Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Starting another Account

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

We all read what you wrote, but what you wrote didn't make sense. There are better and easier ways to accomplish what you're trying to do. It'd be way cheaper if you set her up with a new account in her name and use your account as a referral.

You can decide to repair your car when it breaks down and it would be cheaper but more work. You can pay a technician which is easier but more expensive. He is taking the more expensive but easier route.
He would like it in his name so he has complete control. Authorized users are still limited to the changes they can make. Also if there was an issue and she needed to move in with him or, God forbid, she was no longer with us, he would be able to merge the 2 accounts as they are both in his name and he would be able to absorb her newer receiver to his account. At that point, the longer commitment out of the 2 accounts is the only commitment kept.

He does have a cheaper route but that is not what he is asking about. You may have a different suggestion for the route you would take but he's asking what he needs to do to have the account setup the way he wants it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

You can decide to repair your car when it breaks down and it would be cheaper but more work. You can pay a technician which is easier but more expensive. He is taking the more expensive but easier route.
He would like it in his name so he has complete control. Authorized users are still limited to the changes they can make. Also if there was an issue and she needed to move in with him or, God forbid, she was no longer with us, he would be able to merge the 2 accounts as they are both in his name and he would be able to absorb her newer receiver to his account. At that point, the longer commitment out of the 2 accounts is the only commitment kept.

He does have a cheaper route but that is not what he is asking about. You may have a different suggestion for the route you would take but he's asking what he needs to do to have the account setup the way he wants it.

Thank you , Exactly!:)

IF There is a commitment regaurdless, so why not make it mine and not hers. :confused:

I think its crappy that Directv would make me commit on my second account, if I'm not entiltled to any benifits and paying full upfront lease and programming fee's. Just my 2 cents!

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#43 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,304 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

Thank you , Exactly!:)

IF There is a commitment regaurdless, so why not make it mine and not hers. :confused:

I think its crappy that Directv would make me commit on my second account, if I'm not entiltled to any benifits and paying full upfront lease and programming fee's. Just my 2 cents!

You still haven't said why this is the way you want it, though others have posited ideas.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#44 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

Read this Lax,

I want complete control, if something happends, I know I'm the one who has to take care of it. Just like the rest of the bills, that are in my name without question.

Me going around and throwing her SS # around, solves nothing, Might as well not even be involved if its not in my name.

Then what if she passes away, then, what, a simple phone call will eliminate her 24 month commitment, Yea I some how doubt that highly! My guess copys of a death certificate would need to be presented, to void the contract, I would put money on that me just telling them she passed would not be acceptable. You know how many people I'm sure tried that to get out of a commitment, Lots I'm sure!
why go through all that, when it could just be in my name.

Edited by damondlt, 10 September 2012 - 05:58 PM.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#45 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,304 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

Fine! Just be aware that should she pre-decease you, if it's in your name, you are stuck for the balance of the commitment. Should you pre-decease her, there are other problems for her and whoever's the successor to your helpfulness.

#46 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

There are Pros and Cons to doing it either way. The decision the OP makes is between him and his mother.

#47 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,304 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

There are Pros and Cons to doing it either way. The decision the OP makes is between him and his mother.

Of course there are pros and cons, as there are to every thing.

And of course it's between him and his Mom, but some of us were trying to get through the demands— to get to the bottom of the matter—to see if we could help him arrive at a possibly better solution.

#48 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:50 AM

There is no benefit to having the account in your name when it's for someone else. I can understand the situation but there are policies in place to deal with canceling the account if something unfortunate were to happen.However it would be in your best interest to sign up a new account using the refer a friend promotion and then add yourself as an authorized user.

This is what I meant to put in my second part of the post. It made it seem like I said to setup a movers and then add her name which is not what is best, nor will they add a second account in someone else's name.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#49 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:22 AM

And of course it's between him and his Mom, but some of us were trying to get through the demands— to get to the bottom of the matter—to see if we could help him arrive at a possibly better solution.

Problem is I want it in my name so I can deal with Directv. I had 2 accounts with cable, wasn't an issue.

If i need to change or add programming or anything, its best its in my name.

MY mom has a hard enough time using a regular box , DVR is not an option. we don't want the added expenses, 1 Box HD with auto pay I would do to off set the HD charge.

OK you guys are missing the point. It needs to be in my name. She is getting old and her heath is not great. I'm not looking to score a 4 room system for free. I want one room, HD with choice ultimate. OK Thats $200 at most upfront. Big deal , I just want to see if you think they would still install it at no cost.

Thats it I want it in MY NAME!!

He has said why he wants it in his name.

It seems most here think he would be better off by getting her a new account than him a second account (for multiple reasons), but he doesn't.

#50 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:33 AM

I called them , I kept getting transfered to the wrong department, I finally after 20 minutes got connected to New Sales, and they claimed i was directed to the wrong department. That they were New customers only! So thats where I got. No where, This should have been a simple phone call. So now I'm here!

Just keep it simple, there are 10.000 John Smith's in their database. Sign up as a new customer on your mother's address using your name. No one is going to question it. You are probably trying to make it way more complicated than it is. Another approach would be: "I have a summer home and I want to setup a DirecTV account for it".
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...