Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lifelong cable customer has a DirecTV installation scheduled this Wednesday

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,006 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:38 PM

you're telling me they're going to install another dish? I was under the impression (based on what they told me) that the current one would be replaced. I'm i reading that wrong?

It depends on what "international" programming you subscribe to. Spanish language programming is on the 119 satellite, which you receive with a 5 LNB Slimline dish. Other international, such as Russian, chinese, etc., comes from the 95 satellite which does require a separate dish.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:21 AM

It depends on what "international" programming you subscribe to. Spanish language programming is on the 119 satellite, which you receive with a 5 LNB Slimline dish. Other international, such as Russian, chinese, etc., comes from the 95 satellite which does require a separate dish.

Jadeworld is also on the 119.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#23 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:55 AM

Get the hr34. It will be the platform that adds more features going forward than the older units, it is the future, and the "bugs" it has and people report today aren't like they where months ago. (the original HR20 had lost of issues when it was first released, and within about six months or so, it was running smooth, just as the hr34 today which has now been out 6 months.) None of the bugs i have seen now are anything that keeps it from being usable, or reliable, and is more cosmetic and those issues will go away. (and most those are related to issues with seeing recordings from other dvrs, which you won't have) Today, I'd say the amount of issues present are about the same as the amount of people having issues with any of their equipment in general, in terms of what I see posted here at dbstalk. Its definetly safe to jump in.

You will be much happier with a hr34.

+1000000

The small bugs on the 34 are insignificant and they are improving the 34 with each software release. The 34 has far more features than hr24 and you will run into record program conflicts with only 1 DVR with only 2 tuners. Trust us on this one.
DirecTV customer since 1995

#24 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

I have read the HR34 has a software bug and I so I am staying away from it.

The main bug is not being able to download and watch VOD content without constant random pausing/skipping. If your not ordering any other DVRs with it then you have to deal with the problem until they fix it which could be months. The solution currently is to download the VOD from another DVR then watch via MRV on the 34 and it works fine, personally I don't have another HR2X series DVR so I am stuck dealing with this problem...

#25 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,325 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

The main bug is not being able to download and watch VOD content without constant random pausing/skipping. If your not ordering any other DVRs with it then you have to deal with the problem until they fix it which could be months. The solution currently is to download the VOD from another DVR then watch via MRV on the 34 and it works fine, personally I don't have another HR2X series DVR so I am stuck dealing with this problem...

Yes this is quite bothersome, lucky for me I do have another HD DVR to help ease the pain of the HR 34 on demand bug.:(

#26 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

Pretty sure it won't take months from now... ;)

Even still, that alone is not something that would ever make me choose a 2 tuner DVR over a 5 tuner DVR, especially knowing that won't be a problem for long...

#27 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

Hmmm you might be on to something.... :D According to what texasbrit posted here http://forums.direct...PostID=11116474

#28 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

Hmmm you might be on to something.... :D According to what texasbrit posted here http://forums.direct...PostID=11116474

;)

#29 OFFLINE   tseverson

tseverson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

Thanks for all of the helpful information. After reading your comments, I decided to go with the HR34 so on Sunday evening I called directv and ordered an HR34. I just didn’t want to go with the luck of the draw with my new HD DVR. The HR34 cost to me an extra $99 + tax.

I called the installation number and changed the installation to Tuesday Sept. 18 so I would have more time to prepare my house for the installation. The dish will be mounted on the ground near the street running in front of my house. I need to clean up the area so the installer has an easy time putting in a pole is needed to get clear access to the satellites and cabling running from the dish to the house.

I have a few new questions and I do appreciate your tips and recommendations as to what I should consider.

Can the directv installer also download the latest software update for the HR34 as part of the installation? I usually update any new equipment to the latest software version immediately after installation. I would also like to see the steps involved in the software updating process.

Will installing the latest software update all direcctv equipment such as my HR34 and the 2 HD receivers or are there different software updates for different equipment?
I expect the Cinema Connection Kit becomes involved in software updates. My wi-fi network has a random 63 character (numbers and both upper and lower case letters) passphrase and I am not looking forward to manually entering it using a TV remote (I use cut and paste when a computer needs the passphrase).

