Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NHL Center Ice 2012-2013 Pricing

• Please log in to reply
541 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Let's just get a CBA and play hockey!

True this! Watching the WJC has been fun as per usual though. RNH and Canada will without a doubt take the gold this year.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Everything. NHLDirectTVLovefest! Yum yum.

You are making no sense, but whatever.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#43 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

Just exactly how many people do you think subscribe to this? Because if you think it's NFLST numbers you're way wrong. While it's difficult for hockey fans to understand, most people are uninterested.

Just look as the "news." We could go days at a time without hearing a peep out of anyone. If it were any other sport you'd be flooded with stories.

Even more reason to not give it away. They don't have the financial stability to give away ANYTHING. Take in no money for half a season then give away product when you start incurring costs. To what end? The idea of free previews is to get people to pay when the preview ends. Giving away a season does nothing for them. The few hardcore fans they have that pay for it now will pay for it when it starts again. Not to mention any money that Comcast, Verizon, DirecTV, etc., have to incur. The NHL is going to cover their costs and profit loss, too? Why? To say they are sorry?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#44 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

You are making no sense, but whatever.

Wasn't supposed to. It's called nonsense. You're simply one of those DBStalkers who cares way too much about Direct TV and whom I don't care about really have any kind of extended conversation with. That is that.

Edited by fireponcoal, 31 December 2012 - 09:48 AM.

#45 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,819 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

I'm hoping they play this season, simply because I can't watch basketball anymore, college or pro, and I need a sport to carry me through until baseball season!

Happy New Year, everyone!

Have you been watching any of the college hockey games? Theres been some good games on this year so far.

Happy New Year to you too. :)

TV Schedule

#46 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

Wasn't supposed to. It's called nonsense. You're simply one of those DBStalkers who cares way too much about Direct TV and whom I don't care about really have any kind of extended conversation with. That is that.

You asked why it matters and you received an answer. Perhaps you can explain why you believe it shouldn't matter, in your opinion.
DTV = Digital Television

#47 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

You asked why it matters and you received an answer. Perhaps you can explain why you believe it shouldn't matter, in your opinion.

Another poster who I care not to converse with. Hoosier, whatever my answer is you are already right in whatever your response would be. Rest assured.. You got this board on lock... Direct TV does have some "real" HD. Yes sir.

I asked in Jest really. I didn't truly give **** about his response. !rolling.. Gigglegigglesnortsnort.

Let us get this NHL season started.

Edited by fireponcoal, 31 December 2012 - 11:08 AM.

#48 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 660 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

Rumour:

@JoshRimerHockey

If and when a new CBA is signed, word on the street is the NHL will make Centre Ice free for the season.

given how the NHL and its idiot in chief (aka bettman) treat the fans, it ought to be free next year too.

#49 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

Another poster who I care not to converse with. Hoosier, whatever my answer is you are already right in whatever your response would be. Rest assured.. You got this board on lock... Direct TV does have some "real" HD. Yes sir.

I asked in Jest really. I didn't truly give **** about his response. !rolling.. Gigglegigglesnortsnort.

Let us get this NHL season started.

Get back to us if you have anything all to offer.
DTV = Digital Television

#50 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

Get back to us if you have anything all to offer.

Real HD, what a card. Whatever makes one sleep at night. Hopefully the Detroit Red Wings will be playing soon and Direct TV will give em to you with the best possible PQ.. Perhaps you'll get to see some games as well.

Edited by fireponcoal, 31 December 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#51 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

Getting back on topic..... the league and the PA met today and plan on meeting briefly tomorrow (although meeting today in NYC on New Years Eve sounds a bit strange to me).

Reporters are saying Bettman has confirmed that Jan 19th is a drop dead date to begin the season. If the season starts by then, they are looking at a 48-52 game season. While that is more than half of a normal 81-game season, I don't think I'm willing to pay more than half of the 'normal' price of $171. At this point, I think I could get by on national games on the NBC networks and local RSNs while awaiting for the playoffs.

#52 OFFLINE   paulsonj72

paulsonj72

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts
  • LocationExtreme West-Central MN

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

Tenative deal reached to end lockout. http://www.startribu.../185794391.html

#53 OFFLINE   RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:16 AM

Wonder what the Center Ice pricing will be for such a short season?

#54 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,182 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

Wonder what the Center Ice pricing will be for such a short season?

i'm hoping about $99.

#55 OFFLINE   psunate77

psunate77

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

If its not free NHL seriously dont give a rats ass aout its dumb fans.. I still cant believe how people are running back to them.

