Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PAC-12 and DISH have deal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
681 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Fog627

Fog627

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:59 PM

Ah, "Social Media"...the new "They Said" in authoritative sources.... :)

photo.jpg                NBC-Premier-Feature-300x150.jpg                      mzl.qyoyojll.100x100-75.png

Pac-12 Network...please                        Premier League Extra Time...please                            NBC Sports Live Extra...please

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:00 PM

When you work for a conference school you represent both when you make public statements such as that.

Those of you on the west coast can blame the shoddy job done by PAC-12 for not providing a product attractive enough to what is by far the most successful and powerful satellite provider in the country.

DISH is desperate and flailing in an attempt to make up for many stumbles of late. They'll agree to bad deals to keep from falling farther behind.

She works for the school and the state....not the Pac12. I don't see your argument here....the Pac12 has deals with 4 of the 5 largest providers....DirecTV is the current holdout. I am not going to argue with you over stupid statements. You can think and feel what you want and I have my feelings. If you don't want the channel that is fine but to argue with us that do want it is totally unproductive. I didn't get upset or complain when AMC or another channel I don't want was added in HD so I don't get why some of you have to put those of us that want a channel, have read up on it for the last year plus, and care about the teams involved. This isn't a CFB channel, they are covering all sports...

#123 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:24 PM

http://www.azcentral...talks-slow.html

But talks with DirecTV appear to have slowed down, and a source from the satellite company said Saturday, "there's definitely a willingness to ride it out."

#124 OFFLINE   BigJ52

BigJ52

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:47 PM

I want the Pac 12 channel, but not going to throw a fit about it. Not going to lie though would like to be able to watch this Arizona vs. Okie State game right now without having to watch it on a stream.

#125 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,304 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

You can't get all 7 networks, even if you wanted to pay for all of them.

True ... but here is the secret ...
There are not seven networks.

Pac-12 presents their feeds as seven networks on their website but what they have is one main feed and six variations. Yesterday until 3pm ET (12noon PT) all seven were showing the same content. Then three football games started ... and each of the seven feeds continued with one of the three games (whichever game was appropriate for that feed). Similar to the way ABC offers different games in different areas of the country and the other game ends up on ESPN.

As there were only three games being played at that time the content seen on all seven networks could be seen on three channels. DISH had them on their PAC12 channel (413) and two alt channels. If DirecTV had carriage rights (and I hope they work out a deal) they would likely do the same thing.

There may be peak moments in the future when all seven channels will have something different - but carriage of seven 24/7 channels is not needed to deliver all of the Pac12 content that is aired on TV.

#126 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

The only reason I don't want DirecTV to pick up this channel is because I'm so sick of sports programming driving up our monthly bills. It's ridiculous how much programming costs are now a days. And the main culprit is sports programming. It's outrageous. This is no knock on the PAC-12 but the amount ESPN and Fox paid to air their programming is way overpriced. I would say that about any conference except maybe the SEC. I've had it and I don't understand how any of you can condone it. If the PAC-12 got that big of a contract just imagine how big of a contract the SEC is going to get when they renegotiate and how big the Big Ten is going to get in two years. It scares the crap out of me because of monthly bills for tv service is going to sky rocket. We pay entirely too much right now and it's all because of sports. And I'm a huge sports fan but it's getting out of hand. Sorry to bitch. End of rant. :)
Go Big Red!!!

#127 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

I want the PAC-12 network so I can dump Comcast again, but I agree, the entire situation is untenable; something has to break in this model.

But on the other hand DirecTV is protecting profits as much as any content provider. They're not looking out for us, they're protecting their margins and stockholders, we get this mixed up a lot.

#128 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

I want the PAC-12 network so I can dump Comcast again, but I agree, the entire situation is untenable; something has to break in this model.

But on the other hand DirecTV is protecting profits as much as any content provider. They're not looking out for us, they're protecting their margins and stockholders, we get this mixed up a lot.

Yes, they are protecting their margins but in return that also keeps my monthly bill down. So it's a win win for the both of us. :)
Go Big Red!!!

#129 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,832 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:24 PM

Come on folks,

I am not trying to shut down all Pac12 discussion. But it keeps devolving to the same arguments by the same people. It was appropriate to start a new thread because there was news, but this thread has gone off the rails again and become another general anticipation thread.

The next time this happens I will have to start issuing bans.

Please get back to topic, that topic being DISH's deal with pac-12. If there is no more to say about that, then there should be no more posts in this thread.

It truly saddens me that I have to police a relatively small number of people who seem to spread the same poor attitudes and untruths.

If you have already said it, don't say "as I already said," just don't say it again.

Thank you.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#130 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:25 PM

Is your monthly bill really down? It's probably gone up a lot over the past ten years.

#131 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:36 PM

Is your monthly bill really down? It's probably gone up a lot over the past ten years.