My basement has a drop ceiling so I can move ceiling tile around and run cable to all of the rooms in my house. My cable company ran cable to several rooms that do not have TVs in them right now such as a spare bedroom. I have used TVs in these rooms in the past. My order has 3 TVs in it in 3 different rooms. Will the installer run cable in the ceiling (or leave extra cable in the ceiling) for possible expansion into more than 3 rooms?

The cable company ran the cable from the street into my utility room in the basement (using the drop ceiling) and branched cable to all other rooms from that single location. All the splitters are in the utility room for easy access. Can I expect the directv installer to follow this type of layout?

The cable company put in a cable TV amplifier in the cable structure to increase the signal level for traveling an extended distance (my guess is the longest cable run is about 80 feet). Is signal strength over an extended distance an issue with directv?

As always, your comments and suggestions are appreciated.
Terry

#30 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

Thanks for all of the helpful information. After reading your comments, I decided to go with the HR34 so on Sunday evening I called directv and ordered an HR34. I just didn’t want to go with the luck of the draw with my new HD DVR. The HR34 cost to me an extra $99 + tax.

I called the installation number and changed the installation to Tuesday Sept. 18 so I would have more time to prepare my house for the installation. The dish will be mounted on the ground near the street running in front of my house. I need to clean up the area so the installer has an easy time putting in a pole is needed to get clear access to the satellites and cabling running from the dish to the house.

I have a few new questions and I do appreciate your tips and recommendations as to what I should consider.

Can the directv installer also download the latest software update for the HR34 as part of the installation? I usually update any new equipment to the latest software version immediately after installation. I would also like to see the steps involved in the software updating process.

Will installing the latest software update all direcctv equipment such as my HR34 and the 2 HD receivers or are there different software updates for different equipment?
I expect the Cinema Connection Kit becomes involved in software updates. My wi-fi network has a random 63 character (numbers and both upper and lower case letters) passphrase and I am not looking forward to manually entering it using a TV remote (I use cut and paste when a computer needs the passphrase).

My basement has a drop ceiling so I can move ceiling tile around and run cable to all of the rooms in my house. My cable company ran cable to several rooms that do not have TVs in them right now such as a spare bedroom. I have used TVs in these rooms in the past. My order has 3 TVs in it in 3 different rooms. Will the installer run cable in the ceiling (or leave extra cable in the ceiling) for possible expansion into more than 3 rooms?

The cable company ran the cable from the street into my utility room in the basement (using the drop ceiling) and branched cable to all other rooms from that single location. All the splitters are in the utility room for easy access. Can I expect the directv installer to follow this type of layout?

The cable company put in a cable TV amplifier in the cable structure to increase the signal level for traveling an extended distance (my guess is the longest cable run is about 80 feet). Is signal strength over an extended distance an issue with directv?

As always, your comments and suggestions are appreciated.
Terry

Software updates are automatic you don't need to worry about that. If a newer version is in the stream it will update it.

The installer may be able to tie into your existing wires but only he'll be able to tell you for sure. Technicians get paid by the job not the hour so if it's up to spec and is easier he will do it. If the cable is not up to spec though he will not be able to use it and have to run new lines.

Any RF signal is impacted by distance so depending on how long the run is from your pole to the house and then the internal lines are you may need to look at amps which is not something DIRECTV will provide. If you can post the length that the trench will be and then the distance of your lines inside it will give us a better idea.

DIRECTV does not future proof installations so they'll only install what is necessary to get your 3 TV's going. They will not, and should not, connect your other rooms as this would also impact your signal strength depending on splitters used.

Another factor is where the ground is for your house as well. DIRECTV will have to have the system grounded so they'll run a line to the ground. The easiest way to find it is to look to see where your cable is grounded. They'll put a grounding block there. So the distance from the dish to there is important and then from there to the inside.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#31 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,583 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

Terry-

Looks like you're on the right track, and you sound very much like the kind of guy who would enjoy and add to the CE program. There are guidelines and so forth, but it's where we get together to test and report on new software.

In the meantime, fire away with questions. I have a new HR34 and will be joining the testing starting tomorrow.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#32 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,936 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

From the standpoint of history, how often do HR34 NRs come out?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#33 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,325 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

From the standpoint of history, how often do HR34 NRs come out?

