Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lifelong cable customer has a DirecTV installation scheduled this Wednesday

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tseverson

tseverson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

I apologize for posting this only a couple of days before the installation.

My knowledge about directv is about zero. I sure would like to find some information about how to get the best installation possible.

I am installing 1 HD-DVR and 2 other HD receivers. On Slickdeals.net I read that the HR24 is the best normal 2 tuner HD DVR and the HR25 is the best HD receiver (without DVR). I have read the HR34 has a software bug and I so I am staying away from it.

The HR24 will give me whole house DVR functionality so I intend to call the installation 800 number and request 1 HR24 and 2 HR25 receivers. I also read that if the installer does arrive with the equipment I want, I will reschedule the installation for a later date.

A renter in my basement about 5 years ago had directv installed and the wiring for the basement is still there. By looking at the wiring lying on the ground leading to my house (I buried the cabling) and also lying on top of my rafters in my garage, I believe the installer just wanted to get in and get out and probably did not do the best job possible. The only place to put the new dish is about 25 feet from the old dish out near the street (100 feet from the corner of my garage). Will new cabling be needed or can the installer just connect the new dish to the old cabling use the old cabling already in place in my house? I wonder if running cable with fewer connections is the best way to cable a house.

Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated and I will keep looking for information on the forums.

TIA, Terry

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tseverson

tseverson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

Error correction.

I also read that if the installer does NOT arrive with the equipment I want, I will reschedule the installation for a later date.

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

Does your order state that you are having Whole Home installed? I believe new MRV installations get the HR24 DVR and possibly H25 non-DVR receivers.

The installer will check whatever coax is left from the previous installation and upgrade as necessary. They will also check for line of sight. Why do you think the new dish needs to be 25' from the old dish? Tree growth?

BTW, any of the HR2x series of DVR will work with MRV.

I take it that the DirecTV installation in 2010 fell through!
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=181990
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

All software based equipment is subject to bugs and is a work in progress. I have had a HR34 since February and have had very few bugs. I would get the flagship receiver and watch them improve it. Also the HR34 is the only receiver you can specify to be installed, the rest is luck of the draw, unless you plan to own your receivers.

#5 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 915 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

I've Had H25 NON dvr's since 2008 without any issue..then again I got mine when Best Buy was still selling Directv receivers..who knows what condition you may get your boxes from the back of that install truck..

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,254 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

What you get when you order from DIRECTV is whatever they pull from inventory. You cannot be guaranteed of getting a particular model (except, as noted above, the HR34). Know that just like cable companies, satellite companies regularly refurbish equipment and return it to service in both new installs and replacement situations.

It probably wouldn't hurt to ask to see and, perhaps more importantly, smell the receivers before they begin installation.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,254 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

I've Had H25 NON dvr's since 2008 without any issue..then again I got mine when Best Buy was still selling Directv receivers..who knows what condition you may get your boxes from the back of that install truck..

The H25 became widely available in Spring of 2011. If your receivers are from 2008, it is more likely that they are H21s or maybe H23s (Summer 2008).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,254 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

On Slickdeals.net I read that the HR24 is the best normal 2 tuner HD DVR and the HR25 is the best HD receiver (without DVR).

The single concern with the H25 (not HR25) is that it lacks some flexibility with respect to what kinds of TVs and sound systems it can drive and where you may locate it.

From the factory, it lacks RF remote capability and the ability to drive a HDTV that doesn't support HDMI. On the audio front, it offers coaxial digital audio but not the more conventional optical output.

These may or may not seem like shortcomings to you depending on your setup but they can be real problems that don't exist on other models.

Remember also that a box is required for each TV; there's nothing available without a box.

#9 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 915 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

The H25 became widely available in Spring of 2011. If your receivers are from 2008, it is more likely that they are H21s or maybe H23s (Summer 2008).

I stand corrected they are H21's

#10 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

From my recent experience be prepared for new cabling to be installed and routed in and out of your home even if you already have your own cabling. Clear all the areas where you expect work to be done in for easy access. I had a very large order so I took the day off from work to be present for the full installation. You may want to consider doing this too if you work that day. Also it is very important you go over exactly what will done before he actually does anything.

#11 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

As harsh says, I wouldn't want a used Box in the house. Was the last person a heavy smoker? I know that as a non smoker the smell from a smoker's equipment bothers me.
And if it smelled like bug spray It wouldn't make in in the door either.

Did they have bedbugs or roaches? Fleas?

I repair computers and I have to keep a can of Raid handy for the occasional computer that is alive. My workbench here at work is probably contaminated from all the Raid I've sprayed on it over the years when things start scurrying away from a customers computer.

Those go in a garbage bag with some Raid sprayed in and returned to the customer. Just not worth taking a chance on their getting into my house.

