Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NHL Center Ice 2012-2013 Pricing

• Please log in to reply
541 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

So has anyone tried to speak to a retention CSR to see what kind of deal they can get? If it's $60 for the year for NHL CI on DirecTV, one would think given the past history of CSR roulette with sports packages that getting a $20 Gen Retention Credit should be easy, if not $30. I would think that for some customers they might just comp it with a $60 credit. Last two seasons I got NHL CI for $50 off the price. I know it's a different situation, but it's still retention CSRs with credits to hand out, right?

I cancelled and am confident of getting a retention deal. I'll use the 2 week free view period to play roulette. Either way, this gives me the flexibility I was looking for without losing anything.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#302 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

Although I was able to get NHLCI for less then $50 for the full season last year. I think I'll save my bargaining power for something else. The current offer is giving us 58% of the seasons games, for 35% of what a full season cost last year.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#303 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Although I was able to get NHLCI for less then $50 for the full season last year. I think I'll save my bargaining power for something else. The current offer is giving us 58% of the seasons games, for 35% of what a full season cost last year.

I hear ya, but I only play twice a year - for this and the Ticket. Before I got the HR34 I had the same original DVR they initially rolled out after Tivo, so I don't need or ask for equipment deals.

#304 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

There are many issues with NHL Center Ice that could use improving, some of which has to do with NHL Network.

(1) NBC games that aren't available on CI -- when they make you go to NBCsports.com to watch out-of-market games during regional coverage. This is something the NHL should put a stop to a la MLB EI starting next year with Fox Saturdays.

(2) Lack of HD on many Canadian telecasts.

(3) Lack of Canadian team feeds if game is available on American team feed.

(4) HNIC coverage is spotty. Should have one HNIC channel in HD every Saturday night from 6:30 through After Hours plus CBC feeds for other games as necessary. (NHL Network sometimes screws this all up.)

(5) NHL Network games are not televised on CI. This means no choice of dual feeds, NHL Network studio instead of home team studios, etc. What's even worse though sometimes is when NHL Network tries to televise a JIP game. Sometimes that game isn't on CI.

#305 OFFLINE   bosco10021

bosco10021

Icon

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

Has Center Ice showed up in anyone's Directv account yet as renewed?

Also does anyone know what channel would you tune to to see the "you are subscribed" message?

#306 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

Also does anyone know what channel would you tune to to see the "you are subscribed" message?

It hasn't happened yet and the CI channels don't exist yet
DTV = Digital Television

#307 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 884 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

I cancelled and am confident of getting a retention deal. I'll use the 2 week free view period to play roulette. Either way, this gives me the flexibility I was looking for without losing anything.

Since there is no early bird discount for NHCI. Anyone can wait ( play csr roulette ) and still only pay the maxiumn of $59.96 if they can't get any discounts from the CSR's.

#308 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

There are many issues with NHL Center Ice that could use improving, some of which has to do with NHL Network.

(1) NBC games that aren't available on CI -- when they make you go to NBCsports.com to watch out-of-market games during regional coverage. This is something the NHL should put a stop to a la MLB EI starting next year with Fox Saturdays.

(4) HNIC coverage is spotty. Should have one HNIC channel in HD every Saturday night from 6:30 through After Hours plus CBC feeds for other games as necessary. (NHL Network sometimes screws this all up.)

(5) NHL Network games are not televised on CI. This means no choice of dual feeds, NHL Network studio instead of home team studios, etc. What's even worse though sometimes is when NHL Network tries to televise a JIP game. Sometimes that game isn't on CI.

(6) When the Flyers are on NHL Network we are blacked out of the game here in the Jersey Shore area, because we are somehow within radius of Philly for NHL Network blackouts. We cannot receive the game any other way, because we are not in the Philly DMA and do not receive Philly channels....moot point anyway, since DirecTV does not carry CSN Philly.

For NHLCI we are considered out of market, and receive all Flyer games.

Why NHL Network and NHLCI does not use the same blackout areas makes no sense whatsoever.

