Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Adding HR34 to my current set up

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spartacvs

spartacvs

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

I just have a few questions about adding HR34 to my current set up, which is 2 dishes, SWM, Whole Home DVR, 1 HR24, 2 H25 and 2 SD Receivers. The HD DVR is in the master bedroom which is connected to a deca I think. I'm planning to put the HR34 to the master bedroom and the current HD DVR to the living room and transfer the H25 from the living room to the other bedroom which has an SD receiver and send back the SD receiver to Directv.

1. Would there be any changes in wiring the HR34 in the master bedroom and also the living room? basically, is it just a matter of connecting the same wires that are connected to my current receivers?

2. After adding the HR34, I will now have 2 HD DVRs. Will the cost be the same or is it 2 DVR fees which is going to be $16?

3. When I transfer the HR24 to the living room, does this need an internet connection?

4. Can I access the recordings both from the HR34 and HR24 in my H25 receiver?

Thanks,

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

I just have a few questions about adding HR34 to my current set up, which is 2 dishes, SWM, Whole Home DVR, 1 HR24, 2 H25 and 2 SD Receivers. The HD DVR is in the master bedroom which is connected to a deca I think. I'm planning to put the HR34 to the master bedroom and the current HD DVR to the living room and transfer the H25 from the living room to the other bedroom which has an SD receiver and send back the SD receiver to Directv.

1. Would there be any changes in wiring the HR34 in the master bedroom and also the living room? basically, is it just a matter of connecting the same wires that are connected to my current receivers?

2. After adding the HR34, I will now have 2 HD DVRs. Will the cost be the same or is it 2 DVR fees which is going to be $16?

3. When I transfer the HR24 to the living room, does this need an internet connection?

4. Can I access the recordings both from the HR34 and HR24 in my H25 receiver?

Thanks,

• seems like you'll simply need to change the type of SWiM, since you'll have more than 8 tuners.
  • The DVR fee is per account, so it won't increase.
  • If you have a CCK to your current coax networking, it's shared with all the receivers connected.
  • With MRV all the recordings can be share, "though" this is some concern with the current software that may cause problems until the next update comes out.

A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   spartacvs

spartacvs

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:08 PM

How do I have more than 8 tuners? I was thinking just 7 tuners. Regarding MRV, the recordings from HR34 is not accessible in my H25?

Thanks,

#4 OFFLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:38 PM

HR34 = 5 tuners
HR24 = 2 tuners
2 H25s = 1 tuner each

Total tuners is 9.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

How do I have more than 8 tuners? I was thinking just 7 tuners. Regarding MRV, the recordings from HR34 is not accessible in my H25?

Thanks,

By the time you get things installed, it may not be a worry.
The HR34 should work now, and the HR24 should work, but the HR24 to HR34 was what is in work to be fixed.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   spartacvs

spartacvs

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I just called Directv and asked for HR34 and she quoted me the regular price of $399 + $49 installation fee so I asked for retentions. The lady from retentions at first gave me the same price and instead offered me the HR24 but I said I want the HR34. In the end she took $250 off so my total is just over $200. But I wasn't finished, she gave me free Showtime for 6 months after I told her my free Showtime of 1 year expired and Homeland is coming up next month. :) Installation is this coming Wednesday.

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,296 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:32 PM

Just added the '34 to my set up, retiring a well used and very solid HR20-700. I have also an HR24, and two 'H25s, but one is deactivated. So 8 tuners; maxed out on my current SWiM.

Question: If one were sure he would never use both 25s at once, could they share a wire via a splitter?

Anyway, hope I'll get smart overnight, and be able to actually help with others who are new to the HMC.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:56 PM

Question: If one were sure he would never use both 25s at once, could they share a wire via a splitter?

To do it, you'll be power cycling everything.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:57 PM

You would have to unplug (completely unpower) the unused H25. Doing that, this would work. It will take the H25 a few minutes to come back up to operational when you power it up. Also, it will take it a while to regain guide data beyond the first couple of hours.

In order to use whole-home, you'll need to power cycle the entire system as VOS noted.

#10 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

Couldn't he also run the HR34 with only 4 tuners active, or set the HR24 to single tuner mode so he is only unsing 8 tuners? Obviously this wouldn't be the DirecTV supported way to do it but it should work right?
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

HR24 in single tuner mode is more predictable. HR34 will grab as many tuners as it can so if it boots before HR24 it will grab 5 and then there will be a 771b/776 error.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,296 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

Thanks, Gents, all.

Looks like it'd be easier to swap in a box than to try to use two. It is for the time being, anyway, hypothetical for my set up, though others may also learn from this part of the discussion.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...