Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Gone!

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:34 AM

-SLOW response DVRs(tried several times to get an upgrade, but to no avail).

Ya all that garbage is slow..... I dont have OR WANT any of it...

I just want BASIC TV like i have always had... None of this HD crap,3D-TV,etc..... Its all useless trash!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:43 AM

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I had cable TV (i still have their Internet) since the beginning of time. In May i switched to DirecTV because TWC was charging me about $140 a month (without Internet). Because of all my discounts including "Refer a Friend", i am paying about $45 a month for the 1st year and about $65 for the 2nd. Now, i do realize i don't have DVR etc, but i never did with TWC. In case anyone is wondering, yes, i used to have the TOTL package with TWC, however, with all these freebies, including 3 months free premiums, and now 3 months free of HD Extra Pack, and free Sunday Ticket Max...well, i'm in heaven. I am a proud owner of Directv Ultimate.

#23 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:22 AM

I just want BASIC TV like i have always had... None of this HD crap,3D-TV,etc..... Its all useless trash!!

Is color OK?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#24 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:28 AM

How many HD channels do they offer? If they're anything like Charter (locally), it's not even close.

Over 100, and it is Charter. They have the ones I my wife and I watch, so that is all that really matters. DVR's have 70 hours of recording time.
Charter Digital Cable(w/FREE HD)
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Mitsubishi WD-65738 via HDMI(through Yamaha RX-V673)-networked w/Buffalo WAP
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Dynex DX-32L150A11 via HDMI

#25 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:37 AM

Are you getting the same programming you had with DIRECTV and also two HD DVR's and it's $50/month cheaper even after the promo expires? If that's the case you're one of the exceptions since usually cable prices out higher when comparing apples to apples.

I have ALL the programming we WATCH. So far, the channel line up is comparable to D*. After 2 years, it will go to their 'regular' price, which form what I am told will be an additional $20.00. Still, that will be $30.00 less that I am paying now!

Since my price is locked for 2 years, I will stay where I am. I can, after the 2 years are up, always go back to D*, and get one of those 'new customer' deals that those of us who have been with them for years can ONLY read and hear about!
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Mitsubishi WD-65738 via HDMI(through Yamaha RX-V673)-networked w/Buffalo WAP

#26 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:40 AM

Over 100, and it is Charter. They have the ones I my wife and I watch, so that is all that really matters. DVR's have 70 hours of recording time.

Surprised its that cheap, If I wanted over $100 HD channels with Blue Ridge cable it would cost me over $145 with an HD DVR. $14.90 addtional for each room with an HD DVR.

Our Basic Plus with the Screw in cable in the back of the tv with NO HD is over $70 per month.

#27 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:09 AM

You got to try it, you can always come back later as a new customer.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#28 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

After 12 years, I am leaving D*!

Deciding factors include;

-post card received for 'Free HD for 24 months', then noticing credit was off my bill(after 3 calls to CSRs was told each time that Free HD was no longer offered, and an email to 'Customer Advocate Team' who offered 12 months credit for HD on my bill, and then gave me the 'guilt trip' speech for calling about it. Also told me D* didn't have to give me anything.....and that D* 'never promised to be the least expensive service').

-SLOW response DVRs(tried several times to get an upgrade, but to no avail).

-$110 D* each month vs. $39.99 with cable company(with FREE HD, locked in for a year).

Congrats D*! I was your customer to lose, and you succeeded!

IS that before or after the add in all the monthly fees for our equipment?

#29 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:31 PM

I have ALL the programming we WATCH. So far, the channel line up is comparable to D*. After 2 years, it will go to their 'regular' price, which form what I am told will be an additional $20.00. Still, that will be $30.00 less that I am paying now!

Since my price is locked for 2 years, I will stay where I am. I can, after the 2 years are up, always go back to D*, and get one of those 'new customer' deals that those of us who have been with them for years can ONLY read and hear about!

