Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NHL Center Ice 2012-2013 Pricing

• Please log in to reply
541 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,540 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Tony, you are surely entitled to your opinion, but I would respectfully disagree to it. As much as I love sports, they are in a sense breaking promises by holding the fans who support them hostage by not being able to come to terms and striking/locking out, and not putting a product on the ice.

I'm probably as free market as anyone on this board, but it was not sound business sense for the one sport that depends on attendance for revenue to take half of the year off. Leadership between Bettman and Fehr was lacking to say the least. I'll probably cancel NHL Gamecenter to show my displeasure over how this labor dispute was handled, but giving free Gamecenter could have a positive impact for some on how the game is received back in the public's eyes.

I don't understand holding hostage. They had no product. You got not product. How is that holding hostage? They didn't withhold anything from you as there wasn't anything to withhold.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   WingNut

WingNut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

I don't care if it is free, $50, or $100.....I just want hockey to start.

Go WINGS!!!!

#103 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

If Bettman and the BOG wanted the NHLCI to be free this season -it would be free.

Bettman and the NHL has control of the NHLCI. They can reduce the price to 99 cents if they wanted.

I doubt the NHL will do anything until they see how many subs start cancelling.If the subs don't cancel,the NHL probably will not do anything except a two week free view of NHLCI to the begin the season.

There is no such thing as free...a cost is always born by someone or something. I'm not trying to be insensitive on this, just calling it the way it is.

As an example, it costs a tremendous amount of money, manpower, bandwidth, opportunity cost, etc to broadcast anything. If Center Ice were free to the consumer, it doesn't change the costs that DISH, D*, Verizon, Comcast, etc, etc incur to carry that content. I don't think you'll see the NHL subsidize that hard cost for all those providers let alone the opportunity costs that are foregone.

Just as when the Screen Actors Guild goes on strike or the writers, etc, movies aren't free when they come back to work. I can't think of any work stoppage where someone came back from a strike or a lockout where things were "free"...if anything, they end up costing more most of the time. Directly or indirectly.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#104 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Any news on Pricing for NHL Center Ice on Dish Network?

The deal hasn't been ratified by Board of Governors. That's not until tomorrow. Until then, nothing to report.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#105 OFFLINE   psunate77

psunate77

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

From what I have read, the NHL does not have that ability.

NHL owns all broadcasting rights.

#106 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

IIRC, around this time every year DTV offers up a 'half-season' promo for around $99 so I guess we'll just hurry up and wait.

My DirecTV bill says (and has since my Sep 29 bill)

Given the delay in the season and TBD # of games missed, the price will be adjusted accordingly.

So we just have to wait to see when the season will start and how many games (all the talking heads on XM were saying it looks like a 48 game season).

#107 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

The deal hasn't been ratified by Board of Governors. That's not until tomorrow. Until then, nothing to report.

The B of G meeting is set for Wednesday....Player vote set for electronic voting on Thurs/Friday.

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#108 OFFLINE   bills976

bills976

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

There is no such thing as free...a cost is always born by someone or something. I'm not trying to be insensitive on this, just calling it the way it is.

As an example, it costs a tremendous amount of money, manpower, bandwidth, opportunity cost, etc to broadcast anything. If Center Ice were free to the consumer, it doesn't change the costs that DISH, D*, Verizon, Comcast, etc, etc incur to carry that content. I don't think you'll see the NHL subsidize that hard cost for all those providers let alone the opportunity costs that are foregone.

Just as when the Screen Actors Guild goes on strike or the writers, etc, movies aren't free when they come back to work. I can't think of any work stoppage where someone came back from a strike or a lockout where things were "free"...if anything, they end up costing more most of the time. Directly or indirectly.

I think it is far more likely that GameCenter Live is offered at a significant discount for the reasons you just stated. Internet bandwidth, regardless of the hemming and hawing of Comcast, Verizon, Time Warner, etc is cheap even at the scale required to run GameCenter. They'll lose out on subscription fees but the alternative is that people will simply forego watching hockey altogeter.

Better to get eyes in front of the advertisers than have a significantly reduced TV audience. The later's opportunity cost for the long term is far higher than foregoing a few million dollars in subscription fees for a half season.
Living Room: HR20-700 connected to a 52" Sony KDL-52Z5100
OTA: Radio Shack 15-2187 diplexed over SWM with Channel Master diplexers
Dish: CalAmp Slimline w/ WNC SWMline LNB
Spare receiver gathering dust: Phillips DSR-704

#109 OFFLINE   Microphone

Microphone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Well, at the very least, regardless what they charge I hope they FINALLY add the HD versions of the Canadian RSN's to the Center Ice package. If I watch another Calgary or Edmonton game in fuzzy SD I think I may go blind.

That will go a little ways toward bringing fans back.

Sandra

I'm with you. Been a loyal CI guy since the 90's. If GameCenter has more HD, think it might be time to experiment and flip.

#110 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

Not to mention whatever the RSN's charge to allow their feed to be reused out-of-market. I suspect that the NHL gets --at most-- one half of NHL CI fees paid by the consumer. The NHL owning broadcast rights is pretty uninteresting unless they have pre-packaged already existing actual broadcasts they can *buy* to use for it --otherwise a model like NHL CI would be way too expensive to be commercially viable.

They did add something called an "industry growth fund" of $60M in this CBA (but only funded over three years), that in theory they could use to offset in part or in whole NHL CI costs. . . but I can't say I see it likely they'd use it that way.

