Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Starting another Account

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

I was wondering what has to be done to add another service address for Directv service.

I'm switching my 71 year old mother to Directv from non digital cable.

But I want to keep the account in my name and I don't want it combind on my bill, unless there is an atvantage.

I only Want the H25 and Choice ultimate pack. But I want it installed, do you think I could get a discount or a rebate toward the install?

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

Have you not called DirecTV?

#3 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:32 AM

Have you not called DirecTV?

I called them , I kept getting transfered to the wrong department, I finally after 20 minutes got connected to New Sales, and they claimed i was directed to the wrong department. That they were New customers only! So thats where I got. No where, This should have been a simple phone call. So now I'm here!

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#4 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

You might be giving them too much information.

Just call as new customer, use your mother's address (and name even) and then set up autopay using your bank.

And as a new customer, she will probably get a DVR free, so you might want to spring for that.

#5 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:41 AM

You might be giving them too much information.

Just call as new customer, use your mother's address (and name even) and then set up autopay using your bank.

And as a new customer, she will probably get a DVR free, so you might want to spring for that.

Problem is I want it in my name so I can deal with Directv. I had 2 accounts with cable, wasn't an issue.

If i need to change or add programming or anything, its best its in my name.

MY mom has a hard enough time using a regular box , DVR is not an option. we don't want the added expenses, 1 Box HD with auto pay I would do to off set the HD charge.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#6 OFFLINE   canekid

canekid

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

Why can't you pretend to be the male member of the family, residing at that address? You can still use your name and it will still be a new account.

As an example, there are over 100 people in the US with my name. DTV's computers have to not only create accounts with the same name, but they also go by address and phone number.

Just start a new account, at her address and don't say anything else. Setup AutoBill pay with you CC on the web site. When you call in for service, and if they say, is this your phone number, say no it's the other number, which is your mom's house.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Setup: HR34-700 - Samsung 48" 1080p / HR20-700 - HTPC Slave & DVR Server / H25-100 - Westinghouse 37" 1080p
Notes:Yes I have a Samsung TV. When it quits, I will buy Sony instead

#7 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:55 AM

OK well, no one has the same SS Number, with the same phone number, and same bank account as my self. Clearly I would not be a new customer once they checked even one of these.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#8 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

BTW, you're being a good son.

#9 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

I don't work in the call center, so take what I say with the knowledge it isn't first hand.

2nd Accounts are created by generating a movers off the first account.

The receivers do not automatically go to the new account when activated. When the tech closes the order the old account gets the new receiver and the 2nd account's service address.

After the installation is done someone(you or the tech) would have to call in to get the receiver moved to the new account and the address for your old account corrected.

Because you would not be a new customer, you do not get any new customer promotions. If you do not qualify for any equipment upgrades, you would have to pay full price for the receiver.

If she decides to cancel the 2nd account, you can merge her account into yours acquiring her receivers(and restarting your commitment).

Best of luck. My guess would be you would have to call the movers department to get it setup. If you want it under your name, do not mention your mother, just say you have a 2nd house.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#10 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

Use your mom's SSN, address and phone number. When you call in, they may ask you the last 4 SSN on the account, but you'll have that. My wife, who isn't on our account, has made changes and since she knew the home number and my last 4, they didn't even hesitate to make the changes.

Maybe one of the CSRs on here can give you better info as to how to have it all under your name, different addresses and the bills not combined.

#11 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

Use your mom's SSN, address and phone number. When you call in, they may ask you the last 4 SSN on the account, but you'll have that. My wife, who isn't on our account, has made changes and since she knew the home number and my last 4, they didn't even hesitate to make the changes.

Maybe one of the CSRs on here can give you better info as to how to have it all under your name, different addresses and the bills not combined.

OK you guys are missing the point. It needs to be in my name. She is getting old and her heath is not great. I'm not looking to score a 4 room system for free. I want one room, HD with choice ultimate. OK Thats $200 at most upfront. Big deal , I just want to see if you think they would still install it at no cost.

Thats it I want it in MY NAME!!

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#12 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

I don't work in the call center, so take what I say with the knowledge it isn't first hand.

2nd Accounts are created by generating a movers off the first account.

The receivers do not automatically go to the new account when activated. When the tech closes the order the old account gets the new receiver and the 2nd account's service address.