Sandra

#309 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,484 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

Not yet here. It still shows up under my sports channels, but shows $0.00.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#310 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

The one improvement last year was that we got HNIC in HD most weeks on a dedicated channel. But because the NHL Network takes the Hockey Tonight show at 6:30 eastern every Saturday you won't see it on the HNIC channels in NHLCI.

As for more Canadian HD or even SD on some nights I agree that would be nice but I wouldn't be holding my breath for these improvements.

#311 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Any clarification yet whether or not Gamecenter Live is included as part of the CI package like some have speculated?

#312 OFFLINE   eddieras

eddieras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

excellent points - couldn't agree more, especially with #4 and 5!

#313 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

That channel is usually in the low 100's....try 111-119 maybe?
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#314 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Any clarification yet whether or not Gamecenter Live is included as part of the CI package like some have speculated?

No, still a separate service. Sad but true.

#315 OFFLINE   steve_launch

steve_launch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Agreed - very good points. Last season I went on a "mission" to try and figure out the reason for #2 and #3. After a lot of CSR's transferring me to a lot of people, I managed to get ahold of someone in the DirecTV sports department to ask about 2 and 3. He spoke to his rep at the NHL who confirmed that the league does not guarantee to provide dual feeds, and generally will not provide the Canadian HD feed to providers due to the fact that the Canadian TV stations charge a higher fee for distributing.

Also, he noted one exception that is unique to DirecTV. If the game is coming from Sportsnet Ontario (ie: many Leafs and Sens games), then DirecTV will almost always show it in HD because they have a pre-existing contract with Sportsnet Ontario for the Blue Jays games in order to meet the MLB requirement that dual HD feeds are always available - so they don't have to pay more for that feed, and they don't have to rely on the league to provide it.

All in all, it sounds like the people we need to pressure are the NHL media department to have a simple requirement (like MLB, NBA, etc) that all games get dual HD feeds sent to the providers. If the providers choose not to show them, that's up to them, but it's likely that DirecTV would do so in most cases.

#316 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Agreed - very good points. Last season I went on a "mission" to try and figure out the reason for #2 and #3. After a lot of CSR's transferring me to a lot of people, I managed to get ahold of someone in the DirecTV sports department to ask about 2 and 3. He spoke to his rep at the NHL who confirmed that the league does not guarantee to provide dual feeds, and generally will not provide the Canadian HD feed to providers due to the fact that the Canadian TV stations charge a higher fee for distributing.

Also, he noted one exception that is unique to DirecTV. If the game is coming from Sportsnet Ontario (ie: many Leafs and Sens games), then DirecTV will almost always show it in HD because they have a pre-existing contract with Sportsnet Ontario for the Blue Jays games in order to meet the MLB requirement that dual HD feeds are always available - so they don't have to pay more for that feed, and they don't have to rely on the league to provide it.

All in all, it sounds like the people we need to pressure are the NHL media department to have a simple requirement (like MLB, NBA, etc) that all games get dual HD feeds sent to the providers. If the providers choose not to show them, that's up to them, but it's likely that DirecTV would do so in most cases.

MLB requirement that dual HD feeds are always available then why are WGN games not in HD for MLB EI when they can remap WGN A HD for it?

And do they have Sportsnet One HD for Jays games as well?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#317 OFFLINE   steve_launch

steve_launch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

MLB requirement that dual HD feeds are always available then why are WGN games not in HD for MLB EI when they can remap WGN A HD for it?

And do they have Sportsnet One HD for Jays games as well?

Not sure - sorry, I didn't focus on trying to understand the MLB angle completely.

The HD feeds I've seen for Sportsnet hockey are always from SNET-Ontario.

#318 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 681 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

D* has used a few TSN HD feeds as well in the last couple of years. Not near enough, but a few.

#319 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,362 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Some very nice comments/inputs here. But it sure would be nice if the non-DirecTV pricing topics were over in the 'other' all things NHL thread. :)

#320 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 611 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

So it is confirmed that on DirecTV, it will be a 2 week free preview of NHL CI?
My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

Protected By... spam firewall...And...