Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I'm looking to save a little $

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mmurray21

mmurray21

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

We have a receiver out on the patio and I hate paying the unit fee for the box.

Is there a way that I can use the existing internet connection that is coming through the coax cable to hook up a nice slingplayer connection (w/wd live) so that I can avoid this cost?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 173 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

By internet connection on the coax, are you referring to a DirecTV CCK connected to the line or do you have Cable internet and are referring to that? Short answer to this is no.

There are adapters that can be used to make a coax carry TCP/IP network (read internet) data (here's a link with several: http://www.netsys-di...gory_s/1818.htm). You'd have to disconnect that coax from any other services and find a way to get the ethernet back to your router.

Another option would be to use an RF adapter and hook up composite cables to another receiver. I do this with my receiver located in the Kitchen and it feeds an old SD tube tv in a spare bedroom.

Another option would be if you have Wi-Fi, you could simply ignore the coax altogether. Put the slingbox near a receiver and get an internet connection to it, then use a laptop or Wi-Fi capable desktop/media center PC to access the streaming content.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#3 OFFLINE   funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

SnapAV makes a balun for transmitting HDMI over coax, but they only sell to installers. You may find another company makes a similar device.

Of course, this requires a coax to the box.
LR: 50" Samsung plasma, Samsung bluray, HR24, H25, Roku, Denon AVR-1912, URC MX-450 with RF.

BR1: 32" Sony LCD, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun.

BR2: 32" Acer LCD, H25, Xbox 360.

Bonus: 73" mitsubishi 73742, HR24, SnapAV HDMI balun

#4 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

I have s Slingbox Classic connected to a HR21 in my basement. It is mostly used for slinging to my wife's IMac in her office or my laptop when we are out on the deck. I also sling to my IPhone and IPad when on the road. This set up is SD only and then I switch resolutions when I want to watch the basement HD set. This is much simpler then running additional cable and boxes to other rooms and works fine for us.

#5 OFFLINE   mmurray21

mmurray21

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

By internet connection on the coax, are you referring to a DirecTV CCK connected to the line or do you have Cable internet and are referring to that? Short answer to this is no.

There are adapters that can be used to make a coax carry TCP/IP network (read internet) data (here's a link with several: http://www.netsys-di...gory_s/1818.htm). You'd have to disconnect that coax from any other services and find a way to get the ethernet back to your router.

Another option would be to use an RF adapter and hook up composite cables to another receiver. I do this with my receiver located in the Kitchen and it feeds an old SD tube tv in a spare bedroom.

Another option would be if you have Wi-Fi, you could simply ignore the coax altogether. Put the slingbox near a receiver and get an internet connection to it, then use a laptop or Wi-Fi capable desktop/media center PC to access the streaming content.

Yes, this is correct. I was hoping that since i have internet coming through the combined signal, I would be able to just pull that internet signal off and use it for the sling box. I am going to try the wifi route.

Thanks for all the responses....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...