Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NHL Center Ice 2012-2013 Pricing

• Please log in to reply
541 replies to this topic

#461 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

Well, new year, same old idiots at the NHL, Once again, I am completely blacked out of the Penguins/Rangers game on BOTH the NHL Network AND MSG. I am either IN MARKET where I would get the game on MSG or OUT OF MARHET where I would get the game on the NHL Network. I should bot be blacked out of both.

Why does the NHL continue to be BLIND to this issue of MANY people in CT and other areas around here???

All of last year, i sent them email after email after email BEGGING them to fix this and they never ONCE responded to me.

I know this has nothing to do with the CI package but I need to something, so I will be calling and cancelling the CI package in protest until someone can get this straightened out.

I have 100% had it with this issue.

Chuck, how do you think I feel? I am in Akron Ohio...Fox Sports Ohio has two feeds, Northern Ohio and Southern Ohio....Northern Ohio Fox broadcasts the Cavaliers (who gives a rats *** about them OR the NBA) so anytime the Cavs are on, Blue Jackets games that are on the Southern Ohio feed are blacked out for me...I would have to pay extra for the stupid ripoff 10 dollar RSN sports package so I could get Fox Sports Cincy to watch the Blue Jackets....its bs...I get CI, I should be able to see the game if theres no other way to see it other than spending MORE on ANOTHER sports package. And to make it worse of course, say one of my fav teams, the Blackhawks, play the Blue Jackets, of course those feeds are completely blacked out because its "available" on Fox Sports Ohio, which I dont even get without paying more. Its all ridiculous. I have no desire to watch the Blue Jackets so I dont really care about that, but sometimes I want to watch the game for the OTHER teams feeds. I wish that the Cavs would go to Sportstime Ohio like the Indians.........

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#462 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

Just looking for the sports leader to step up:

Directv Website still not updated with schedule. Competitors have the first week up...

They now have the first week of the schedule complete.

Attached Files

HR34-700, HR22-100

#463 OFFLINE   zmancartfan

zmancartfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

Chuck, how do you think I feel? I am in Akron Ohio...Fox Sports Ohio has two feeds, Northern Ohio and Southern Ohio....Northern Ohio Fox broadcasts the Cavaliers (who gives a rats *** about them OR the NBA) so anytime the Cavs are on, Blue Jackets games that are on the Southern Ohio feed are blacked out for me...I would have to pay extra for the stupid ripoff 10 dollar RSN sports package so I could get Fox Sports Cincy to watch the Blue Jackets....its bs...I get CI, I should be able to see the game if theres no other way to see it other than spending MORE on ANOTHER sports package. And to make it worse of course, say one of my fav teams, the Blackhawks, play the Blue Jackets, of course those feeds are completely blacked out because its "available" on Fox Sports Ohio, which I dont even get without paying more. Its all ridiculous. I have no desire to watch the Blue Jackets so I dont really care about that, but sometimes I want to watch the game for the OTHER teams feeds. I wish that the Cavs would go to Sportstime Ohio like the Indians.........

I'm in Medina, so I feel your pain.

One thing I noticed last year is that while it's hit and miss (I.e. not every game gets this treatment), DirecTV will occasionally open up the Jackets' games on an alternate RSN feed when there is an overlap with the Cavs. You have to look through the guide through all of the RSN channels to find it, and it's not always there. But I'd say a good fifty percent of those times when FSN Ohio is showing the Cavs, DirecTV places the Cincy feed on an alternate channel since we are in the Jackets' territory.

I do have the sports pack, so I just DVR the Cincy feed usually, but I was surprised last year to see that DirecTV did seem to realize that we should be getting the hockey games even without the sports pack. I just wish they'd realize it should be that way every time there was an overlap, though.

#464 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

I'm in Medina, so I feel your pain.

One thing I noticed last year is that while it's hit and miss (I.e. not every game gets this treatment), DirecTV will occasionally open up the Jackets' games on an alternate RSN feed when there is an overlap with the Cavs. You have to look through the guide through all of the RSN channels to find it, and it's not always there. But I'd say a good fifty percent of those times when FSN Ohio is showing the Cavs, DirecTV places the Cincy feed on an alternate channel since we are in the Jackets' territory.

saturday they did have it on the alternate feed and i did check it..and saw "you are not subscribed to this channel". you only get it if you pay the extra 10 for the RSN pack. ridiculous. I suppose if i really wanted to I could call retention and maybe get the RSN pack for 3 or 6 months free, but I dont care enough to waste a retention call for that. bigger fish to fry.

