Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Gone!

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:11 AM

After 12 years, I am leaving D*!

Deciding factors include;

-post card received for 'Free HD for 24 months', then noticing credit was off my bill(after 3 calls to CSRs was told each time that Free HD was no longer offered, and an email to 'Customer Advocate Team' who offered 12 months credit for HD on my bill, and then gave me the 'guilt trip' speech for calling about it. Also told me D* didn't have to give me anything.....and that D* 'never promised to be the least expensive service').

-SLOW response DVRs(tried several times to get an upgrade, but to no avail).

-$110 D* each month vs. $39.99 with cable company(with FREE HD, locked in for a year).

Congrats D*! I was your customer to lose, and you succeeded!
Charter Digital Cable(w/FREE HD)
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Mitsubishi WD-65738 via HDMI(through Yamaha RX-V673)-networked w/Buffalo WAP
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Dynex DX-32L150A11 via HDMI

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:15 AM

Go boldly, sdicomp. :)

It's only TV. If you could get a better deal, you were wise to take it.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:23 AM

Goodbye and good luck.

#4 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:51 AM

Goodbye.
Go Big Red!!!

#5 OFFLINE   kash

kash

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:17 AM

as a person that just switched to directv, from comcast/u-verse.. have a great time, make sure you sign a contract. They will change rates after your promotion is done. One of the things i really like about directv is the interface.

#6 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:59 AM

as a person that just switched to directv, from comcast/u-verse.. have a great time, make sure you sign a contract. They will change rates after your promotion is done. One of the things i really like about directv is the interface.

Goes up $20 after the first year.....still a $50 savings!
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Mitsubishi WD-65738 via HDMI(through Yamaha RX-V673)-networked w/Buffalo WAP

#7 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:44 AM

After 12 years, I am leaving D*!

Deciding factors include;

-post card received for 'Free HD for 24 months', then noticing credit was off my bill(after 3 calls to CSRs was told each time that Free HD was no longer offered, and an email to 'Customer Advocate Team' who offered 12 months credit for HD on my bill, and then gave me the 'guilt trip' speech for calling about it. Also told me D* didn't have to give me anything.....and that D* 'never promised to be the least expensive service').

-SLOW response DVRs(tried several times to get an upgrade, but to no avail).

-$110 D* each month vs. $39.99 with cable company(with FREE HD, locked in for a year).

Congrats D*! I was your customer to lose, and you succeeded!

On a related note, Comcast just raised prices to customers....FOR THE SECOND time in the same year.

http://www.ajc.com/n...this-yea/nR6fN/

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

Bye!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

On a related note, Comcast just raised prices to customers....FOR THE SECOND time in the same year.

http://www.ajc.com/n...this-yea/nR6fN/

Don't have Comcast....besides, my prices are guaranteed in writing for 2 years....with NO commitment.

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

I respect everyone who makes an active choice in managing his or her budget. Congrats, sdicomp, you are very lucky to live in an area where cable is so much less expensive. Around here it's Time Warner, and they don't have a package comparable to what I have at home; their closest package would drop me down to 1 DVR and 1 cable box (no multi-room), drop about 25 channels from me, and raise my bill $30/month.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

Goes up $20 after the first year.....still a $50 savings!

Are you getting the same programming you had with DIRECTV and also two HD DVR's and it's $50/month cheaper even after the promo expires? If that's the case you're one of the exceptions since usually cable prices out higher when comparing apples to apples.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#12 OFFLINE   Ranger12

Ranger12

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

Good luck. I will never go back to Charter for my TV. Horrible customer service and their price and HD selection can't match DirecTV. I wish I had another way to get high speed internet in my area, or I would not have Charter at all.
My setup

Former Quality Assurance Advisor (escalations desk and advanced equipment) and customer service Team Leader for DirecTV.

#13 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

One of the many reasons I bolted to Satellite from Cable was Time Warner's (NYC Manhattan carrier) inability to have a DVR that would last longer than a year without phantom recordings breaking it. And the HDD wasnt even overflowing full.. It gave me a phobia to this day that I've had Directv since 2005 and I've never wanted or longed for a DVR..when i came on board with SD it was a standard SD non DVR and then in 2008 with an H21 NON DVR to which I still have to this day..

Plus the cliche' of leaving providers for another isn't the answer, hardly applies to Time Warner's inability to land NFL network some 7 years after I left them...so f cable I left them for channels they don't carry and DVR's that failed like clockwork..Only thing I kept from Time Warner is high speed internet... that's a 49$ bill that pains their *** each time I get a call from a Time Warner CSR asking why I don't upgrade to a better package that involves TV..

your story of prices kinda not being honored or an "alright already" kind of attitude from the CSR for a semi bait & switch maneuver from their part are quite legitimate reasons to cast them off, and I wish you well. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise...Your wallet, your likes, your opinions are all yours..

good luck..

#14 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

Are you getting the same programming you had with DIRECTV and also two HD DVR's and it's $50/month cheaper even after the promo expires? If that's the case you're one of the exceptions since usually cable prices out higher when comparing apples to apples.

Apples to Apples from programming and equipment in my area, cable is about $25 cheaper.

I almost switched this year. Downside is D*'s DVRs are still far ahead of what they are offering for cable in my area and no ST. I did not switch because of those two factors and D* stepped up with a discount to match the price.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#15 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

I switched from DirecTV to FiOS 11 months ago. Comparable service at $40 less for the first 12 months and $20 less for the next 12 months.

Much faster DVR response to remote commands and much bigger hard drive -- 500 gb vs 300 gb.

Verizon's VOD blows away DirecTV's offerings. HD PQ is about the same on my 40-inch Sony but SD looks much better with FiOS.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#16 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,169 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

... and much bigger hard drive -- 500 gb vs 300 gb.

I wouldn't call that "much bigger", and in fact most of DirecTV's current DVRs are 500 GB, with the HR34 being 1TB. Also you an use an external drive up to 2GB if you wish to.

However, that single factor is but one of several you mention, and it is good that you are happy with your current provider.

#17 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

I respect everyone who makes an active choice in managing his or her budget. Congrats, sdicomp, you are very lucky to live in an area where cable is so much less expensive. Around here it's Time Warner, and they don't have a package comparable to what I have at home; their closest package would drop me down to 1 DVR and 1 cable box (no multi-room), drop about 25 channels from me, and raise my bill $30/month.

How many HD channels do they offer? If they're anything like Charter (locally), it's not even close.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#18 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,221 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

I can not fault someone for wanting to save a few bucks. I wish you luck and happiness with your new choice for television.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#19 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

I wouldn't call that "much bigger", and in fact most of DirecTV's current DVRs are 500 GB, with the HR34 being 1TB. Also you an use an external drive up to 2GB if you wish to.

However, that single factor is but one of several you mention, and it is good that you are happy with your current provider.

And of course encoding makes a difference, if they use MPEG2. TWC's 25 hours on their regular DVR just wouldn't do it for me.

#20 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

I wish I had options here. "Viable" options anyway. Time Warner pixelates badly everywhere I have seen it. uVerse has a flat look to it when I see it at my mom's. Dish's pissing contest with AMC Networks is a deal breaker.

I dont dislike Directv by any means. Love it in fact. It would still be nice to have an apples to apples choice.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

Protected By... spam firewall...And...