Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Upgrade - Need a Parts Shopping List

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:59 AM

Hey Guys,

I have an HR34 ordered. I have a existing 5lnb on the roof, with a 4 lines that run into the wiring closet. I currently use a pair of HR21/100. Both are connected to internet via ether. Not currently using Whole Home.

So I want to replace one of the HR21 with the HR34. But it appears I need to change how my wiring works, so I need to go with a Swm configuration.

After some reading it seems I need the following items on my shopping list:
1) 5lnb SWM (LNB only no dish needed)
2) SwM8 Multi Switch
3) Power Injector.

So it seems with adding the 3 pieces of equipment listed the HR34 should start working. But what do I need for the HR21? Do I just run 2 lines to it? or do I run one line and then split it ? This is what is confusing me. What other pieces do I need to buy?

And the other secondary issue, is this HR34 update is going on the front of the first story of the house.

The second story back of the house uses a second dish to feed the upstairs receivers. These HD DVR are connected via ethernet to the house network.

If I connect the new HR34 to the Ether will it do whole home with my upstairs DVR's ?

Thanks in advance,

Dave B

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:08 AM

Hey Guys,

I have an HR34 ordered. I have a existing 5lnb on the roof, with a 4 lines that run into the wiring closet. I currently use a pair of HR21/100. Both are connected to internet via ether. Not currently using Whole Home.

So I want to replace one of the HR21 with the HR34. But it appears I need to change how my wiring works, so I need to go with a Swm configuration.

2) SwM8 Multi Switch
3) Power Injector.

So it seems with adding the 3 pieces of equipment listed the HR34 should start working. But what do I need for the HR21? Do I just run 2 lines to it? or do I run one line and then split it ? This is what is confusing me. What other pieces do I need to buy?

And the other secondary issue, is this HR34 update is going on the front of the first story of the house.

The second story back of the house uses a second dish to feed the upstairs receivers. These HD DVR are connected via ethernet to the house network.

If I connect the new HR34 to the Ether will it do whole home with my upstairs DVR's ?

Thanks in advance,

Dave B

SWM LNB is a multiswitch and LNB in one. You cannot use a SWM LNB and a SWM 8.

If you're doing this as a DIY just order a SWM 8 and connect the 4 lines from your dish you have now into it. Then use a 1x2 splitter to run 1 line into the 34 and the 21. The PI is on it's own cable since you'll have it in a closet.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,233 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:58 AM

[quote name='o2manyfish']
--OR--
2) SwM8 Multi Switch
-- and --
3) Power Injector.
[/QUOTE]
One or the other, but not both.
[QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
Not a supported configuration, but yes it will work.

[/QUOTE]

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

To be clear, there is an LNB with a SWM built in, and a different one that allows you to use an external SWM. The one with the SWM built in will give you a maximum of 8 tuners, while if you go with an LNB and an external SWM, you can upgrade later to a 16-tuner SWM or even more with additional parts.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

Okay,

So I need an SWM 8, the power injector, and a splitter. And my old HR21 can work off of a single cable ?

Dave

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

Yes it can. You will need to take the B-Band converters off. Also, to communicate with the HR34 you will need a DECA attached to the back. If you don't want to communicate with it, you will need a Band Stop Filter on the back
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...