Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NHL Center Ice 2012-2013 Pricing

• Please log in to reply
541 replies to this topic

#501 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Hi BHZ.

I would agree with you, but I have a hard time reconciling the lack of Canadian HD when compared with D*'s ability to:

A) show 125 Super 15 Rugby games from the southern hemisphere in pristene HD and
B) show all the non-Fox Champions League / Europa League matches

And both are included in your subscription at no additional charge.

I know it's apples / oranges and the transmissions / costs are different, but it should not be that hard to add more HD to CI.

And I'll ask the reverse of your question...

If D* charged $10 or $15 more for CI, and ALL Canadian games were HD, would they lose any subscribers? I know I'd pay.

Cheers,
cmasia

Never thought of that, thanks. Been watching Canadian HD through GC on a 46" Panasonic plasma and it looks pretty dang good. TSN feed of the Oilers last night and Sportsnet west feed a few nights prior with no D* SD fuzziness in sight.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#502 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

i listen to alot NY radio and they said direcTV told them its was a mistake to blackout Flyers/Devils on NBC Sports last night

#503 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

No extended market blackouts in the short season for Rangers, therefore decided to cancel Center Ice and go with Game Center. Canada HD worth it.

#504 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 727 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Got my bill today via email and this note was included:

RENEWAL NOTICE: NHL CENTER ICE
Hockey is back and you are all set to enjoy another exciting year of NHL CENTER ICE®. We have renewed your subscription and due to the shortened season, we have adjusted the price to 4 payments of only $14.99/month. If you decide to cancel, you must call 1-800-531-5000 by 2/25/13. Refunds will not be available after this date.

February 25?

That's 5 weeks into a 14 week season!

Generous...

By the 25th, I'll have made 2 payments. I wonder if those would be refunded.
It's a curious question as I will not be cancelling...

#505 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 611 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Anyone else call in yet? I think we have one report of a retention CSR who made it free with a credit to cover the $60 cost. Just wondering if others are getting this or similar deals from retention CSRs.
My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

#506 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Wish there were more Canadian HD feeds this year. Had to watch Flames/Canucks in SD.

#507 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

The zip code is in the MSG territory, but under existing contract directv chooses not to carry the license to include the Knicks or Rangers. Hopefully, in the future, they will choose to do so. You should direct your feelings to them. They hold the solution.

No extended market blackouts in the short season for Rangers, therefore decided to cancel Center Ice and go with Game Center. Canada HD worth it.

This is what I am going to do(bought Gamecenter last night). I found out what you had posted(about the licensing) as well and am not happy about it at all.

So with that said, I will not be paying Directv another penny for CI through them and am cancelling it and moving over to GameCenter. If Directv wants to save a buck at my expense, then I will make sure they get less of "my" bucks as a result.

Edited by Chuck W, 24 January 2013 - 01:57 PM.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#508 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Not a huge NHL fan but for $60 I was considering it just because it'd give me more choices, but lack of many games from Canada in HD was really a deciding factor.

#509 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 656 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

I looked at game Center on my apple tv, mostly out of curiosity. We do not start to watch games until at least an hour after they start to avoid commercials, and in the case of some games, the endless drivel coming from Pierre Maguire. Sometimes we don't start until after the game is over if we went out that night. Game center lists games by date and, at least on the version offered through Apple TV it also shows the final score if the game is over. Kind of takes the enjoyment out t it, nest çe pas?

#510 OFFLINE   eddieras

eddieras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

shows the final score?? that'd be a deal breaker if i'm always watching later...

#511 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

I looked at game Center on my apple tv, mostly out of curiosity. We do not start to watch games until at least an hour after they start to avoid commercials, and in the case of some games, the endless drivel coming from Pierre Maguire. Sometimes we don't start until after the game is over if we went out that night. Game center lists games by date and, at least on the version offered through Apple TV it also shows the final score if the game is over. Kind of takes the enjoyment out t it, nest çe pas?

Depends on the person I guess. In my case, not watching live sports live kind of takes the enjoyment out of it.
DTV = Digital Television

#512 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

For me, if there's no way to hide the scores, it's a deal breaker. I very frequently watch games after they're complete (sometimes one or two days later). I do NOT want to know anything about a game until I've seen it, if I can avoid it.

BTW it's spelled "n'est-ce pas" (regular c, not ç).

#513 OFFLINE   crimpshrine

crimpshrine

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

I got Center Ice for half off. I was going to cancel it but for half off I'll keep it. The CSR also game me $10 a month off for 6 months too but that was mainly for a credit for the Sports Pack package I have.

#514 OFFLINE   StephenT

StephenT

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

When I used the MLB app on AppleTV this summer there was a setting to hide the scores. Check if there's one for NHL under settings.

#515 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Anyone else call in yet? I think we have one report of a retention CSR who made it free with a credit to cover the $60 cost. Just wondering if others are getting this or similar deals from retention CSRs.

I got a $5 per month credit to offset the package price.

#516 OFFLINE   zmancartfan

zmancartfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Retention or regular CSR?

#517 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Retention or regular CSR?

Retention. I don't speak to front line CSR's anymore. Just say cancel/ cancel at the voice prompts to get connected directly to retention.

#518 OFFLINE   zmancartfan

zmancartfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Retention. I don't speak to front line CSR's anymore. Just say cancel/ cancel at the voice prompts to get connected directly to retention.

When you got there did you actually have to threaten to cancel? Or did you just complain about the price?

Sorry if I'm getting too personal.

#519 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

I got the same $5 credit for 6 mo's from a front line CSR. Wasn't going to call for it, but since I had to call about the NHLCI outage, asked for some kind of credit. So I get NHLCI at half price $30.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#520 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

When you got there did you actually have to threaten to cancel? Or did you just complain about the price?

Sorry if I'm getting too personal.

Nah, I just made nice and asked if my account was eligible for any promotions to help. They also told me to call back in a few months to get the Ticket for free:)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...