Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lifelong cable customer has a DirecTV installation scheduled this Wednesday

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,196 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

I have a question about pole mount grounding.

If the dish is mounted to a metal pole that is in the ground about 2 feet with some concrete around that to keep it from moving, isn't it self grounded ?
I am not an electrician, but this sounds logical to me.

Thanks

If the ground in contact with the pole stays wet, you have a good ground. I'm not trained in these matters, so do not rely on my opinion!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

I have a question about pole mount grounding.

If the dish is mounted to a metal pole that is in the ground about 2 feet with some concrete around that to keep it from moving, isn't it self grounded ?
I am not an electrician, but this sounds logical to me.

Thanks

If the pole were say 8 feet and you burried 2 feet naked and then had 2 feet in concrete to hold it together then it would work. In the majority of pole mounts very little if any of the pole is actually touching dirt.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#43 OFFLINE   tseverson

tseverson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

The installer just left and he could not connect to my wireless network. He installed an HR-34 and 2 H25 receivers and has everything running but he said I could not access ON DEMAND or Pandora.

I have a Buffalo Airstation Wireless G router (the model is WHR-HP-G54). The installer was looking for a “WPS button” to push on the router and could not find one. There was only one button on the router to push and it did not work. I held the button in for a long time and I believe the installer did something on the HR-34 in an effort to connect the HR-34 to my wireless network.

I told the installer I have a 63 character wireless network passphrase consisting of 63 random numbers, upper case letters, and lower case letters. He did not think I could have a passphrase that long that would work with the HR-34.

The router is about 50 feet away from the HR-34. I just booted my laptop by sitting next to the HR-34 (50 feet from router) and I was able to connect to the Internet.

A few months ago I noticed my router’s antenna was broken at the base (I guess the router must have fallen off my desk and the antenna broke). Since the router was broken at the base, I just taped the antenna back on and everything has worked fine.
I just downloaded the User Manual for the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 router and found out the button I was pushing was the AOSS button (AirStation One-Touch Security System). Too many security systems for me to figure out.

I am thinking the issue is my Buffalo router supports WEP security and perhaps it does not supprot WPS. From a google search:
WEP stands for: Wired Equivalent Privacy, Sometimes erroneously called "Wireless Encryption Protocol. WPS: Wi-Fi Protected Setup is a standard for easy and secure establishment of a wireless network.

Do I need a new router that has a WPS button (and fixes the broken antenna) or can I manually connect the HR-34 to my wireless network?

The installer said when I get the Internet to work call directv and request an upgrade. I believe the upgrade involves using something called a WiFi Deca to connect the HR-34 to my wireless network. Is there a charge for this upgrade or is it still part of my initial free installation? My internet works fine right now but not with the HR-34.

Also I have no idea if the Cinema Connection Kit was installed or if the HR-34 had to be able to access the wireless network before the kit could be installed. How can I tell if it is installed?

Your comments, suggestions and opinions are appreciated.

Terry

#44 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,901 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

The 63 character password won't work unless you manually go into the WCCK and set it that way. You can't do it via the HR34.

However, you don't even need the WCCK if you have an open ethernet port on your router you can just run an ethernet cable to the HR34 and you will be hooked up.

#45 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:45 PM

It should be possible to
access the WDCCK’s internal configuration page
using a browser pointing to its IP address, which
should be obtainable through the router table. If
the WDCCK is unconfigured, a direct ethernet
connection (no crossover) should allow you to
connect at: http://169.254.1.100:8080. The default
username is “admin” and the password is “admin.”

#46 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

You don't need a WPS supported router to use the WCCK. Just try running the wireless network setup on a receiver and connect as you would with a laptop. Find your router's SSID and try punching in your key. You may want to consider switching security protocols to WPA or WPA2 from WEP.

Having WPS only makes connecting to your router securely easier. It is not required.

Edited by litex2x, 19 September 2012 - 11:40 AM.

#47 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

The installer just left and he could not connect to my wireless network. He installed an HR-34 and 2 H25 receivers and has everything running but he said I could not access ON DEMAND or Pandora.

I have a Buffalo Airstation Wireless G router (the model is WHR-HP-G54). The installer was looking for a “WPS button” to push on the router and could not find one. There was only one button on the router to push and it did not work. I held the button in for a long time and I believe the installer did something on the HR-34 in an effort to connect the HR-34 to my wireless network.

I told the installer I have a 63 character wireless network passphrase consisting of 63 random numbers, upper case letters, and lower case letters. He did not think I could have a passphrase that long that would work with the HR-34.

Terry

First off having a 63 digit password is extreme and then having it on WEP negates it. WEP is a joke if someone wants your password they can get it easily enough.

If you can run a cable and are happy with the results that will be better than wireless. If not then change your encryption to WPA or WPA2 as recommended already and choose an 12-16 character password if you're really concerned about someone getting it. With that said your average password of 6-8 characters is fine. It's just internet service and most people won't even bother trying to get on locked networks when there are so many unsecured ones out there.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#48 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

i would go wired personally as it is a more stable connection then the up and down wireless could be depending on distance from the router
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#49 OFFLINE   tseverson

tseverson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

Another question about my DirecTV install:

The installer never ran any new cable when he switched me from Comcast to DirecTV. The installer used the existing Comcast cable network in my house and just switched out Comcast equipment to DirecTV equipment.