After the installation is done someone(you or the tech) would have to call in to get the receiver moved to the new account and the address for your old account corrected.

Because you would not be a new customer, you do not get any new customer promotions. If you do not qualify for any equipment upgrades, you would have to pay full price for the receiver.

If she decides to cancel the 2nd account, you can merge her account into yours acquiring her receivers(and restarting your commitment).

Best of luck. My guess would be you would have to call the movers department to get it setup. If you want it under your name, do not mention your mother, just say you have a 2nd house.

I wouldn't be moving anything though. I want to Start another seperate account. I don't want it tied to my account, or this service address. Totally different account and location. Sounds like DIRECTV doesn't get it. Your telling me the same as them. The power company, Phone ,Cable, oil companys had no issue, done in 5 minutes!

This is not a hard request! Add a 2nd account to my name. Simple.

What if I lease a H25 from solid signal and put up the other Slimline 5 myself I have sitting in my shed. Then what?

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#13 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

I wouldn't be moving anything though. I want to Start another seperate account. I don't want it tied to my account, or this service address. Totally different account and location. Sounds like DIRECTV doesn't get it. Your telling me the same as them. The power company, Phone ,Cable, oil companys had no issue, done in 5 minutes!

This is not a hard request! Add a 2nd account to my name. Simple.

What if I lease a H25 from solid signal and put up the other Slimline 5 myself I have sitting in my shed. Then what?

It's stupid, but that's how DirecTV sets up 2nd accounts under the same person. It would still be 2 separate accounts with 2 separate bills.

I'm not sure how they'd do it if you installed your own. All I know is every once in a while I get a movers that says, "activate to account #xxxxxxxx, this is for a 2nd account."
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#14 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

It's stupid, but that's how DirecTV sets up 2nd accounts under the same person. It would still be 2 separate accounts with 2 separate bills.

I'm not sure how they'd do it if you installed your own. All I know is every once in a while I get a movers that says, "activate to account #xxxxxxxx, this is for a 2nd account."

OK, well I guess, i'll just do the install myself, and tell them its my 2nd home when I activate the receiver.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#15 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for your help. I know for sure where to go if I want info on pulling a fast one on Directv if I need too.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#16 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

I pay my mother's phone bill using Auto bill pay to my CC ( she is 89 ).
Her name is on the account. I got her to call them and list me as an authorized person on the account.
As such, I can make any changes that I want to do. I recently added some features to her plan and did it on the net. She did not even know it until it was working. I then explained it to her.

Can't DirecTV do this ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#17 OFFLINE   hfa

hfa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

I have taken care of a late 70s mother with demenia and a husband with cancer and had to take care of business. The power company and cable company use a vacation loophole to give 2nd accts to the same person. The guys are right use your mom as a new customer and have you listed as a person to pay the bill,change programming and deal with your moms business. This way she gets new customer install and credits and you have the power to handle her acts. A tip here, some where in dealing with your mom as things progress with sickness and age, each state requires a signed paper by her to do all business, legal and health issues with her. If you do not want to do that , go to a local dealer and have him install. Not sure under your name it will be free or credits.

#18 OFFLINE   markfp

markfp

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

Let me ask the OP a question. Are you switching her to DirecTV because she wants it or because you want it? In your post you only say what you want, not ever what she wants. I only ask because a lot of times older people don't like change. They're happy with what they have and as long as cable has the programs she wants maybe that's the way to go.

#19 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

Let me ask the OP a question. Are you switching her to DirecTV because she wants it or because you want it? In your post you only say what you want, not ever what she wants. I only ask because a lot of times older people don't like change. They're happy with what they have and as long as cable has the programs she wants maybe that's the way to go.

They definitely do not like change,
but,
if they call you for help it is really nice to have the same system they do so you can step them thru what to do.
My mother has cable and it is difficult when she has a problem or wants to know where a show is on her TV. I have to go online and pull up her guide and try to find it. If something happens to the system it gets even more difficult.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#20 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

On two different occasions I have called and told them I wanted service, in my name, at a additional residence with the statement sent to my primary. I did this when my daughters were away in school. There was absolutely no questions asked. This was a few years ago, I cant imagine them not wanting to extend additional business to an established account.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...