Well, that's definetly not the same charter cable service in my area! :)

#30 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

Neighbor here just got rid of DirecTv for Xfinity and also got that $39.95 price, including one HD DVR. I think if they know you are leaving DirecTv (or maybe DISH as well) they are throwing in the DVR free for the year. My bill is also $39.95 ($59.95 second year option) with Free HD, but I already had two lifetime Tivo's, so I never asked them about the box rental to see if I could get that free. Heck, they credit me $2.50 a month for owning my own box :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#31 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:18 AM

$39.99 is with DVR fees. My total bill with 2 HD DVRs, phone and 30mb internet is $129.95(I added the $10.00 Sports Tier for football NFL Net & RedZone). Paying $110 to D* alone, so switching was a 'no-brainer'!

#32 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:19 AM

Well, that's definetly not the same charter cable service in my area! :)

Sorry you don't have what we do! Had it for a week now, and it is ALL they promised when I signed up.

#33 OFFLINE   cyfman

cyfman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:22 AM

At least you have some choices,when you live outside the city limits you have 2 choices.

Directv or Dish I'll stick with Directv :)

#34 OFFLINE   flybynyte

flybynyte

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:48 AM

At least you have some choices,when you live outside the city limits you have 2 choices.

Directv or Dish I'll stick with Directv :)

i am a new sub to Directv. just a week old, as matter of fact. yes, i do live in a small, rural midwest community, and, i do wish there was more competition to keep prices down. i love Directv's interface---especially compared to the cable i had (for approx 6mos; i also had Directv's biggest competitor for about 6yrs+ before that). the cable interface was soooo "cheesy"! :raspberry

#35 OFFLINE   markfp

markfp

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

Time Warner Cable in this area, won't even discuss what the price will be after the initial "new customer" deal is over. They just keep pushing how cheap it will be the first year. I was talking to a salesperson at their booth in a mall recently and when pushed all he would say was that it will be "very competitive" which it turns out not to be. I guess they don't want scare people away.

#36 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,231 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

I looked at TWC when I found out that they were carrying the Pac-12 network and Verizon FiOS wasn't. Price looked competitive until I got to the DVR and set-top boxes prices at TWC -- something like $60 bucks a month extra for one DVR and one set-top box.

I like my USC football games but no thanks!
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#37 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

If one really wants to make an impact, drop all pay TV service :D Enough of us do so, folks would pay attention. Of course, I'm making a few assumptions here, chief among them, antenna HD is fairly widely available, and folks agree with me about the abysmal programming. Those are two pretty hefty assumptions, I guess.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#38 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:51 PM

-post card received for 'Free HD for 24 months', then noticing credit was off my bill(after 3 calls to CSRs was told each time that Free HD was no longer offered, and an email to 'Customer Advocate Team' who offered 12 months credit for HD on my bill, and then gave me the 'guilt trip' speech for calling about it. Also told me D* didn't have to give me anything.....and that D* 'never promised to be the least expensive service').

-$110 D* each month vs. $39.99 with cable company(with FREE HD, locked in for a year).

Am I reading correctly? One of your reasons for leaving was because you were offered a discount? Since cost is a factor I just figured... nevermind.

Just to throw it out there, make sure they define price lock. If it is anything like Dish Network, the programming price was locked but they could still raise the charges on anything else and then make up the lack of cost increase as soon as the 2 years are over. Make sure to protect yourself.

#39 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Am I reading correctly? One of your reasons for leaving was because you were offered a discount? Since cost is a factor I just figured... nevermind.

Just to throw it out there, make sure they define price lock. If it is anything like Dish Network, the programming price was locked but they could still raise the charges on anything else and then make up the lack of cost increase as soon as the 2 years are over. Make sure to protect yourself.

Not the fact I was offered a discount, just the way it was offered("Mr. ****, D* doesn't 'owe' you anything").

Cost factor? Absoloutely!! $120.00 for tv/internet/phone vs. $110 for D* alone.....YOU be the judge!

.....and, as I said, I AM protected, in writing for 2 years!

#40 OFFLINE   midd

midd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

Even though you are "gone" it must be hard for you to let go...

:grin:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...