Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Getting Hopper and Two Joey's Tomorrow

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

I am a Directv user but was thinking about switching to the Hopper 6 tuners is great but the feature that will get me to switch is the commercial killer ! I love that feature ! my problem is once i get it can Dish turn that feature off in the near future ? Because the TV industry is going after Dish to remove it ! Replay TV years ago had the same feature and they got sued and went bankrupt

Just to be clear, the Hopper only has three tuners (unless you are meaning to get two Hoppers), during prime time, one can be used to record the big four networks to make six at once. It is not full time and you cannot choose different channels and if Dish does not supply all four of the networks, it would be less. And yes, if Dish loses the lawsuits on the auto hop, it would be turned off.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

I am a Directv user but was thinking about switching to the Hopper 6 tuners is great but the feature that will get me to switch is the commercial killer ! I love that feature ! my problem is once i get it can Dish turn that feature off in the near future ? Because the TV industry is going after Dish to remove it ! Replay TV years ago had the same feature and they got sued and went bankrupt

One H2k has THREE tuners !

#23 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

Auto Hop is only on the local networks not on USA, SCIFI, etc..
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#24 OFFLINE   Janeen

Janeen

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:59 PM

Whew! Very rough start today.

End result - I got my Hopper!

Back story (stop yawning!) the DH & I were full-timers in an RV, roaming from town to town from Canada to Mexico and from California to Maine and all the states in-between. :) After 8 long years of this in a 38 ft travel trailer with the DH, 2 dogs, & 4 cats picked up along the way, we were ready to quit and settle in a stick & brick in southern Texas.

So, when we moved in to the old homestead the DH put up the DISH satellite himself, because that's what you do when you full-time in an RV, you put your SAT up then take it down, over & over. We have a little tuner box that allows us to adjust it and have no problems getting all SAT's in 110, 119, & 129. He put it up by the chimney, drilled holes in the roof, dropped the lines in, sealed the holes, mounted the bracket with 3/4 lag bolts (DISH requires only 1/2 in BTW). We got all channels great! He's a handy man I've been married to for 45 years. ;)

Well, I was originally suppose to get the Hopper on Saturday, but Bob said he wasn't allowed to drill a hole in the roof to drop the other cable he needed for the Hopper. That we needed a new satellite, that he would have to mount the new one to the edge of the roof, that the cable would be run on the outside of the house, blah, blah, blah. :nono: :mad: We said, uhh, no, you won't, we want it where it's at, period. After much talk he was going to do the job, then all of a sudden he says he can't drill the hole in the roof and can't do the job (after 2 1/2 hours). So, I was 'Hopping' mad! Plus Bob told me I was going to have to pay $50 for every line dropped down the walls for the Joey's! Which Sales had failed to inform me, even though I specifically asked if it would cost extra to run a new cable down the wall as the house was built in 1967 and didn't have existing cable!

I got on the phone with DISH for over an hour and a half. We all agreed that the satellite could be left where it was and they would waive the $100 Hopper fee and one of the $50 Joey fees since I've been with them for 8 years.

So, when the men came today I thought all was well. NOT! DH comes in and tells me they are saying same thing as Bob! So I went out and said what's up with DISH? The right hand (sales) obviously doesn't know what the left hand (techs) is doing! So while they are on the phone with their supervisor I get on the phone once again with the Sales people. Beverly assures me the job can get done. I take the phone outside, put it on speaker and tell the guys, okay, here's what Beverly is saying. She talked to the hub (whatever the heck that is) and they said good to go. The guys tell her, no there's a liability issue about where the satellite is located and they talked to the hub and they said they couldn't do the job!

I tell them all, I'll sign a waiver, or my DH can get up there and drill the stupid hole and drop the line to them in the attic for Pete's sake! They say no they can't. I told Bev, thanks but I'll handle from here. I tell them to get their manager on the phone and let me talk to him. They did. I did. I explained to Al all of the above and that we were not moving the DISH and the Time Warner was now available in our area and Direct TV's whole home set-up was looking better and better. How about the guys just 'accidentally' leave some cable here, I set-up a new appointment, they come back and magically they only have to get in the attic to complete the job. He said, oh, I see what you are saying. He wants to talk to one of the guys. They talk, the guys come back and voile! Now they can do the job, leave the satellite where it is located, blah, blah, blah.

So, now I have a new toy to play with. I will say I do love it already! The new style of setting up your tuners for programming. Being able to see what each room is watching. The tuners being able to 'hop' from room to room if you start recording on tuner 1, but it's in the living room and you want to watch something different, you just switch channels, okay it that you want the live TV in that room and the recording 'hops' to the next available tuner! Fan-freaking-tasic! I love that the guide has the Network Icon next to it so you actually know what that channel is, lol.

If anyone is wondering about switching up from the Vip722K to the Hopper, I would recommend it! I'm loving it so far, but will update later if I find any 'kinks' in the Hopper's armor.

Sorry such a long post, but hope no one else has as much problem getting it installed! :nono2:

And thanks to you guys, when they started explaining the system and the Joey's I actually was able to understand them because of this forum. I love this place and will pick your brains again if I have any questions. You guys are so helpful and this old woman appreciates it! :D

#25 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

:) Always glad to hear a good story like that. Way to stick to your guns! :)

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#26 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

Congrats.

Two months in and I'm still liking my Hopper and Joeys.

Only one reboot and one missed recording.

#27 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

Auto Hop is only on the local networks not on USA, SCIFI, etc..

I wonder why only locals ? and not the other channels. Is it some sort of added code that dish adds to the stream

#28 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

Just to be clear, the Hopper only has three tuners (unless you are meaning to get two Hoppers), during prime time, one can be used to record the big four networks to make six at once. It is not full time and you cannot choose different channels and if Dish does not supply all four of the networks, it would be less. And yes, if Dish loses the lawsuits on the auto hop, it would be turned off.

WOW When i read the DIsh website it said 6 ! How miss leading is THAT ! grrr

"Hopper and Joey Features:
•Never miss another show - the DISH Hopper records up to 6 programs at the same time during Primetime"

#29 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:55 AM

•Never miss another show - the DISH Hopper records up to 6 programs at the same time during Primetime"

How you missed main thread here ? Where the "3 tuners/6 programs" gimmick discussed ad nauseum.

#30 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

Guess you missed the fine print (and it is there). It basically is true, but it is also misleading.

#31 OFFLINE   Janeen

Janeen

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

Once I understood that 1 tuner is actually recording FOUR different shows at once and I then had 2 additional tuners to either record on both or record on one and watch live TV on one, it was quite clear and I think great!

I love it. I have had a chance to play with it now for a few days and about the only down side, for me, is that I can't make as many 'groups' or as they are now called 'folders' as I could on the Vip722K. Other than that, the Hopper has many more features the 722 didn't have.

For just the DH (Dear Husband) and I, the 1 Hopper & 2 Joey's work fantastic.....so far. ;)

Quote: "Hopper and Joey Features:

Key words there are: during Primetime

Protected By... spam firewall...And...