Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How do you get to your Playlist?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you get to your Playlist? (240 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you get to your Playlist?

1. "LIST" button on the remote (222 votes [92.50%])

Percentage of vote: 92.50%

2. "MENU" > Recordings > My Playlist (12 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

3. I use both methods equally (6 votes [2.50%])

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,783 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

I use the list button 100% of the time, but your poll is missing one choice (and its not OK, OK). Its walk over to your DVR and press the left arrow key. ;) You'll probably get about the same number of response to that, as your getting for the "menu" option.

The LEFT key is equivalent to BACK, so it will only go to the Playlist if that was the last screen you were using, whether from the remote or the front-panel. Thus not a consistent key for accessing the Playlist and therefore not a poll option.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

The LEFT key is equivalent to BACK, so it will only go to the Playlist if that was the last screen you were using, whether from the remote or the front-panel. Thus not a consistent key for accessing the Playlist and therefore not a poll option.

I guess you took me literally. I was just being sarcastic, because I was suggesting what the likelihood was of someone using the menu, etc. when you could use "List". Its about the same as someone walking over to their DVR and having to press a button on it. Well almost.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#43 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

I use a Harmony One remote. "List" is a soft button on the screen, and "Menu" is a hard button. I do not like the soft buttons, so use "Menu".

I think the poll is somewhat flawed in that there is no need to navigate to "My Playlist". Just hit "OK" twice on "Recordings".

On my Harmony 900, same layout as Harmony One, I've programmed the down button (of the up down above the 4 way directional) to be "List". Works great.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#44 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

Nothing but "List"
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#45 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

Is the LIST button on the new remote? Or will it be going away like the Pause button did?

Pause didn't/isn't going away. It's on the same button as play.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#46 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

On my Harmony 900 remote I have a rocker button and I use the bottom part of it as the LIST key. It's not labeled, but I know what it is and it's in a handy location so it works perfectly, but for visitors I also have LIST as a soft button so they can see it when they need it. Best of both worlds!

Same as I have with one exception. Visitors don't use my remote so there's no soft button "list". :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#47 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,975 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

List 100% of the time.

And I have a few year old Monster remote that has a soft button for LIST and use that. With 8 soft buttons on the color display, I can do almost anything with one button push other than scroll the lists and guides.

#48 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

Why do you say this? It should absolutely be available both ways.

I understand that, but the To Do button would be a better option and then bury the Playlist option in the Manage Recordings menu. The poll numbers show that practically nobody uses the Menu option, we'd be better served with the To Do list in it's place. I think.

Rich

#49 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,802 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

The 80/20 rule applies.

80% of the time via LIST.

20% of the time via MENU....mostly bacause I may be in that area for other reasons already.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#50 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 544 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

I've programmed my Harmony Ones + button on the bottom left as my list button. That's how I roll. Or push in this case. :D

#51 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,763 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:20 AM

I understand that, but the To Do button would be a better option and then bury the Playlist option in the Manage Recordings menu. The poll numbers show that practically nobody uses the Menu option, we'd be better served with the To Do list in it's place. I think.

Rich

We have GUIDE>GUIDE, why can't we have LIST>LIST for the to do list? Its a list too. ;)

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 17 September 2012 - 10:37 AM.

#52 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

Rich

I agree with you that having the "To Do" list on the menu would be better. Too many steps to get to it without a macro.

We have GUIDE>GUIDE, why can't we have LIST>LIST for the to do list? Its a list too. ;)

Or better yet, the List>List to bring up the To Do.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#53 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,320 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

I agree with you that having the "To Do" list on the menu would be better. Too many steps to get to it without a macro.Or better yet, the List>List to bring up the To Do.

While I see no reason they couldn't simply add a to do list icon between the playlist and series manager icons, there is no way I'd ever remove the playlist button from where it is on the recordings screen.

I also still think the only people who use the to do list at all are right here on this forum. There's just no reason to access it regularly, if ever. I know everyone's arguments for it, and I have yet to see anything that will change my mind on that.

#54 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,627 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

While I see no reason they couldn't simply add a to do list icon between the playlist and series manager icons, there is no way I'd ever remove the playlist button from where it is on the recordings screen.

I also still think the only people who use the to do list at all are right here on this forum. There's just no reason to access it regularly, if ever. I know everyone's arguments for it, and I have yet to see anything that will change my mind on that.

Isn't it the only place you get told something will NOT record?

As most folks probably only have one dvr, it seems they should use it more.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#55 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,320 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

Isn't it the only place you get told something will NOT record?

As most folks probably only have one dvr, it seems they should use it more.

That's what The priority list is for. If something isn't going to record, it's because you have higher priority things you want to record. If you set up your locals First, and everything else second, you will get everything eventually because cable channels repeat just about everything they air. Half the time or more, if you mess with something in the to do list, you screw up the concept of having a priority list in the first place, and you will then have to manually record everything just canceled to change what's recording, because you manually stopped one recording from taking place to make sure another could. I haven't seen it lately, but several times in the past people where complaining about how the unit didn't record a latter airing, and nine times out of ten at least, it's because that person had changed what was being recorded via the to do list, instead of just changing the priority list. The to do list is a place to manually change things, everywhere else is telling the DVR what you want it to do and it figures out the rest on its own. Letting it do the work is far better and less likely to have you miss recordings.

At least that's my opinion and how it all works out from what I have seen.

#56 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,627 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

Well. If you do guide based single recording, the priority list is broken. Plus shows move. Not all of them repeat so the cable repeat example does not always work.

The ONLY place non recordings show up is in the to do list. Past ones are in the history but that is too late.

I check my to do list regularly. Always have even on TiVo.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#57 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

Adding a To Do icon to the menu would work as well. On your To Do List comment, don't see any reason we need to change your mind. I use it all the time to see what I'm recording that night. Then I decide what order I'm going to watch the recordings. I usually start watching after a recording starts, but before it ends.

Also use it to check if all my smart search recordings are set up to record. Especially during hockey season, to make sure its going to record all my teams games.

And when I had cable, the DVR remote actually had a button to bring up the To Do List. I wish we had one on the DIRECTV remote. Or at least if we had a discrete code for "To Do List" we could program a button on an aftermarket remote. (That along with a PIP On/Off code)
HR34-700, HR22-100

#58 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:24 PM

I'd like to know what other crazy things these 18 people who cycle through the menu, at least occasionally, are up to. :)

#59 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,627 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:43 PM

Adding a To Do icon to the menu would work as well. On your To Do List comment, don't see any reason we need to change your mind. I use it all the time to see what I'm recording that night. Then I decide what order I'm going to watch the recordings. I usually start watching after a recording starts, but before it ends.

Also use it to check if all my smart search recordings are set up to record. Especially during hockey season, to make sure its going to record all my teams games.

And when I had cable, the DVR remote actually had a button to bring up the To Do List. I wish we had one on the DIRECTV remote. Or at least if we had a discrete code for "To Do List" we could program a button on an aftermarket remote. (That along with a PIP On/Off code)

Agree. No reason to talk someone into using it if they don't and are happy.

I don't trust any dvr to do everything I want. Nor do I want it to act as magic. I have seen when the to do list wasn't populating and rebooted. I'd be pissed if I found out after a recording was missed that I didn't even knew happened just because I trusted a priority list.

Plus the priorities are set based upon what I know at the time. Mostly I don't care. If there is no conflict, priority means nothing so I don't work on it. I get a conflict, I adjust. Less work.

#60 OFFLINE   GBFAN

GBFAN

Godfather

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

I use the List even if I go into the Menu to check the To Do List.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...