Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NHL Center Ice 2012-2013 Pricing

• Please log in to reply
541 replies to this topic

#481 OFFLINE   austen0316

austen0316

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationRobbinsville, NJ

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

So I'm in the cnj area and the dam game is blacked out!!!! For some reason msg isn't broadcasting the game tonight...... what crap, we need csn philly

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#482 OFFLINE   bosco10021

bosco10021

Icon

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Check the NHL Network

#483 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,316 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Flyers/Devils on NBC Sports Net (DirecTV 220).

#484 OFFLINE   austen0316

austen0316

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Blacked out on 220

#485 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,316 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

You guys in the NYC/Philly area really get the shaft when it comes to sports.

#486 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

Blacked out on 220

CSN Philly is airing the game locally so NBC Sports is blacked out in their territory. The game is available in the Devils territory since MSG+ isn't airing it.

#487 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

CSN Philly is airing the game locally so NBC Sports is blacked out in their territory.

Correct.CSNP is doing the game.This is the FIRST ever time I've been blacked out of a FLYERS game on NBCSN (or VS).El sucko.Another headache along with the NHLN !!!

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#488 OFFLINE   austen0316

austen0316

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Normally I would watch it on msg+ but there not airing it :(

#489 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

You guys in the NYC/Philly area really get the shaft when it comes to sports.

I'm only 25 miles via the crow from the ROCK in Newark.This s*cks !!!

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#490 OFFLINE   austen0316

austen0316

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

First time for me on nbcsn getting blacked out. Dam devils not broadcasting the game which I don't understand why. They air every game. This is even there home opener.

#491 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

I'm double checking for their rules, but are you guys blacked out of any Flyers games on Center Ice?

And bad news, it appears any non-exclusive Flyers game on NBC Sports will be blacked out in their territory. I attached the schedule which shows the blacked out markets for each game.

Attached Files

#492 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

100% in the clear for Center Ice Flyers games.100% blacked out when game is on the NHLN. with their extended blackout radius.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#493 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 513 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

how many sales of the centre ice package has directtv lost by not having every canadian hd feed.

my guess is not many

Until this package becomes as popular as the other sport packages and makes them a ton of money, don't hold your breath waiting for the package to include them. They have zero incentive to add them.

#494 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

how many sales of the centre ice package has directtv lost by not having every canadian hd feed.

my guess is not many

Until this package becomes as popular as the other sport packages and makes them a ton of money, don't hold your breath waiting for the package to include them. They have zero incentive to add them.

http://www.indemand....090422124838930

indemand does not have MSG HD or MSG+ HD but for one game they are listing MSG+2 HD (maybe a wild / raw / backhaul feed?)

Also see TSN Habs (with a bold font) HD? over tsn jets or RDS.

Odd to have TSN Habs HD but not TSN HD maybe a miss print and it's Habs SD only or a wild / raw / backhaul feed.

Indemand has all the main rogers feeds in HD. Need to wait for the Sports net one games to see if they have them.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#495 ONLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

my guess is not many

Hi BHZ.

I would agree with you, but I have a hard time reconciling the lack of Canadian HD when compared with D*'s ability to:

A) show 125 Super 15 Rugby games from the southern hemisphere in pristene HD and
B) show all the non-Fox Champions League / Europa League matches

And both are included in your subscription at no additional charge.

I know it's apples / oranges and the transmissions / costs are different, but it should not be that hard to add more HD to CI.

And I'll ask the reverse of your question...

If D* charged $10 or $15 more for CI, and ALL Canadian games were HD, would they lose any subscribers? I know I'd pay.

Cheers,
cmasia

#496 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 513 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

Hi BHZ.

I would agree with you, but I have a hard time reconciling the lack of Canadian HD when compared with D*'s ability to:

A) show 125 Super 15 Rugby games from the southern hemisphere in pristene HD and

I know it's apples / oranges and the transmissions / costs are different, but it should not be that hard to add more HD to CI.

If D* charged $10 or $15 more for CI, and ALL Canadian games were HD, would they lose any subscribers? I know I'd pay.

Cheers,
cmasia

If they were to do that, would folks here stop calling up bitching and complaining trying to get it free or discounted. until that stops, they can raise the price now and it won't matter. I am wondering if this package makes any money.

And i dont know about the rugby, but the champions and europa games are a ton more popular than hockey is. Those games are streamed online for free anyway and they are just picking up that feed anyway. Probably doesnt cost them very much if anything and the international subscriptions that they get makes up for it.

#497 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

Hi BHZ.

Cheers,
cmasia

The Super Rugby games are useing the raw feeds
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#498 ONLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

The Super Rugby games are useing the raw feeds

Hi Joe.

I agree and those raw feeds provide the best pictures of anything I've seen on D*.

However, I don't think SANZAR (the rights holder) gives the signal to D* for nothing, plus there are relay and conversion costs as well - those matches originate in PAL, not NTSC.

Again, I know this is an apples / oranges argument I'm making, but I can't imagine it could cost that much to access the NHL HD feeds from the Canadian networks.

Cheers,
cmasia

#499 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,547 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Hi Joe.

I agree and those raw feeds provide the best pictures of anything I've seen on D*.

However, I don't think SANZAR (the rights holder) gives the signal to D* for nothing, plus there are relay and conversion costs as well - those matches originate in PAL, not NTSC.

Again, I know this is an apples / oranges argument I'm making, but I can't imagine it could cost that much to access the NHL HD feeds from the Canadian networks.

Cheers,
cmasia

There has to be a reason. Cost is as good as any other.

In, at least DirecTV's judgement, the overall cost (fees, hardware investment, manpower, etc) outweighs the reward (direct income, good will, customer addition/retention).

That is all it comes down to, really. The factors may be hidden and the judgment may be incorrect, but it really all comes down to cost/reward.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#500 OFFLINE   espaeth

espaeth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

The TV contracts to cover those games are a pittance when compared to major North American sports leagues. If the networks broadcasting those games had to recoup several hundred million dollars worth of exclusivity rights fees, you can bet you wouldn't see these games on Directv unless there was substantial demand.

If you're willing to throw some dollars at the problem, you have 2 options immediately available:

1) Get a subscription to Shaw Direct to get Canadian TV directly. Of course, you'll have to pay for Center Ice a second time to get all the Canadian team games. You'll also have to either get the Quebec subscription or pay extra for RDS to get the Habs games. Once you do this, you'll still have to keep Directv because the HD coverage of US teams is abysmal in Canada.

2) Get a Roku box and a GameCenter Live subscription. While not perfect, the HD feeds from GCL are quite a bit better than the SD feeds on Center Ice. They are, however, still a downgrade from the CI HD feeds because the framerate is lower resulting in less fluid video. After years of paying for the StarChoice/Shaw Direct subscription to get the Canadian HD broadcasts, I've started doing this in the last couple years.

In an ideal world you wouldn't have to get a 2nd package, but the reality is there just aren't enough people in the US who care to make it worthwhile for MSOs.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...