Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NHL Center Ice 2012-2013 Pricing

• Please log in to reply
541 replies to this topic

#521 OFFLINE   avonabudget

avonabudget

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

I got the same $5 credit for 6 mo's from a front line CSR. Wasn't going to call for it, but since I had to call about the NHLCI outage, asked for some kind of credit. So I get NHLCI at half price $30.

I called about the outage and they gave me $10 off for six months. Free Hockey this season. :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#522 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

I saw this on a newspaper website (Pete Dougherty @ Albany Times Union) and was wondering if any of you knew a cable system that had these features including all the HD feeds listed on InDemand site?

The package price for this shortened regular season, which goes through April 27, has been reduced to $49.99.

Among the enhancements with this year’s Center Ice:

Multi-screen mosaic: This is a rotating mosaic of multiple screens that shows all the live action games being played around the league, along with score, time clock and channel location. It can be found on the “Game 14” channel of the system’s package lineup.
Same-day replays: Each live game is re-aired beginning approximately one hour after live play ends. Each game will replay in its entirety, repeated continuously overnight and the next day, on the same channel, until the following day’s live games begin.
Dual-feed telecasts: Whenever possible, home and visiting team broadcasts will be provided.
Stats Channel: A live source for scores, statistics, game previews, game recaps and schedule information. This can be found on the “Game 13” channel of the system’s package lineup.
HD games: The package also offers many games each week in high definition. HD availability varies by system.

#523 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

I saw this on a newspaper website (Pete Dougherty @ Albany Times Union) and was wondering if any of you knew a cable system that had these features including all the HD feeds listed on InDemand site?

The package price for this shortened regular season, which goes through April 27, has been reduced to $49.99.

Among the enhancements with this year’s Center Ice:

Multi-screen mosaic: This is a rotating mosaic of multiple screens that shows all the live action games being played around the league, along with score, time clock and channel location. It can be found on the “Game 14” channel of the system’s package lineup.
Same-day replays: Each live game is re-aired beginning approximately one hour after live play ends. Each game will replay in its entirety, repeated continuously overnight and the next day, on the same channel, until the following day’s live games begin.
Dual-feed telecasts: Whenever possible, home and visiting team broadcasts will be provided.
Stats Channel: A live source for scores, statistics, game previews, game recaps and schedule information. This can be found on the “Game 13” channel of the system’s package lineup.
HD games: The package also offers many games each week in high definition. HD availability varies by system.

The features described are nothing new for InDemand (except maybe the replays - don't remember if they were there before or not).

The mosaic channel is practically useless. SD only, very poor quality (even by SD standards), and no audio whatsoever. Nothing like DirecTV's mix channels.

The stats channel is the same as DirecTV's stats channel (from previous years). Waste of bandwidth IMO.

Dual feeds are offered if the fixed bandwidth allows. On busier nights (with 7 or more games), dual feeds are limited because InDemand doesn't have enough channels to support all of them. Dual feeds are especially limited on the HD channels.

Very few cable systems have all nine HD channels. Most have two, which sometimes show dual feeds of the same game (so only one HD game on those nights). I've heard that areas with all nine HD channels require MPEG4 equipment to receive them. It can be difficult to get MPEG4-capable cable boxes (cable companies love to recycle old boxes).

#524 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

The features described are nothing new for InDemand (except maybe the replays - don't remember if they were there before or not).

The mosaic channel is practically useless. SD only, very poor quality (even by SD standards), and no audio whatsoever. Nothing like DirecTV's mix channels.

The stats channel is the same as DirecTV's stats channel (from previous years). Waste of bandwidth IMO.

Dual feeds are offered if the fixed bandwidth allows. On busier nights (with 7 or more games), dual feeds are limited because InDemand doesn't have enough channels to support all of them. Dual feeds are especially limited on the HD channels.

Very few cable systems have all nine HD channels. Most have two, which sometimes show dual feeds of the same game (so only one HD game on those nights). I've heard that areas with all nine HD channels require MPEG4 equipment to receive them. It can be difficult to get MPEG4-capable cable boxes (cable companies love to recycle old boxes).

also InDemand does not offer MSG HD or MSG+ HD.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#525 OFFLINE   zmancartfan

zmancartfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

I called the week before the CBA was settled and canceled the autorenewal of CI on DirecTV. I got my statement today, and it still showed that CI had been renewed. I called retention to complain. Even though the notes clearly showed I had canceled, they couldn't explain why it was renewed.

For my trouble I got what others have reported: $5 off for 6 months and free Starz / Encore for 6 months. I could have chosen Showtime instead of Starz.

Anyway, if you had intended to cancel, you may want to check your account.

#526 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 389 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

CBC HD looks awesome.

#527 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

CBC HD looks awesome.

i agree, wonder why they do this just on Saturday nights ?

#528 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Heads Up:

Today's game between the Wild and Blues is listed in the guide on NBCSN at 6 PM ET.

This is wrong.

The game is actually two hours later, at 8 PM ET.

DirecTV's ScoreGuide (red button on sports channels) shows the game at the correct time, as does the schedule on the NHL website. Further, the listings for NBCSN on cable have it at the right time as well. DirecTV's program guide (from Tribune) seems to be the only place that has it wrong.

Those wanting to DVR record this game may want to do a manual recording.

#529 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,345 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Heads Up:
Today's game between the Wild and Blues is listed in the guide on NBCSN at 6 PM ET.
This is wrong.
The game is actually two hours later, at 8 PM ET.

Thanks for the catch. The original schedule on NHL.com had the game at 6PM ET.

