Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hr-24 frustrations.....

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RGoldman

RGoldman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

Sorry for the confusion. I connected the optical cable from the Hr-24 to my A/V receiver. The HDMI cable from the HR-24 goes directly to the TV now. Sound is the same with either the optical to the AVR or HDMI to AVR so that is not an issue.
We have had to lengthy power outages in the last 5 days so the receiver has been "reset" a couple of times this week. We'll see how it does for the next few days and if that cleared up the issues or not.
As far as taking a year for them to send me a new receiver, it had nothing to do with my setup but rather taking the time to deal with the customer service people. It was more convenient to just rest the receiver every morning than go through 30 minutes of being on hold and having someone read off a script on what should fix it. I was finally able to take the time to get the issue escalated to the next level of CS a few weeks ago and get things moving.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   barkmanusd

barkmanusd

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:02 AM

I have an unique take on this problem as I have 2 almost identical systems.
SYSTEM 1: Pioneer Elite Receiver VSX24 HD & 3D. -- 65” Panasonic HD/3D Tv, -- Monster HD/3d hdmi cables, -- DIRECTV HR24 / 100 (running 0x5d2)
SYSTEM 2: Pioneer Elite Receiver VSX24 HD & 3D. -- 65” Samsung HD/3d Tv, -- Monster HD/3d hdmi cables -- DIRECTV HR24 / 200 (running 0x5d2)

All 2011 & mostly 2012 models I purchased new this summer.
SYSTEM 1 has the same TV turn off issues when volume, (or most any other controls which affect thru-put via HDMI are tinkered with! It also can happen without touching the remote(s) depending on the DIRECTV scene currently showing.)

System 2 works fine & has never failed!

The difference appears to be ox5d2 does not work on a hd24 / 100 box BUT does work on a hd24 / 200!! I’ve put together several other less specific examples from several blogs and all lead to the same conclusion. I’m sure it applies to other DirecTV release combinations as well.

#23 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,951 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:31 AM

Sorry for the confusion. I connected the optical cable from the Hr-24 to my A/V receiver. The HDMI cable from the HR-24 goes directly to the TV now. Sound is the same with either the optical to the AVR or HDMI to AVR so that is not an issue.
We have had to lengthy power outages in the last 5 days so the receiver has been "reset" a couple of times this week. We'll see how it does for the next few days and if that cleared up the issues or not.
As far as taking a year for them to send me a new receiver, it had nothing to do with my setup but rather taking the time to deal with the customer service people. It was more convenient to just rest the receiver every morning than go through 30 minutes of being on hold and having someone read off a script on what should fix it. I was finally able to take the time to get the issue escalated to the next level of CS a few weeks ago and get things moving.

Are you using one remote or two? Could there be conflicting commands between the AVR remote and the DirecTV remote?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#24 OFFLINE   RGoldman

RGoldman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

Only using the directv remote. Woke up to a frozen receier once again today. Nothing but a strange green flashing apttern on the screen requiring a reset once again. Been on the phone trying to get through to an intelligent person for the last hour. No luck yet. I am on hold once again....

#25 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,951 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

Only using the directv remote. Woke up to a frozen receier once again today. Nothing but a strange green flashing apttern on the screen requiring a reset once again. Been on the phone trying to get through to an intelligent person for the last hour. No luck yet. I am on hold once again....

And this is the second receiver where this is happening? And you are now HDMI'd from the DVR to the TV? Have you tried another TV?

Can you post a photo of this strange pattern?

#26 OFFLINE   RGoldman

RGoldman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

I will take a photo next time it happens. CS is now telling me it must be my TV that is the problem rather than their equipment. They had me connect component cables rather than hdmi to see if that fixes it. Came home tonight to find the receiver frozen but with nothing, no picture, no sound, completely unresponsive to remote or front panel. Another reset. Next step is to move the receiver into a different room with a different TV and see what happens. If it freezes up in there, then I have no idea what they will do. Running out of possible ideas as to what would be causing this. Certainly not happy with a year remaining on my contract and no solution in sight.

#27 OFFLINE   RGoldman

RGoldman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

The component cables didn't make a difference. Still locked up twice in two days. Moved the receiver into a secondary room and brought the one in there into my living room this afternoon. Having the DVR in a different room is not that big of a deal but the lag in the FF and 30 second jump really sucks. Sure hope this problem gets figured out soon. If they can't come up with anything, it's going to be another long year of daily resets until I can switch companies.

#28 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,912 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

The component cables didn't make a difference. Still locked up twice in two days. Moved the receiver into a secondary room and brought the one in there into my living room this afternoon. Having the DVR in a different room is not that big of a deal but the lag in the FF and 30 second jump really sucks. Sure hope this problem gets figured out soon. If they can't come up with anything, it's going to be another long year of daily resets until I can switch companies.

Why not replace it?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#29 OFFLINE   RGoldman

RGoldman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:21 PM

It was just replaced and now they are telling me it must be a problem with my TV since there is no way they could have sent me another defective receiver.

#30 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

It was just replaced and now they are telling me it must be a problem with my TV since there is no way they could have sent me another defective receiver.

There are hard numbers on whether a DVR will be defective when it arrives, or shortly after being in service. Odds are pretty low, but it happens. I'm living proof that it happens.

