Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Gone!

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:36 PM

I wish we had choices. My only choices are Dish, TWC, and DirecTV. We had TWC from 1989 until 1999 when we switched to DirecTV. There is no way I would ever go back to TWC, and Dish does not have the programming I want, so DirecTV is my only choice.

I lot can change in 12 years. I'm not endorsing Time Warner, but to judge companies in this business in what things were like more than a decade ago isn't really fair.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

I wish we had choices. My only choices are Dish, TWC, and DirecTV. We had TWC from 1989 until 1999 when we switched to DirecTV. There is no way I would ever go back to TWC, and Dish does not have the programming I want, so DirecTV is my only choice.

I lot can change in 12 years. I'm not endorsing Time Warner, but to judge companies in this business in what things were like more than a decade ago isn't really fair.

Precisely.

I switched from TWC in 1998 and I didn't have any "warm and fuzzy" when I departed. The TWC installer knocked on my door in 2006 pitching triple play and I asked if he could return the following week after I'd researched their HD lineup. No CBS or FOX in HD cinched that choice. In 2009 a TWC tech knocked on my door to let me know they'd upgraded the wiring in my neighborhood, something that there's a snowball's chance in the Bahamas of Verizon doing w/ DSL. After Verizon p*ssed me off one last time in early 2010, I ordered Roadrunner online. Until some company deploys FTTH in my area, I can't see myself switching.

In 1998 I saw TWC as the villain. More than twenty years later I see Verizon in that role. DirecTV...I still feel is a good choice for TV service. I'm just a little tired of the two year commitment at the drop of a hat. You've already recouped your investment in me. Any new equipment I might receive isn't owned anyway. And as I was typing this post I got a call from the Retention. I let them know if I come back I want the HR34. Don't expect it free, so the $99 charge was OK, but they couldn't guarantee my Lifetime DVR service would be reinstated. Appreciate the honestly, but I ended the call right there. Commitment was not brought up, but I'd want that in writing if I'm told there is none.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#63 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

. Don't expect it free, so the $99 charge was OK, but they couldn't guarantee my Lifetime DVR service would be reinstated. Appreciate the honestly, but I ended the call right there. Commitment was not brought up, but I'd want that in writing if I'm told there is none.

Quote from the DirecTv customer service agreement:

If you paid a "lifetime service fee," you will not be charged a fee for your DIRECTV DVR Service as long as you maintain television programming service from DIRECTV on the same account. If you disconnect your DIRECTV television programming service and later reconnect on the same account, your DIRECTV DVR Service will be reconnected and you will not be charged a fee for DIRECTV DVR Service.

http://www.directv.c...tomer_agreement

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#64 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

Interesting. When I cancelled DirecTV several years ago, I told them I would stay if they offered me a no-commitment upgrade to HD. They refused ... insisting any change would trigger a 2-year commitment.

So I have no-commitment service from Comcast. I am happier with the service and the price is lower. And without a commitment, I have been sending my money to Comcast instead of DirecTV for the past 4 years.

It is funny how their offers change! I had to call and cancel service for them to find the 'free hd for 2 years' that the post card I received back in June 'promised'. While I was still their customer, I was told that DirecTV no longer offered free HD, and I 'shouldn't have received the post card'.

No commitment from Charter here, and since my price is locked for 2 years in writing, I will be sending them my money as well. Their internet service is first rate!!
Charter Digital Cable(w/FREE HD)
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Mitsubishi WD-65738 via HDMI(through Yamaha RX-V673)-networked w/Buffalo WAP
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Dynex DX-32L150A11 via HDMI

#65 OFFLINE   Griffs77

Griffs77

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:52 PM

Got to go with what's right for you!

I moved to D* last fall from TWC and locked in free HD for life at the time.

TWC picture quality is CRAP, the HD was pixelated, and the feed would freeze or gray out several times a DAY. After several different boxes, I finally got a TWC rep to admit that the picture quality was never going to improve any time soon because there are hundreds of homes on my line and we all share bandwidth for phone, TV and internet, and the compression software could not overcome that limitation. She actually wished me well with D* as she knew the HD picture quality was going to be much better, and it is.

I keep road runner for internet only, and HD picture quality is WAY more important to me than price (I don't need much anyway, no premium channels for movies or sports).

No Fios (we have crappy Frontier phone not Verizon), so unless TWC went to all fiber optic or Verizon buys out Frontier and builds out Fios, I will be with D* for as long as they keep the satellites beaming.

#66 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,721 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

Pretty safe to say Verizon won't buy Frontier :)

#67 OFFLINE   marker101

marker101

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

If i jumped to cable locally, I'd get a whopping 40 HD channels, including the networks for about $80 a month + $10 per receiver fees. In my case, I'll stick to DirecTV.

#68 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

Got to go with what's right for you!

I moved to D* last fall from TWC and locked in free HD for life at the time.

TWC picture quality is CRAP, the HD was pixelated, and the feed would freeze or gray out several times a DAY.

Don't know if you're in an area where SDV wasn't deployed, but I'm in one where it is. I compared the two systems side-by-side when I still had DirecTV active and TW fared pretty well. And now that the NFL Network is on TWC all the pieces are in place as far as I'm concerned. I've been a critic of TWC in the past, but it's pretty clear to me they've got their game face on.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#69 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

Yep. SDV has solved most of the PQ and bandwidth issues cable has had in the past. All I've seen looks as good or better than DirecTV, especially if you consider SD as well. I wouldn't touch cable a few years ago, but things have changed a lot recently, making them an excellent alternative to satellite in many areas.

I'm very happy with the media center system I have. I have a 4 tuner cable card device in a cheap PC and an Xbox (or other extender) at every TV to watch live TV or recordings. The DVR interface is beautiful, recording space is virtually unlimited, I can easily transfer anything to DVD or BD and access all my other media, and remote viewing of all my content and live tv, all for a grand total of $2/month in equipment fees. Plus I have more HD and better SD than I had with DirecTV or Dish.

#70 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

Yep. SDV has solved most of the PQ and bandwidth issues cable has had in the past. All I've seen looks as good or better than DirecTV, especially if you consider SD as well. I wouldn't touch cable a few years ago, but things have changed a lot recently, making them an excellent alternative to satellite in many areas.

I'm very happy with the media center system I have. I have a 4 tuner cable card device in a cheap PC and an Xbox (or other extender) at every TV to watch live TV or recordings. The DVR interface is beautiful, recording space is virtually unlimited, I can easily transfer anything to DVD or BD and access all my other media, and remote viewing of all my content and live tv, all for a grand total of $2/month in equipment fees. Plus I have more HD and better SD than I had with DirecTV or Dish.

That's a big turnaround for Charter. My father-in-law had them years ago and they were the pits.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#71 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,552 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

Yep. SDV has solved most of the PQ and bandwidth issues cable has had in the past.

What has cured the PQ and bandwidth problems is replacing most of the analog channels with digital versions.

I'm not convinced that TWC isn't mostly fiber. Fiber is overrated if you use it with QAM as FIOS does.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall