Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Starting another Account

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,727 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:48 PM

It really might pay off for you, damondlt, if you outline exactly why you want a second service in your name. Suggestions that might work better for your ultimate goals could result. (if we know what they are, that is.)

Edit: Or someone might come along and give good reasons why having it in her name makes sense. Now, you may well have reasons that countermand that. If so, what??

Edited by Laxguy, 09 September 2012 - 04:06 PM.
CSGOs post!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   csgo

csgo

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

OK you guys are missing the point. It needs to be in my name. She is getting old and her heath is not great. I'm not looking to score a 4 room system for free. I want one room, HD with choice ultimate. OK Thats $200 at most upfront. Big deal , I just want to see if you think they would still install it at no cost.

Thats it I want it in MY NAME!!

I have a similar situation and all I did was have my mom tell them on the phone that I was authorized to administer the account.

There are benefits in having in your mom's name... not yours. First off, in the unfortunate event that she passes away before the end of any commitment it will be waived if it's in her name. If it's in your name you're still responsible.

Secondly, as a new customer she will get free install, equipment, etc. They probably won't give it to you.

You can do most things online anyway... so it doesn't matter who's name is on the account as long as you have the username and password.

Good luck.

#23 OFFLINE   j4quattro

j4quattro

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:13 PM

Why can't it be put all in your mom's name and address? Add your name as In Care of:xxxx xxxx.

#24 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,954 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

Let me ask the OP a question. Are you switching her to DirecTV because she wants it or because you want it? In your post you only say what you want, not ever what she wants. I only ask because a lot of times older people don't like change. They're happy with what they have and as long as cable has the programs she wants maybe that's the way to go.

She has digital Basic Plus that runs $72 per month. What do you think?;)

DIRECTV :Since 5/13/2012
HR34-700 / HR24-500 / HR23-700 / H25-100 / D12-200 /   Roku HD

Living Room       Master bedroom     Bedroom  2         Bedroom 3    Office/Bedroom 4      bedroom 5
Slimline 5  / SWiM 16 with CCK / MRV / 15/2 Mbps Blue ridge cable Internet
Premier / MLB EI /  HD Extra /  Protection Plan

#25 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

Just put it in her name and put you on the account as an authorized person to make changes. Make your address the billing address. Problems solved. You will have the advantage of getting some of the new customer deals that you are entitled to. No one is accusing you of trying to game the system

#26 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

He is not asking for the best way to get a cheap bill. OP is wondering why he called D* and they could not quickly setup a second account.

dielray was mostly correct with his original post. Call D* and ask to speak to the movers department. Let them know you want service at a new address that will be used at the same time as your current address. They will setup a movers order because that is the only order that allows installation at a location other than your primary address.

Don't install it yourself without telling them that you have another location. It's fraud to have one account servicing more than one physical address. Just a heads up.

#27 OFFLINE   tenpins

tenpins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

Sorry IMHO this is not a movers. Movers is for physically moving from address A to address B. I believe that it is a new customer (referal) acct in mother's name, billing info under his name, with the mom's address. just my .02

#28 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

Sorry IMHO this is not a movers. Movers is for physically moving from address A to address B. I believe that it is a new customer (referal) acct in mother's name, billing info under his name, with the mom's address. just my .02

Except the OP is adamant he wants the account in his name.

#29 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

Indeed, I didn't even think about the referral. I don't know why you wouldn't sign your mother up under her name, get the $100 referral, and simply have yourself listed as an authorized person on the account to make changes. You can even setup the login to the online account management yourself so that you can login and modify her account as needed.

#30 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

Just to recap because this question has been answered a number of times:

1. If the OP wants a 2nd account in his name he needs to use the movers program, period. This is Directv's way of setting up this type of account. He may be eligible for discounts on equipment or programming, or may not. Any calls to set up a new account with his existing information through the new accounts department will quickly run into problems, as he has already seen.

2. Have his mother set up the account using her name. She has the responsibility for the bill and without sounding too crass, if she cannot fulfill the 2 yr commitment (due to her stated poor health) the OP is not responsible for the ECF. He can be added as an authorized party and can set up auto bill pay from his account.

These are the only 2 above board ways to make this happen.

#31 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

She has digital Basic Plus that runs $72 per month. What do you think?;)

What do you think a 1 room Choice Ultimate package w/ HD runs per month...$85.99.

#32 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

Not to be crass here, but if you get this account in your name, and in 4-6 months, your mom, who you stated is not in good health passes you will be on the hook for the ETF, or you have to pay out the commitment.

If you get it in her name, and you just become an authorized user, and pay the bill yourself, and she passes in 6 months, the account can be canceled and no contract commitment.

#33 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

Call in ask for the movers department. Tell them you want to setup a second account and they'll take care of it.

With that you're better off putting it in your mothers name but just paying the bill for her. It will be better for both of you in the long run. Just be there when they activate it and then have her add you as an authorized user and you'll be fine.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#34 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:56 AM

What do you think a 1 room Choice Ultimate package w/ HD runs per month...$85.99.

Yep, your right, but I'm paying the bill now. ;)
She will get about 35 more channels, a Guide, Encore pack which she loves when she comes to our house. I will get 24/7 tech support. Channels won't be stretched and cutoff on her brand new HD TV.

Its funny cause I guess many of have no clue what a Basic plus cable is. And who in their right mind would pay $72 per month for it.
But yet, think they have to state the obvious!. We know the prices of Directv thanks!!!

If I wanted the Digital Cable Equal to choice ultimate pack, its $84.94, plus state and local taxes., Satellite is only State sales tax.
$.50 for the jack, and $4.00 for HD box, and no the first box is not free, its just discounted $1. So thats over $100 with taxes.

Edited by damondlt, 10 September 2012 - 06:07 AM.

Living Room       Master bedroom     Bedroom  2         Bedroom 3    Office/Bedroom 4      bedroom 5

#35 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:08 AM

Call in ask for the movers department. Tell them you want to setup a second account and they'll take care of it.

With that you're better off putting it in your mothers name but just paying the bill for her. It will be better for both of you in the long run. Just be there when they activate it and then have her add you as an authorized user and you'll be fine.

Will do that today. Thanks!

#36 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:10 AM

He is not asking for the best way to get a cheap bill. OP is wondering why he called D* and they could not quickly setup a second account.

dielray was mostly correct with his original post. Call D* and ask to speak to the movers department. Let them know you want service at a new address that will be used at the same time as your current address. They will setup a movers order because that is the only order that allows installation at a location other than your primary address.

Don't install it yourself without telling them that you have another location. It's fraud to have one account servicing more than one physical address. Just a heads up.

Thank you, Gald someone read anything I wrote!:)

#37 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:44 AM

Thank you, Gald someone read anything I wrote!:)

We all read what you wrote, but what you wrote didn't make sense. There are better and easier ways to accomplish what you're trying to do. It'd be way cheaper if you set her up with a new account in her name and use your account as a referral.

#38 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,727 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

No one is questioning your decision to get DIRECTV® for your mother, just the way you want to go.

Are you able to say why you think you need to put her service in your name??
Mover's package does not seem right in any way, though I am hardly an expert in that area.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#39 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 143 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

I completely understand your reasoning for wanting service in your name, but I just wanted to offer my two cents based on personal experience:

Our directv account was in my GF's name and her SSN. I was an authorized user on the account, the account was tied to my email address and used my name and credit card for autopay. I had no issues adding, removing or updating programming/services on the account - I was even able to cancel service. The only issue was if I decided to stop paying on the account and my GF wasn't aware, any negative credit implications would be reflected on her and not me.

DirecTV will not change the name/SSN on the account for any reason. Due to this fact, I cancelled the GF's service and started a new account under my name. That is really the only thing you'd need to keep in mind with this approach.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#40 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:15 AM

Mover's package does not seem right in any way, though I am hardly an expert in that area.

Four different DirecTV employees wrote you have to use Movers if you want a second account in your name. Just the way they do it.

spam firewall