv can sell some ads as part of the deal, hey shift some of the cost to a different bucket. If they can't, they have to make up the money. How do they do that? Charge more. No connection to saving money for you at all. Yep. No way to connect all the dots. They are just liars. Easier logic, I guess.

#114 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

Proof? Link? Who on social media BESIDES those employed by PAC-12 schools?

It's social media not a written statement with a seal of approval. It was on Directv's facebook page on gameday. I just looked and the whole thing over 200 post have been deleted.

2-HR24-500
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#115 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

WRONG.. I held a WSU Football viewing party today using the comcast streaming on laptop to the TV and it looked really good.

I agree watched the Cal game and the quality was good.

#116 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

It's social media not a written statement with a seal of approval. It was on Directv's facebook page on gameday. I just looked and the whole thing over 200 post have been deleted.

You said, "word I'm hearing now" about 85 minutes ago. Now the source you based these statements on has...disappeared?
DTV = Digital Television

#117 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

So she should taunt a potential partner while talks were still going on. Unprofessional.

She works for Cal, not the Pac12. She is not involved in the negotiations, her job is to see her school's sports succeed.

I understand you are on the East Coast but for us on the West Coast this is a big deal and a very much wanted/desired channel.

#118 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

She works for Cal, not the Pac12. She is not involved in the negotiations, her job is to see her school's sports succeed.

I understand you are on the East Coast but for us on the West Coast this is a big deal and a very much wanted/desired channel.

So I don't understand professional decorum because I don't understand how much this means to you. Okay. She could've gotten comcast quietly. Or, she could have watched on line. I'm sure they turned on her account. Or better yet, she should be attending games. It was a cheap publicity stunt by a woman who taunted from the beginning on that super professional twitter. Yup. A real sense of decorum, that one.

And as this is a PAC 12 deal as she doesn't work for the PAC 12, she should get out of the way.

#119 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

When you work for a conference school you represent both when you make public statements such as that.

Those of you on the west coast can blame the shoddy job done by PAC-12 for not providing a product attractive enough to what is by far the most successful and powerful satellite provider in the country.

DISH is desperate and flailing in an attempt to make up for many stumbles of late. They'll agree to bad deals to keep from falling farther behind.
DTV = Digital Television

#120 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,562 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

[re:Sandy Barbour, Cal AD]

Much better stated than my rude statement. And, yes, I thought her video was boorish and not in keeping with Cal or any of the UC system.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall