Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need opinions on HR-34

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Beckzilla

Beckzilla

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

I have been waiting for awhile to get this receiver before I am sure it is reliable and not buggy. Currently have HR-24 and it slows down sometimes and RF remote response is not acceptable and drives me nuts. So I need feedback on HR-34 owners and their experiences. I understand this has PIP. Is that function internal in the tuner and can show 2 different DTV stations at the same time?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:59 PM

Its the same speed or slightly slower than my HR24. PIP uses the two primary tuners, and is internal, but turning it on and controlling it requires numerous remote key presses.
It has side by side, or corners options.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,865 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

I've had both and I would recommend the HR34 without hesitation. 5 tuners!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

I have 24's and a HR34. I recommend the 34. But frankly while the PIP is nice, its quite a few button pushes to get it on the screen. No dedicated PIP button on any remote.

But the 34 and 24 speed and performance are identical as best I can tell. I have no slowdowns with the 24.

#5 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

Instead of a new DVR, can I suggest the Next Generation RF remote repeater to replace the RF section of your HR24's remote control?

I found the RF side of DirecTV's remotes to be inconsistent, missing many button pushes, at least in my home.

That doesn't happen with the Next Generation remote extender. It has remarkable range and transmits most every button push I make.

I've used it in customer's houses and my own house for years. You can outfit many remotes with its transmitter so you could use it with a DVD player's remote, too.

The Next Generation remote extender also remarkably cheap for how good it is.

It sounds like it would solve at least one of your problems with the HR24.

And to answer your question more directly, I really like my HR34. I can't compare it with a HR24 as I've never owned one. It is still a bit buggy but not bad. The bugs don't seem to affect the basic performance of the unit.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

... but turning it on and controlling it requires numerous remote key presses.

... while the PIP is nice, its quite a few button pushes to get it on the screen. No dedicated PIP button on any remote.

Can a remote like a Harmony be programmed to do PIP with one button?

#7 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

Probably not in just the five steps you are allowed with a macro function in a Harmony remote. Plus with any universal remote, not just Harmony's, you'd have to tell the macro to "step right arrow" six times, which is problematic with a remote. If you want to get it to step six times to the right and the DVR only sees five of those steps, suddenly you are adjusting the Parental settings instead and now things are really messed up.

I think this objection is way over blown. Maybe it's because I really don't like PIP and seldom use it, but it isn't that hard to start PIP. Once you have, you can toggle between the two shows with just one button. Certainly it could be easier to access PIP, but PIP is much easier to get to than the To Do list. Now there is a function which I use all the time that you really have to work hard to get to.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#8 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

I have been waiting for awhile to get this receiver before I am sure it is reliable and not buggy. Currently have HR-24 and it slows down sometimes and RF remote response is not acceptable and drives me nuts. So I need feedback on HR-34 owners and their experiences. I understand this has PIP. Is that function internal in the tuner and can show 2 different DTV stations at the same time?

I've used the HR34 side by side with an HR24-500. I can't say the HR34's "response" is quite as quick as the HR24, but it's not far behind. The 34 still has a quirk or two, and I've seen it slow down on occasion as well. If you're offered a deal on one I think it's a no brainer.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#9 OFFLINE   T-Mac

T-Mac

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:37 AM

I still think the HR34 is an "alpha" box. Direct keeps working on adding new features rather than fixing the issues such as the glitchy guide, slow response, broken VOD, PIP (bad UI).

The only reasons to choose the 34 imo are:

1) You want the larger HD
2) You plan to often record 3 or more shows simultaneously

#10 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:49 AM

You've gotta decide what's important to you.
The HR34 is great for PiP (though it's incomprehensible that it takes so many key presses to get it up), the 5 tuners, the larger hard drive, and RVU capability.
But if the nimble HR24 remote response drives you nuts then the HR34 will put you over the edge. That's not saying that they won't speed it up in the future but right now HR34 use requires patience.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#11 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

Can a remote like a Harmony be programmed to do PIP with one button?

A remote like a Harmony can do it with one button, but a Harmony can't. As mentioned, it doesn't have enough "steps" to handle all the right arrows you need. I have an AR remote and have 3 macros set up. They are PIP On, PIP Off and PIP Menu. Usually PIP On and Off macros work fine, except when the HR34 decides to start running slow. So then I use PIP Menu, which has extra right arrow commands, so it almost always lands me on the PIP menu. Then I can arrow down to select On, Off or move the PIP location. So it becomes more then one key stroke, but better then 8+ key strokes.
HR34-700, HR22-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...