That's my point exactly. The reason it keeps going up at such a fast rate is because of sports programming. I'm a huge Nebraska fan. I'm 30 and have grown up watching any Nebraska sports, went and graduated from Nebraska and live in Louisiana and if the Big Ten were in the same situation as the PAC-12 I would have no problem with DirecTV acting the way they are about the PAC-12 Network. None of the niche sporting networks are worth the amount of money they want per subscriber unless they are put in to a separate package as DirecTV wants to do with the PAC-12 Network. That way the basic programming subscriber doesn't have to pay for an overpriced network unless they want to view it.
Go Big Red!!!

#132 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,731 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:39 PM

Pac-12 website shows the seven as one "network" feed and six regionals.
http://video.pac-12.com/networks

I don't know what that translates to on their uplinks to carriers ... if Pac-12 produces seven 24/7 feeds that each cable system picks from and they initially expected DirecTV to carry all seven. Carrying the one main feed and adding the others as alts when the content varies would seem to work just as well (unless the advertising was different on each regional feed).

It still takes up a lot of alternate slots (assuming there will be a day where all seven are different) but one 24/7 feed plus alts should be workable.

That may be the case today, but I suspect by December 2013, if not sooner, you will see very little programming the same on these regional networks, except the big games (football and some basketball ones) That seems to be where they are headed and have been all along. I suspect we will see a gradual differentiation between the channels as the months go by. Plus I think they plan on showing about 150% - 200% more shows next year than they are going to show this year....

SO the question then will be, what will Dish do if they only have the main network? I suspect that even though the lineups will all be different, you will still get all the games, just you will get your local teams live, and other regions on tape delay, and if Dish is good with that, then they wont have an issue. If not, then it should be interesting to see where this heads.

#133 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:45 PM

Well, to say DirecTV "has our back," isn't exactly truthful. I love DirecTV, but we're in a three-way tug-o-war and no one is looking out for anyone else except for themselves, no matter how they mask it.

#134 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:06 PM

She works for the school and the state....not the Pac12. I don't see your argument here....the Pac12 has deals with 4 of the 5 largest providers....DirecTV is the current holdout. I am not going to argue with you over stupid statements. You can think and feel what you want and I have my feelings. If you don't want the channel that is fine but to argue with us that do want it is totally unproductive. I didn't get upset or complain when AMC or another channel I don't want was added in HD so I don't get why some of you have to put those of us that want a channel, have read up on it for the last year plus, and care about the teams involved. This isn't a CFB channel, they are covering all sports...

False. She works for the university and by the association of it's membership in the PAC-12...represents both the university and the PAC-12 when making public statements in relation to both. When a conference affiliated university athletic director conducts herself in an unprofessional, inflammatory, and counterproductive manner...it reflects poorly on the university and conference she represents.

Why haven't you placed any blame for the two sides not reaching a deal on the PAC-12? There are only two national service providers in the entire country: Dish Network and DirecTV. That's a different ballgame than the cable providers. As has already been mentioned...DISH couldn't afford to let yet another deal slip by.

#135 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

That's my point exactly. The reason it keeps going up at such a fast rate is because of sports programming.

This Cardinal (Beat Cal!!!!!!) fan agrees with you.

And just wait until CBS, NBC and Fox renegotiate carriage fees. They're paying 60% more for NFL rights, starting in 2014. Within 4 years, I'd be wiling to bet that we'll be paying eight dollars a month just for ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and Univision. Other local channels will be extra.

And it'll be b/c of sports.

And so many of you will say it's worth it.
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#136 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,304 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:20 PM

That may be the case today, but I suspect by December 2013, if not sooner, you will see very little programming the same on these regional networks, except the big games (football and some basketball ones) That seems to be where they are headed and have been all along. I suspect we will see a gradual differentiation between the channels as the months go by. Plus I think they plan on showing about 150% - 200% more shows next year than they are going to show this year....

SO the question then will be, what will Dish do if they only have the main network? I suspect that even though the lineups will all be different, you will still get all the games, just you will get your local teams live, and other regions on tape delay, and if Dish is good with that, then they wont have an issue. If not, then it should be interesting to see where this heads.

If they can get enough other content running to keep all seven feeds separate most of the time it will be a challenge. Since Pac-12 and DISH have worked out a multi-year deal I'd say that whatever Pac-12 has planned, the parties to the contract have worked out what will happen when that occurs.

#137 ONLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:53 PM

DirecTV basically just came out and said they won't have this network anytime soon, maybe not for the entire school year.

#138 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:24 AM

where did they say that.

DirecTV basically just came out and said they won't have this network anytime soon, maybe not for the entire school year.

#139 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:57 AM

Stop spreading rumors you cannot back up.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#140 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:38 AM

"Pictures or it didn't happen..."
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

spam firewall