#56 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

If its not free NHL seriously dont give a rats ass aout its dumb fans.. I still cant believe how people are running back to them.

If you don't want to watch, then don't. But do not call me (or anyone else) dumb for being a hockey fan.

#57 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

First, I think the NHL and the NHLPA have both been shortsighted in letting this situation run this long. Only when both sides were faced with a total loss did they decide to cut their losses.

And yes, the faithful fans, who will show up in person and watch on TV should rightly hope for some consideration.

I've suggested a discounted package combining this season and next.
Or a price for this season, discounted more than the 41% of the season's cancelled games.

But free???

That makes no sense at all. If you don't like the price they offer, don't buy it.

But no company in their right mind, gives away their product for nothing and then expects customers to "value" it.

I'm guessing total subscription to NHLCI will be down, perhaps by as much as a third, but there are many people like me, furious with the lockout but still in love with the product.

Cheers,
Another Dumb Ass

PS: Instead of just demanding something for nothing, take 5 minutes and make a serious case why "free" would benefit the league as much as it would benefit you.

#58 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 885 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

The NHL was ready to lose at one season of revenue,so I doubt giving NHLCI away would be a financial hardship.

I would give it away for free. That way all the NHLCI subs would continue to keep the package. It is easier to lose the revenue from a short NHLCI season than to try and win all the subs that going to cancel the NHLCI because of hard feelings.

With no playoff games in the plan anymore ,I don't want subs cancelling NHLCI and just watching this season's regular short season and playoff games on the network channels.

Also the quality of play for the first month of NHL games I suspect is going to be poor due to the lock out. So if the NHLCI is free the NHL doesn't anger the subs that will be complaining about the games.

So a free NHLCI package would help ease the pain the NHL's lock out caused the fans. It would also attract some new fans ,everyone loves something for free.

#59 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 660 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

First, I think the NHL and the NHLPA have both been shortsighted in letting this situation run this long. Only when both sides were faced with a total loss did they decide to cut their losses.

And yes, the faithful fans, who will show up in person and watch on TV should rightly hope for some consideration.

I've suggested a discounted package combining this season and next.
Or a price for this season, discounted more than the 41% of the season's cancelled games.

But free???

That makes no sense at all. If you don't like the price they offer, don't buy it.

But no company in their right mind, gives away their product for nothing and then expects customers to "value" it.

I'm guessing total subscription to NHLCI will be down, perhaps by as much as a third, but there are many people like me, furious with the lockout but still in love with the product.

Cheers,
Another Dumb Ass

PS: Instead of just demanding something for nothing, take 5 minutes and make a serious case why "free" would benefit the league as much as it would benefit you.

I can make the case real easy. I think the league showed absolute total disregard for its supporters and needs something to regain their goodwill. The players did not want a s trike and the owners insisted on a lockout. I would bet a good part of the dhkinil fortune that the biggest reason the league agreed was that they were seriously concerned they would lose in court once the second decertification vote came through and players could sue for damages. IIRC this happened in 1995 in baseball. I am not a labor lawyer but it is pretty hard to see how the league wins claiming unfair labor negotiation tactics during a lockout.

I run a business and work extremely hard to keep everyone who pays my freight very happy and when I screw up I bend over backwards and have taken serious losses trying to repair the damage. I am reupping CI this year, but I am pretty sure I would cancelled next season had the entire season been lost. One of my brother's friends has season tickets to an NHL team a good four hour drive from his home, Has had them for years, is giving them up. I am a Rangers fan, the Rangers play in Chicago at least twice every three years, I have not been to see them play here since the 80's. I did drive to St. Louis last season because the cost of gas, a very good hotel and two very good seats for me and the little lady were less than the cost of one comparable ticket at the United Center. If I won't pay, what about more casual fans?

I am betting the league pays heavily for this one in the non traditional markets like Florida and Phoenix.

#60 OFFLINE   quik

quik

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

No way they will give NHLCI for free or even a discount. It will be half season price though IMO.

What they will do however to try to regain interest by casual fans is give an extended 2-week+ "free-preview" on sat/cable providers.

I am wondering how Directv will handle the "auto renewal" I am thinking to contact them asap to get it removed off of my account, and wait and see what the half season price will be, because if they charge me more than half season price I will be extremely pissed.

quick
1 x HR22-100 HD-DVR

1 x HR34-700 Genie

Protected By... spam firewall...And...