Not sure when it was changed, but obviously not everyone caught it.

#530 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

Well, I called cancelled CI the CSR was more than happy to do so. I also cancelled the HD Extra pak while I was at it(I was a bit surprised they didn't asky why tho).

For those with Gamercenter, anyone else seeing an issue where as the game goes on, on the more popular games seem to get choppy after a while. I'm assuming it's because more people are flooding the stream.

I end up having to switch to the away feed, which is usually smooth as silk. I think people just automatically click the default stream, which is usually the home stream, so that gets overused. I find the away stream is usually quite smooth.

Now if Sony would get off their duff and get the PS3 app up and running already, I would be good. I've had to bring back one of my Boxees from out from the bedroom(relegated them there due to audio drops on HD movie audio), to be able to stream games on the main TV.

What else aggravates me is my Samsung BluRay player HAD Gamecenter last year but dropped it this year, so I'll need to find an alternative for our 3rd TV(I'm limited on that TV too cause it only does 1080i for HD and can't handle 1080p or 720p).

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#531 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,763 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Now if Sony would get off their duff and get the PS3 app up and running already, I would be good.

Makes you wonder why this wasn't ready to go when the season was suppose to start in October?

#532 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Well, I called cancelled CI the CSR was more than happy to do so. I also cancelled the HD Extra pak while I was at it(I was a bit surprised they didn't asky why tho).

I am not sure why you cancelled both since you could have gotten both free. but to each their own i guess.

#533 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

For those with Gamercenter, anyone else seeing an issue where as the game goes on, on the more popular games seem to get choppy after a while. I'm assuming it's because more people are flooding the stream.

I end up having to switch to the away feed, which is usually smooth as silk. I think people just automatically click the default stream, which is usually the home stream, so that gets overused. I find the away stream is usually quite smooth.

Now if Sony would get off their duff and get the PS3 app up and running already, I would be good. I've had to bring back one of my Boxees from out from the bedroom(relegated them there due to audio drops on HD movie audio), to be able to stream games on the main TV.

What else aggravates me is my Samsung BluRay player HAD Gamecenter last year but dropped it this year, so I'll need to find an alternative for our 3rd TV(I'm limited on that TV too cause it only does 1080i for HD and can't handle 1080p or 720p).

...why would you cancel something you could have had for free?
DTV = Digital Television

#534 OFFLINE   stewdog1

stewdog1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

I am not sure why you cancelled both since you could have gotten both free. but to each their own i guess.

How were you able to get CI for free? I was going to call today and haggle. What approach should one take? BTW, I'm used to the ST dance every August.

Edited by stewdog1, 30 January 2013 - 10:55 AM.

#535 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

How were you able to get CI for free? I was going to call today and haggle. What approach should one take? BTW, I'm used to the ST dance every August.

I call from time to time, and they always give me lots of credits, etc. Here are the keys to success in this area:

1. Always pay your bill on time. NO exceptions.

2. Be a lunatic like me who pays for the highest programming package, and almost every available sports package as well.

3. When you call...be NICE...do not expect anything, and you will not be disappointed.

4. If they are not helpful just thank them for their time and call back later...play CSR roulette and eventually you usually win.

Every year I call in August and they give me more in credits than I pay for Sunday Ticket. They also give me ESPN Game Plan for free.

In December I received an HR34, free of charge, and they did not take back the HR23 I was using.

When I called in September to complain about GolTV going away they said they would add the Spanish package ($15.99 per month) for free...but unfortunately they said due to my location I would need a dish upgrade, which they also offered to do for free....but I passed.

As in anything else, YMMV.

Sandra

#536 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Because A) we don't watch anything on the HD extra channels at all, so what's the point of having it? Whether I get a few months of free, is irrelevent.

B) I am not about to haggle with Directv about the cost of CI at this point. I am not happy about missing out on the Rangers too many times. Gamecenter allows for a little more "flexibility" ;) in what games I have access to.

This is also for going forward. I have had CI for quite some time and when next year rolls around, they won't be seeing money from me for it. As I said before, if they wanna pinch pennies at my(and many locations in CT's) expense, then it's time I pinch a few pennies from them.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#537 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 389 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Took the plunge and bought CI for the season. Couldn't resist.

#538 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,635 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

When I called in September to complain about GolTV going away they said they would add the Spanish package ($15.99 per month) for free...but unfortunately they said due to my location I would need a dish upgrade, which they also offered to do for free....but I passed.

Shoulda gone for the new dish. New equipment every once in a while is a good thing.

Really only commenting because this is the second time I saw you say your location made a difference. They may have told you that, but it is not true. Everyone needs the same dish/lnb setup to get the same programming everywhere.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#539 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Shoulda gone for the new dish. New equipment every once in a while is a good thing.

Really only commenting because this is the second time I saw you say your location made a difference. They may have told you that, but it is not true. Everyone needs the same dish/lnb setup to get the same programming everywhere.

In some locations, local channels require the 5-LNB dish. People in those areas, therefore, already have the necessary dish type to receive the Spanish channels. People in other areas will generally have the 3-LNB (99/101/103) dish and therefore need a dish upgrade. Location does matter in that sense.

This is getting off topic, though (like a lot of stuff in this thread).

#540 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

You sure about that? I was on the phone with them quite a while, and went up the food chain through technical support. They were pretty clear to me that in NJ I would need a dish upgrade.

Not arguing, but you seem pretty sure of yourself....and so did they!

Sandra

Protected By... spam firewall...And...