I had a renter in my basement install DirecTV about 6 years ago. At that time the DirecTV installer put in a standard dish out near the street and ran Cat 6 from the dish over 110 feet into my utility room in the basement. Comcast came into the same utility room from the opposite end of my house and ran their own cable throughout the drop ceiling to several rooms (both in the basement and in the first floor above the basement) about 17 years ago. About 4 years ago when I bought a couple of HD TVs, a Comcast installer upgraded part of the Comcast cabling during his work in connecting cable to the new HD TVs.

On my new DirecTV installation, the installer replaced the old dish with a new dish and used the already installed Cat 6 line to reach the utility room. He then unhooked the 3 lines in the Comcast cable network running to the 3 TVs in my DirecTV installation order and connected them to a new DirecTV splitter. At this point his cabling work was finished (no new cable was needed). Everything seems to work OK.

Question: Are there any issues with the approach of the DirecTV installer using the installed Comcast cable network?

Edited by tseverson, 20 September 2012 - 06:26 AM.

#50 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,691 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

As long as the cabling between the PI and the dish is RG6, you're golden. For long runs, the RG6 needs to be solid copper as opposed to copper coated steel. Even at that, many installers still use CCS cable and it works.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#51 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

As long as the cabling between the PI and the dish is RG6, you're golden. For long runs, the RG6 needs to be solid copper as opposed to copper coated steel. Even at that, many installers still use CCS cable and it works.

Uh, can you show me where DirecTV says installers can use ccs for rg6 instead of solid core copper?

#52 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,691 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:32 AM

Uh, can you show me where DirecTV says installers can use ccs for rg6 instead of solid core copper?

It doesn't say that they can. That doesn't change the fact that some do it anyway.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#53 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

It doesn't say that they can. That doesn't change the fact that some do it anyway.

Inky:

Sheldon will take it from here...

Posted Image
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#54 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

haha sheldon is a character...

while I hate to agree with that Dish Network dog, many, many jobs are done with copper clad wire for all the inside wiring. Example brand new homes built today are all wired with all copper clad wiring, an outlet in each room all being fed down to the electric meter. alot of basements are finished. people dont want holes drilled and black wires run all over the outside of their brand new house. And people dont want to spend custom money rewiring their entire house after the drywall is up. Most techs I know will rewire the easy stuff with solid copper. The line from the dish to the splitter solid copper. But rewiring entire prewired houses all over again? I dont know any techs that do that. It is what it is.

#55 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,691 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

If the issue is whether or not DIRECTV's published installation guidelines are being followed, they are not and that's not something to claim vindication over.

#56 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

while I hate to agree with that Dish Network dog, many, many jobs are done with copper clad wire for all the inside wiring. Example brand new homes built today are all wired with all copper clad wiring, an outlet in each room all being fed down to the electric meter. alot of basements are finished. people dont want holes drilled and black wires run all over the outside of their brand new house. And people dont want to spend custom money rewiring their entire house after the drywall is up. Most techs I know will rewire the easy stuff with solid copper. The line from the dish to the splitter solid copper. But rewiring entire prewired houses all over again? I dont know any techs that do that. It is what it is.

Any wiring done by a DirecTV tech will be with solid copper core. Heck, they have their name on their coax these days that the techs get for their trucks, so there is not even a debate about it. 3rd party companies should be the same, it's the private installer you might run into trouble with.

As for the wiring, of course that is correct. Here is the kicker to all this though, unless the runs are long, it really shouldn't matter. Only in long runs should it cause any real harm, for several reasons. When DirecTV designed swim, one of the benefits is that it doesn't use the same bandwidth as non swim, and was meant to be able to run over existing house wiring, and often times even work with rg59. They'd rather not ever do that, but it can be done, and does work for shorter distances. I know, I have tried it. They just don't want their techs doing that because often times there are other issues that cause bigger problems with existing wiring.

#57 OFFLINE   funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

I prewire houses, and this is not true. All of the installers in my area use quad shield solid copper RG6, but especially us because we also do D* installs.
LR: 50" Samsung plasma, Samsung bluray, HR24, H25, Roku, Denon AVR-1912, URC MX-450 with RF.

BR1: 32" Sony LCD, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun.

BR2: 32" Acer LCD, H25, Xbox 360.

Bonus: 73" mitsubishi 73742, HR24, SnapAV HDMI balun

#58 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,691 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

3rd party companies should be the same, it's the private installer you might run into trouble with.

Is Mastec considered "in house", 3rd party or private?

#59 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

I prewire houses, and this is not true. All of the installers in my area use quad shield solid copper RG6, but especially us because we also do D* installs.

That's great in your area, but that's not the case everywhere. Heck, I have seen new homes where they don't even put jacks in places that make sense because it would have taken another 20 feet of coax! Some builders in my area seem to think, just one plug in a room, and then let the people run coax along the baseboard to get it where it needs to go, who cares if its all the way to the other side of the room? Ugh! Sorry, my pet peeve for per wiring houses. Some do great,others, not so much.

#60 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

Is Mastec considered "in house", 3rd party or private?

Are they who DirecTV uses to install systems when you order from DirecTV in certain areas?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...