YMMV of course
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#12 OFFLINE   bong... james bong

bong... james bong

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:23 PM

I also switched not too long ago, and the installer actually did a very good job with cables and everything. Actually better than i had it before. Although i was hoping for a hr24 i got a hr22
=(

but i had ordered a international package and apparently i need a different type of satellite than the one put in?, will i get a different receiver? I hope so ..

Edited by bong... james bong, 10 September 2012 - 04:31 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,016 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

I also switched not too long ago, and the installer actually did a very good job with cables and everything. Actually better than i had it before. Although i was hoping for a hr24 i got a hr22
=(

but i had ordered a international package and apparently i need a different type of satellite than the one put in?, will i get a different receiver? I hope so ..

No you will keep the receiver that was installed.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,254 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

If you're looking for both international and HD programming, you'll have two relatively large dishes. There is no international HD (save a couple Spanish language channels).

The receivers required do NOT change as a result of subscribing to international programming. The default boxes are the R16 DVR and the D12 receiver.

Edited by harsh, 10 September 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#15 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,789 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

The HR24 will give me whole house DVR functionality so I intend to call the installation 800 number and request 1 HR24 and 2 HR25 receivers.

You can't specify models, as others have noted. As to refusing the install, that's your choice but the installer then makes the trip for nothing (and gets paid nothing for doing so).

Any of the HR2x receivers is considered current by DirecTV, and any of the H2x receivers. Note there is no HR25. The "R" indicates a recorder, so the HR24 is a DVR and the H25 is a non-DVR receiver. Any H2x receiver (with one exception) can watch recordings from any HR2x DVR via whole-home.

As to the HR34, I agree it is the device to choose if you have an option. Might cost you $99 over an HR2x, but it is well worth it.

#16 OFFLINE   bong... james bong

bong... james bong

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

If you're looking for both international and HD programming, you'll have two relatively large dishes. There is no international HD (save a couple Spanish language channels).

The receivers required do NOT change as a result of subscribing to international programming. The default boxes are the R16 DVR and the D12 receiver.

you're telling me they're going to install another dish? I was under the impression (based on what they told me) that the current one would be replaced. I'm i reading that wrong?

#17 OFFLINE   tseverson

tseverson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

Does your order state that you are having Whole Home installed? I believe new MRV installations get the HR24 DVR and possibly H25 non-DVR receivers.

The installer will check whatever coax is left from the previous installation and upgrade as necessary. They will also check for line of sight. Why do you think the new dish needs to be 25' from the old dish? Tree growth?

BTW, any of the HR2x series of DVR will work with MRV.

I take it that the DirecTV installation in 2010 fell through!

The 2010 install did fail because of trees. The first 2012 install also failed because of trees but I cleared out brush and small tree growth in an area near the old dish location (still there) and the directv installer was kind enough to return a couple of days later and verify good satellite contact in the cleared out area.

#18 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

you're telling me they're going to install another dish? I was under the impression (based on what they told me) that the current one would be replaced. I'm i reading that wrong?

If you have HD, you will have 2 dishes. If you have SD and get locals from the 101, you will have 1 dish.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#19 OFFLINE   bong... james bong

bong... james bong

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

yeah i have hd, hmm thanks for the help

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,673 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:36 PM

I apologize for posting this only a couple of days before the installation.

My knowledge about directv is about zero. I sure would like to find some information about how to get the best installation possible.

I am installing 1 HD-DVR and 2 other HD receivers. On Slickdeals.net I read that the HR24 is the best normal 2 tuner HD DVR and the HR25 is the best HD receiver (without DVR). I have read the HR34 has a software bug and I so I am staying away from it.

The HR24 will give me whole house DVR functionality so I intend to call the installation 800 number and request 1 HR24 and 2 HR25 receivers. I also read that if the installer does arrive with the equipment I want, I will reschedule the installation for a later date.

A renter in my basement about 5 years ago had directv installed and the wiring for the basement is still there. By looking at the wiring lying on the ground leading to my house (I buried the cabling) and also lying on top of my rafters in my garage, I believe the installer just wanted to get in and get out and probably did not do the best job possible. The only place to put the new dish is about 25 feet from the old dish out near the street (100 feet from the corner of my garage). Will new cabling be needed or can the installer just connect the new dish to the old cabling use the old cabling already in place in my house? I wonder if running cable with fewer connections is the best way to cable a house.

Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated and I will keep looking for information on the forums.

TIA, Terry

Get the hr34. It will be the platform that adds more features going forward than the older units, it is the future, and the "bugs" it has and people report today aren't like they where months ago. (the original HR20 had lost of issues when it was first released, and within about six months or so, it was running smooth, just as the hr34 today which has now been out 6 months.) None of the bugs i have seen now are anything that keeps it from being usable, or reliable, and is more cosmetic and those issues will go away. (and most those are related to issues with seeing recordings from other dvrs, which you won't have) Today, I'd say the amount of issues present are about the same as the amount of people having issues with any of their equipment in general, in terms of what I see posted here at dbstalk. Its definetly safe to jump in.

You will be much happier with a hr34.

spam firewall