#465 OFFLINE   zmancartfan

zmancartfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

saturday they did have it on the alternate feed and i did check it..and saw "you are not subscribed to this channel". you only get it if you pay the extra 10 for the RSN pack. ridiculous. I suppose if i really wanted to I could call retention and maybe get the RSN pack for 3 or 6 months free, but I dont care enough to waste a retention call for that. bigger fish to fry.

Interesting. I wonder why they duplicate the Cincy feed on an alternate channel if it's not opened up like it should be? Why wouldn't they just leave the normal Cincy feed in its place?

#466 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

Interesting. I wonder why they duplicate the Cincy feed on an alternate channel if it's not opened up like it should be? Why wouldn't they just leave the normal Cincy feed in its place?

well like i said, its always been that way...we only get blue jackets games locally if the who gives a crap cavs arent playing....unless you have the RSN pack like you do.

#467 OFFLINE   Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Same issue here in northeastern PA. After 3-4 years of complaining and getting nowhere I have decided to pull the plug. The local cable company is not having this issue so I am switching. I had been a Directv customer for over a decade.

#468 OFFLINE   zmancartfan

zmancartfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

Same issue here in northeastern PA. After 3-4 years of complaining and getting nowhere I have decided to pull the plug. The local cable company is not having this issue so I am switching. I had been a Directv customer for over a decade.

Hope you're not in Armstrong Cable territory.

#469 OFFLINE   Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Service Electric. The Ranger games are in the clear on the NHL Network and on inDemand. With Directv I was blacked out of Ranger games whenever they were broadcast on the NHL Network (the blackouts were on both the NHL Network and Center Ice). In 1998 when I first subscribed to satellite MSG was my RSN and the Rangers (and Knicks) were considered my home team. Over the course of time this changed. I had to subscribe to the Sportspack to receive MSG and then to Center Ice to watch the Rangers. Felt like I was nickeled and dimed and have had enough.

#470 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

06776. This affects anyone with a "067" based zip code. There may be more as well but I know the "067" for sure.

The zip code is in the MSG territory, but under existing contract directv chooses not to carry the license to include the Knicks or Rangers. Hopefully, in the future, they will choose to do so. You should direct your feelings to them. They hold the solution.

#471 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

The zip code is in the MSG territory, but under existing contract directv chooses not to carry the license to include the Knicks or Rangers. Hopefully, in the future, they will choose to do so. You should direct your feelings to them. They hold the solution.

The DIRECTV website confirms what you are saying about zip code 06776

Attached Thumbnails

• zip code.JPG

HR34-700, HR22-100

#472 OFFLINE   steve_launch

steve_launch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

You give InDemand way too much credit. They may technically have more HD feeds from Canadian sources (they also have Philly feeds regularly BTW), but as far as I'm concerned, until these HD feeds are widely available, it won't mean a thing. Most cable systems carry very little HD from InDemand. For example, in my area the ONLY HD game today on InDemand's Center Ice package was the Sharks/Flames game.

This is very true. When I had Comcast, I had 2, maybe 3 HD channels at most. So it doesn't really matter how many feeds InDemand says are technically available, no providers are willing to dedicate that much pipe space.

Every provider has some pros and some cons. I still think DirecTV outweighs the cable options, at least in my area, in terms of number of HD games.

Of course, like everyone else, my first preference is to watch the HD feed of the team I like, but I'd rather watch the other team's HD feed than be stuck wtih an SD-only game.

The only common SD-only game situation on DirecTV is when it's between two Canadian teams, and it's not HNIC. For those, I will switch over to my Roku and watch it on Gamecenter. Redundancy!

#473 OFFLINE   steve_launch

steve_launch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for the info, but if directv can do it for the NFL,NBA,MLB,Nascar etc. I'm sure they could do the same for the NHL. Even some CBC feeds of Vancouver last year we're still in SD.Just curious, do Canadian customers of NHL CI with BELL, SHAW, ROGERS etc. get all their feeds in HD??

There's a lot more money to be had in all those other packages for DirecTV compared to NHL. I'm sure of all of those packages you listed, CI has the lowest subscription numbers (except maybe NASCAR :) )

#474 OFFLINE   steve_launch

steve_launch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

If Satellite Racer is listening, maybe he could shed some light about the Canadian feeds not being in HD and if we can expect to see them anytime soon.

