Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722 Keeps Disconnecting From EHD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ryan8886

ryan8886

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

I've done a couple searches but can't seem to find the answer i need. I'm on my 2nd replacement 722 in the last three months. Not sure what that's all about...but that's not the problem. With both replacements, my Western Digital EHD keeps randomly getting disconnected from the 722. Once it did it right in the middle of the movie i was watching. I get an error that pops up saying an incompatible device is attached. I've done several soft and hard reboots on both the drive and the 722 but the problem persists. After a hard reboot, the EHD shows up again in My Media but always disconnects again after varying lengths of time. I spoke with a tech on the last 722 and he supposedly re-hit everything, however when I log into my Dish account and look at My Equipment it still indicates that EHD is not enabled. Not sure if that makes a difference or not seeing as it's been in use for years. Any ideas??
Ryan

JVC AV-56WP74 CRT-RPTV
Dish ViP 722 HD-DVR
Oppo DV-981HD
Logitech Harmony 880
Harman Kardon AVR 330
Emotiva LPA-1 Amplifier
Fronts: Athena AS-F2.2
Center: Athena AS-C1.2
Surround: Athena AS-B1.2
Subwoofer: SVS 25-31PCi

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 909 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

The online indication does not pertain to the EHD being connected to you receiver. Have you tried connected the EHD to the other USB port? How old is the EHD? Please let me know. Thanks.

I've done a couple searches but can't seem to find the answer i need. I'm on my 2nd replacement 722 in the last three months. Not sure what that's all about...but that's not the problem. With both replacements, my Western Digital EHD keeps randomly getting disconnected from the 722. Once it did it right in the middle of the movie i was watching. I get an error that pops up saying an incompatible device is attached. I've done several soft and hard reboots on both the drive and the 722 but the problem persists. After a hard reboot, the EHD shows up again in My Media but always disconnects again after varying lengths of time. I spoke with a tech on the last 722 and he supposedly re-hit everything, however when I log into my Dish account and look at My Equipment it still indicates that EHD is not enabled. Not sure if that makes a difference or not seeing as it's been in use for years. Any ideas??

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Found (by using many different USB enclosures) during extensive tests (with SW what transferring big chunks of data, like gigabytes per session) MANY of such enclosures are not withstanding , some of them run amok in a minutes, some in a half hour or more. Could be bad chips: overheating, bad FW, etc.
Very unreliable if you'll ask me to provide sustain transfer of big files. So, for the tasks (especially if you work for someone or a company) only SATA/eSATA/SAS/SCSI connection, preferably without any controller inside of the enclosure.

#4 OFFLINE   ryan8886

ryan8886

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

The online indication does not pertain to the EHD being connected to you receiver. Have you tried connected the EHD to the other USB port? How old is the EHD? Please let me know. Thanks.

Hi Ray

I've not tried the other port yet. I should've thought about that. Duh! Will swap ports to see of that resolves it. The EHD is about four or five years old. It's a WD 500gig originally used on my old 622.
Ryan

JVC AV-56WP74 CRT-RPTV
Dish ViP 722 HD-DVR
Oppo DV-981HD
Logitech Harmony 880
Harman Kardon AVR 330
Emotiva LPA-1 Amplifier
Fronts: Athena AS-F2.2
Center: Athena AS-C1.2
Surround: Athena AS-B1.2
Subwoofer: SVS 25-31PCi

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

Try to test on PC using test program in read-only mode, many of them could do that.
You'll need to do some test by yourself, no Ray or anyone here will do that for you ...

#6 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

I would suspect that, with what you have done so far, the WD drive or it's power supply is getting very flakey. I would do like PSmith suggests and test it on a PC. WD has software you can download to do this.
Also I would get another new drive and try it on your 722.

I had an external drive that had a power supply that failed, not Western Digital but can happen to any drive. The voltage out was still proper but just couldn't supply enough current to keep it spinning.

PS. I found a compatible power supply at a local PC store and drive is now working again.

Edited by Grandude, 09 September 2012 - 10:34 AM.
added PS.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

spam firewall