Whether you might have had 10 bad ones in a row does not change the odds on whether the next one will be defective, just like if you flip a coin and it lands heads 10 times in a row, the odds of it landing heads the 11th time are still approximately 50-50. Bottom line, the odds of you getting a defective receiver this time around are the same as anyone else who replaces a receiver.

So yes, it might be your setup, but the "no way" impossibility of serial defective DVRs is total BS.

Good luck.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#31 OFFLINE   RGoldman

RGoldman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

The big problem is trying to get CS to understand that. At this point, they are not giving me a lot of choices other than basically telling me to go buy a new TV and see if that fixes it. I am waiting to see if the DVR receiver locks up in the other room as it is connectd to a 3 month old TV in that room. If it does lock up in there as well, they will have to come up with something other than my living room tv being the problem. Should only take a couple of days to find out one way or the other.
I am pretty sure the component connections do not have the same issues that HDMI connections can have with the HDCP and I wouldn't expect my TV to be able to somehow lock up the receiver while using them but that is what they are still leaning towards as the answer.

#32 OFFLINE   cody21

cody21

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

Same issue going on with me. We did the "MOVE" pkg in July 2012. The tech replaced our flawless HR20-700 (or 100?) with a new HR24/500 ... It was working fine for about a month. Then all of the sudden we started getting the "freeze/lockups", Pause will occasionally freeze to the point where we have to switch channels to get the receiver to respond again (hence losing everything Paused). The only way to get it back from the lockup/freeze is to pull the power and let it reset itself.

Int Temp = 110
we're using IR remote
No network of any sort being used
S/W update was July 10, 2012

This really sucks and has become more frequent - for a unit that is only 2 months old installed.

#33 OFFLINE   RGoldman

RGoldman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

I moved the DVR into a different room where it didn't get used for a week other than to record and then replay shows on different tv. It was never turned off and it didn't freeze all week. The HD receiver(non dvr) from the other room was moved into the main viewing room where the DVR had been and connected exactly how the DVR had been when it was freezing up and worked all week without a single problem. The annoying part is the long pauses when using FF and 30 second skip while viewing recorded material with the DVR in a different room.
I moved the DVR back into the main room last night and had a lockup within an hour. This absolutely makes no sense that it freezes up but the non dvr receiver works perfectly. If they could fix the delay when viewing recorded material, I would make the switch permanent but it seriously bothers me and I pay extra for a DVR and would like it to work properly.

#34 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,951 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

@ cody

Have you tried a menu reset instead of pulling the plug?

If you do two such within 30 minutes, the entire Guide cache will be flushed, which can sometimes make a difference.

How much free space have you?

If using Pause to save a place tends to lose things, hit R before doing so until that gets straightened out.

#35 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,951 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

Mr. Goldman-

How long are these delays? 30SKIP or 30SLIP?

How are you networked?

HDMI now on both?

#36 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

Cody, you might also want to check to see if your getting drive errors. What you can do is do a menu reset and while the box is booting back up again when you see the running self test screen press select on the remote, this takes you to the test menus. I don't remember the exact names but you want something like internal component tests and then HDD or hard drive test. You migth try the surface scan test, if it sees any error it will try to correct them. That test can take 90 minutes and I wouldn't interruput it while it's running, I did that once and it bricked the receiver.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#37 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

I moved the DVR into a different room where it didn't get used for a week other than to record and then replay shows on different tv. It was never turned off and it didn't freeze all week. The HD receiver(non dvr) from the other room was moved into the main viewing room where the DVR had been and connected exactly how the DVR had been when it was freezing up and worked all week without a single problem. The annoying part is the long pauses when using FF and 30 second skip while viewing recorded material with the DVR in a different room.
I moved the DVR back into the main room last night and had a lockup within an hour. This absolutely makes no sense that it freezes up but the non dvr receiver works perfectly. If they could fix the delay when viewing recorded material, I would make the switch permanent but it seriously bothers me and I pay extra for a DVR and would like it to work properly.

Have you tried turning just the TV off when it freezes and give it a few minutes to see if the receiver will work again ?

This might be a lot of trouble but might be worth the try.
Switch the TVs instead of the receivers since it works in the other room.
I still think it is IR interference from the TV. IR can freeze up the receiver.

When this receiver that is freezing up was in the room and did not freeze, was it going thru an AV receiver there also ?
Have you tried bypassing the AV in the main room and see if it works ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#38 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

Try running rf on the DVR for a week or two.

#39 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

I agree, you need to rule out IR interference. There are TV models that or notorious for causing those kinds of problems. If your remote control is an RF capable remote (look for an FCC sticker on the bottom), then you can change it from IR to RF and try that for a few days to see if it makes a difference. You might also try covering the IR sensor on the DVR (black electrical tape usually works well to do this).

#40 OFFLINE   RGoldman

RGoldman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

So I've made it two weeks without a reset! At this point, the only thing I can explain as the cause is the off air tuner. When I first disconnected the usb cable from the HR-24, I was still having issues with the receiver locking up so I did not think it was the problem. After changing my receivers around, it worked fine with the HD receiver for a week so I moved teh DVR back into the living room and it froze up immediately. I then pulled the off air tuner completely out of my component stand and have not had a problem since then. No idea why it works on the HD receiver but not not the DVR. Also unfortunate that you have to pay $50 for the off air tuner and it won't work with the HR-24 like it is supposed to.

spam firewall