Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 recording of current channel when "off"

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   funkadelic

funkadelic

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

hi folks,

On my HR21-700, when it was off and I turned it back on, I could rewind whatever the current channel was back like an hour or more, which I found useful. On my HR34 it doesn't appear to do that, I could only rewind back to whenever I turned the HR34 on. Is there a way to get this to work on the HR34, or is it not designed to do buffering when off?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,412 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

hi folks,

On my HR21-700, when it was off and I turned it back on, I could rewind whatever the current channel was back like an hour or more, which I found useful. On my HR34 it doesn't appear to do that, I could only rewind back to whenever I turned the HR34 on. Is there a way to get this to work on the HR34, or is it not designed to do buffering when off?

Because of the nature of its code, it doesn't keep buffering while off.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,506 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

hi folks,

It depends on who you talk to. Some people, like myself, think it's a bug and that it should buffer like every other HR. Others think it's by design. No one however has come out and confirmed either.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

That's one of the only things I don't like about my HR34. So I try to keep it on all the time, so it will buffer. No real difference except the front panel is lit up when you leave it on.

The other thing I just discovered is when using DIRECTV2PC to my HR34, it does not show the NFL ST channels I'm recording. So I can't play them on my PC or laptop. It can see them on my HR22, so that seems like a bug as well.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,412 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

It depends on who you talk to. Some people, like myself, think it's a bug and that it should buffer like every other HR. Others think it's by design. No one however has come out and confirmed either.

I've gotten used to my HR2x buffering, so I see your point.
A bug that is never going to be addresses, some may call "by design".
Either way, it doesn't look like it's going to change, and other changes will be forthcoming.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:56 PM

I've gotten used to my HR2x buffering, so I see your point.
A bug that is never going to be addresses, some may call "by design".
Either way, it doesn't look like it's going to change, and other changes will be forthcoming.

Other changes that will impact us in a negative way?
HR34-700, HR22-100

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,412 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

Other changes that will impact us in a negative way?

I'm not sure how to give an answer. "changes" yes, but whether they'll be a plus or a minus :shrug:
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

Since I've had my HR34 for just 10 days, I wasn't sure whether this was a bug or the design of the unit. It sounds like it's the design. Since I, too, miss the buffer, I guess I'll just have to program my Harmony remote to leave the DVR on all the time. As RACJ2 said, it will just mean some extra blue lights are on in my equipment rack. No big sweat.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,412 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

I've had my HR34 for just 10 days,

It's a different animal than we've been used to, so some of our habits will need to adapt. For this we will, over time, have things that we won't get with our other animals.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by vetoldschool
It's a different animal than we've been used to...with our other animals.

:D

(Your point is well taken, BTW. It's wise advice to get used to it as it is and see what develops.)
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,506 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

Since I've had my HR34 for just 10 days, I wasn't sure whether this was a bug or the design of the unit. It sounds like it's the design. Since I, too, miss the buffer, I guess I'll just have to program my Harmony remote to leave the DVR on all the time. As RACJ2 said, it will just mean some extra blue lights are on in my equipment rack. No big sweat.

You can always turn off the lights on the HR34, except the power light, by pressing the left and right arrows on the unit itself. They will dim and then turn off completely. A reboot however will bring them back to full intensity.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   funkadelic

funkadelic

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:46 PM

that's a bummer that the buffer doesn't work on the HR34 unless it's on. Does anyone know if the HR24 does this as well (ie. doesn't buffer unless on)?

#13 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,506 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:48 AM

that's a bummer that the buffer doesn't work on the HR34 unless it's on. Does anyone know if the HR24 does this as well (ie. doesn't buffer unless on)?

The HR24, and all other HR2X's buffer while in standby.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#14 OFFLINE   Spoonie

Spoonie

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

Why would they even remove that feature?

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,412 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:24 PM

Maybe it's more "why didn't they add this feature?"
The code is significantly different than the HR2x, and we can't truly compare them to the HR34.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:28 PM

hi folks,

Just don't turn it off! It saves you nothing by doing do. Test have been run and the difference is something like 1/2 watt or less. There are those who will tell you that when in standby the receiver does "housecleaning." Well that might be so and I must have a very dirty house because I have never "turned off" any of my receivers and have had zero problems.

#17 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,029 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

As VOS said, this is a very different machine, and the way it acts will never be the exact same, even if it often appears to be the same. Its also a RVU server and can do many many more things with its tuners than what a normal HR2X can do. I'd say it will likely never be able to guarantee you a live buffer on the last channel tuned to out of standby with out some major changes that I doubt we will see.

Mr blazers suggestion is probably the best option, although even that will not necessarily guarantee a live buffer on the same channel as when you turned off your tv last...

spam firewall