Personally, I cancelled my multi-year NHL CI sub as soon as it became clear there would not be an 82 game season, and swore I would not take NHL CI this season (if there turned out to be one) under any circumstances, no matter how deep the discount. I intend to stick to that.

Edited by georule, 08 January 2013 - 12:37 AM.

LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#111 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Satelliteracer, please understand that I get that you are exactly right, that it does cost a business a considerable amount of money to broadcast anything. No dispute in that premise whatsoever.

However, I'm just saying that given that the NHL has a much smaller fanbase than the other three major sports, and because they have had several past strikes that have harmed the game in recent years, it may be worth it to both owners and players to offer at least Gamecenter either free for this season or at a substantially reduced price to win back fans who have been alienated by the whole mess. Sometimes, you have to invest money to eventually win back money and customers.

#112 OFFLINE   eriksat1

eriksat1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

Here is what I figure. By last years NHL Center Ice price on a 85 game season it came to about $2.18 per game. So 48 games @ $2.18 = $104
If it is much more than that I will pass on it this season.

#113 OFFLINE   dminches

dminches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

However, I'm just saying that given that the NHL has a much smaller fanbase than the other three major sports, and because they have had several past strikes that have harmed the game in recent years, it may be worth it to both owners and players to offer at least Gamecenter either free for this season or at a substantially reduced price to win back fans who have been alienated by the whole mess. Sometimes, you have to invest money to eventually win back money and customers.

One would suspect that the smaller fan base is also a more dedicated fan base. Assuming that is the case, why won't these fans be watching from day one? Why do they need an incentive to return to the game?

Everyone has been hoping for a settlement. I assume that means they want to watch when the games resume. I see no need for the NHL to give anything way for free.

DirecTV subscriber since 1994
HR44 (5 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 via HDMI

HR24-500 (2 TB eSata) -> Samsung 50" via HDMI
HR24-100 (1.5 TB eSata) -> Sony 50E2000 via HDMI
HR24-700 - owned (2 TB internal) -> Samsung LN32A550 via HDMI
HR20-100s - owned -> Sony Bravia 40"

#114 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Here is what I figure. By last years NHL Center Ice price on a 85 game season it came to about $2.18 per game. So 48 games @ $2.18 = $104
If it is much more than that I will pass on it this season.

Actually the NHL normally plays an 82 game schedule.

#115 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 883 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

We were talking about being free -as in no charge to me the subscriber.

The NHL and BOG would be paying whatever percentage of the NHLCI was paid to anyone besides the NHL.

That would the NHL's and BOG's thank you to the fans/me for not cancelling the NHLCI.

I get NHLCI at no cost they pay the bill.

#116 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,540 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

We were talking about being free -as in no charge to me the subscriber.

The NHL and BOG would be paying whatever percentage of the NHLCI was paid to anyone besides the NHL.

That would the NHL's and BOG's thank you to the fans/me for not cancelling the NHLCI.

I get NHLCI at no cost they pay the bill.

So you not only want them to waive revenue, you want them to pay others to say they are sorry to you.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#117 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

I'm with you. Been a loyal CI guy since the 90's. If GameCenter has more HD, think it might be time to experiment and flip.

I very much hope I'm wrong on this, but I fear there will be less Canadian feeds both SD and HD this year. The reason? With a compressed schedule and the need to run both NHLCI and NBALP there won't be enough bandwidth to increase Canadian feeds.

Also, NHLCI on DirecTV has rarely shown TSN feeds at all and since they will have a lot of games between now and the end of the season, those of us who cheer for Canadian Teams had better get used to not seeing our home feeds very much.

As I say, I hope I'm wrong but I'm not expecting a good package at all this year and that's down to DirecTV and not the NHL.

#118 OFFLINE   bosco10021

bosco10021

Icon

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

I also hope you are wrong. It seems like us hockey fans are always getting the short end.

#119 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

As I say, I hope I'm wrong but I'm not expecting a good package at all this year and that's down to DirecTV and not the NHL.

You are being too kind to the NHL, for years they have been offering a substandard CI package compared to the NBA and MLB packages. Those leagues were smart enough to send HD feeds for all games to the package providers such as D*. As one would expect from a league run as poorly as the NHL, they have never done this and only last year finally started giving us any Canadian HD in the package at all.

It will be very interesting to see what price is asked for CI this year, I don't expect it will be free.

#120 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

I've had Gamecenter the last few years. The plus to the package is that they do have much more HD feeds, especially of Canadian teams. They also include NHL Vault in the price so that you can access classic games. Can't access NHL Vault through Apple TV, but you can access it through Roku.

The negative with NHL Gamecenter is that there seems to be more problems w/streaming feeds on Gamecenter compared to the other major sports streaming packages. The last two years, I have had much more trouble streaming feeds from Gamecenter compared to MLB.TV, especially when I try to stream wirelessly on my Roku.

I can stream either wirelessly or wired through Apple TV with good luck, but my experiences are that if you try to stream Gamecenter wirelessly through Roku, feeds are frequently interrupted. My DSL connection through CenturyLink is up to 10 Mbps, so speed of the connection was not an issue for me. I would run my Windows disk cleaner, CCleaner and then reboot both the modem and my computer before streaming a game, and this did seem to help with the streaming stability issue most of the time.

If your Roku stream is wired, the streaming is more stable, at least in my experiences. However, I still had occasional streaming issues with Gamecenter, esp. w/Roku, when I tried to use my Roku wirelessly. Microphone, I hope this info is helpful to you.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...