Or does anyone have a good contact or connection to someone with some influence at DirecTV that we could direct our comments to? I've tried to compalin about the lack of Canadian feeds to DirecTV multiple times, and I never manage to get very far beyond the front-line reps who always give me a canned response about "DirecTV being the leader in sports" :nono:

I'd happily write a letter or an e-mail if I knew where to send it to give my feedback.

#475 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Or does anyone have a good contact or connection to someone with some influence at DirecTV that we could direct our comments to? I've tried to compalin about the lack of Canadian feeds to DirecTV multiple times, and I never manage to get very far beyond the front-line reps who always give me a canned response about "DirecTV being the leader in sports" :nono:

I'd happily write a letter or an e-mail if I knew where to send it to give my feedback.

It's disappointing that the situation with Canadian feeds is no better this season. Not only are there very few HD feeds but there's also a shortage of dual SD feeds. My suspicions that TSN and LeafsTV feeds would only be used as a last resort appears to be coming to pass. The Leafs play the Penguins and Islanders this week and there are no dual feeds.

For Saturday there's only one early HNIC game and it's on the NHL Network, although whether or not they'll pick up the intermission features remains to be seen. Then, the late game, at least so far isn't on the schedule at all. I'm not too worried about this....yet.

I don't think any of us should be surprised by this, but it is disappointing.

#476 OFFLINE   steve_launch

steve_launch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

It's disappointing that the situation with Canadian feeds is no better this season. Not only are there very few HD feeds but there's also a shortage of dual SD feeds. My suspicions that TSN and LeafsTV feeds would only be used as a last resort appears to be coming to pass. The Leafs play the Penguins and Islanders this week and there are no dual feeds.

For Saturday there's only one early HNIC game and it's on the NHL Network, although whether or not they'll pick up the intermission features remains to be seen. Then, the late game, at least so far isn't on the schedule at all. I'm not too worried about this....yet.

I don't think any of us should be surprised by this, but it is disappointing.

TSN is the one that baffles me. I can absolutely understand them not going to the trouble to carry regional LeafsTV streams (given that it shows a very limited number of games) or even regional TSN-JETS feeds, but games on TSN's national feed in Canada seem like a no brainer.

I'm sure NHL Network will show the full HNIC show - they always have in the past. And as you said, the late game will likely appear on Ch 769 which is still an empty spot in the schedule.

#477 OFFLINE   steve_launch

steve_launch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

I can't find an e-mail address, but old fashioned mail could never hurt. Maybe all of us passionate hockey fans could try writing Mr. Dan York, Chief Content Officer, with some polite but clear feedback on the importance of dual feeds and HD feeds from Canada for sports

http://directvpressc...content-officer

C/O
DirecTV Corporate HQ:
2230 E. Imperial Hwy El Segundo, CA 90245

#478 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

For Saturday there's only one early HNIC game and it's on the NHL Network, although whether or not they'll pick up the intermission features remains to be seen.

The NHL Network usually carries all the intermission features, they just replace the Canadian ads with American ones. (So no Moore's ad after the intro to Coach's Corner)

#479 OFFLINE   espaeth

espaeth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

TSN is the one that baffles me. I can absolutely understand them not going to the trouble to carry regional LeafsTV streams (given that it shows a very limited number of games) or even regional TSN-JETS feeds, but games on TSN's national feed in Canada seem like a no brainer.

Directv only has the agreement with SportsNet Ontario/ONE because of the MLB Extra Innings requirements to carry all team game broadcasts in HD.

Since Directv inked the contract to meet the MLB:EI requirements, NHL:CI gets the bonus of the Leafs games covered on SportsNet.

Unless the league requires it, I just don't see Directv spending the significant dollars that would be required to ink a contract to cover the other Canadian networks.

#480 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

I'm sure NHL Network will show the full HNIC show - they always have in the past. And as you said, the late game will likely appear on Ch 769 which is still an empty spot in the schedule.

I agree the abscence of national TSN feeds are strange but this is nothing new. As for Leafs TV, they are showing 10 games this year and both the Regional TSN feeds for Montreal and Winnipeg are showing the bulk of their respective teams games. What's frustrating is that, at least in past years, there have been more Canadian SD feeds in the Dish and InDemand packages. I don't know about this year, because I haven't been able to find Dish or InDemand schedules.

spam firewall