Well, my HR 34 is on its 4th National release, I've only had it since May 14th of this year.

#34 OFFLINE   tseverson

tseverson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

I just ran a tape and found the spot in which the pole will probably be placed is 52 feet from the corner of my garage. The distance across the garage to the attached house is about 30 feet. The distance from where the line will enter the house to the utility room is 32 feet with another 13 feet to get to the far end of the utility room.

The total distance is 114 feet from the pole to entering the utility room and 127 feet to the far end of the utility room. Comcast entered the house in the utility room and I expect they grounded their cabling at that point. Directv is coming from the opposite side of my property to get to the utility room.

Hope that helps in any calculations. I would think the directv's first opportunity to ground the system is when they enter the garage (non-heated garage) 52 feet from the pole.

#35 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,936 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

That's awfully far. How long the run can be depends partly on how many legs there are and how long each leg is. A primitive guideline might be that total wire consumed by the downlead and all legs must be less than 300'.

VOS had a handy chart that gives a better picture of what's going on in terms of combinations of lengths.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#36 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

I just ran a tape and found the spot in which the pole will probably be placed is 52 feet from the corner of my garage. The distance across the garage to the attached house is about 30 feet. The distance from where the line will enter the house to the utility room is 32 feet with another 13 feet to get to the far end of the utility room.

The total distance is 114 feet from the pole to entering the utility room and 127 feet to the far end of the utility room. Comcast entered the house in the utility room and I expect they grounded their cabling at that point. Directv is coming from the opposite side of my property to get to the utility room.

Hope that helps in any calculations. I would think the directv's first opportunity to ground the system is when they enter the garage (non-heated garage) 52 feet from the pole.

I think you will be ok, maybe vos can narrow that down for you. About how far form the utility room to the rooms where the receivers will all be?

I have a total distance of about 180 feet on several of my boxes, and I have no issues.

#37 OFFLINE   tseverson

tseverson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

That's awfully far. How long the run can be depends partly on how many legs there are and how long each leg is. A primitive guideline might be that total wire consumed by the downlead and all legs must be less than 300'.

VOS had a handy chart that gives a better picture of what's going on in terms of combinations of lengths.

I can’t do anything about the 52 feet from the dish location to the garage but once inside the garage, I don’t have to go all the way to the opposite side of my house to the utility room.

Since I have a drop ceiling in my entire basement, I could locate a splitter in my basement ceiling near the center of my house about 102 feet from the dish (52 feet to garage + 30 feet across garage to get inside the house + 20 more feet to a reach a central location in my home). I could then have 3 cable runs from the central location of the splitter of 25 feet, 30 feet and the longest run of 35 feet to my reach my 3 TVs. Would that be OK?

Thanks for your responses,

Terry

#38 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

I would get a drawing up here so we can see better options. However I think you may run into issues with lengths and may need to get additional equipment. However without really seeing a layout it's going to be hard to say for sure.

#39 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 380 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

I would think the directv's first opportunity to ground the system is when they enter the garage (non-heated garage) 52 feet from the pole.

Not to say it cant happen with you install but i'll let you in on what i was told on my install..

The first installer left the job and never grounded the system at all... i called up Directv and questioned it and they sent out another installer.

The second guy came , looked at it and left.... so i got Ellen's office involved in my questioning it... They sent out there "supervising lead tech" the very next day.

This come comes out, goes over it and says "looks good to me"... so i questioned it with him. BTW this guy also stated that internet forums such as DBSTalk are filled with people that really don't know what there doing:bang... i disagree...

Then he preceded to claim that it is directv's policy that if the dish is more than 15ft from the point where the electric service is grounded it is "OK" to let the dish ungrounded. :nono2:

Personally driving around town i have seen people with pole mounts that have installed a grounding rod right next to where the dish is located but i have no clue if that was done by Directv installer or on there own or if it would even pass QC to do that...

Just my experiance with it.. HIH

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#40 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

I have a question about pole mount grounding.

If the dish is mounted to a metal pole that is in the ground about 2 feet with some concrete around that to keep it from moving, isn't it self grounded ?
I am not an electrician, but this sounds logical to me.

Thanks

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...