Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Install-HD DVR question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   manny07

manny07

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just signed back up with Directv and have a question regarding Whole Home service. I was set up with three receivers, one HD-DVR and two HD receivers. My question is that when I try to rewind live TV on one of the HD receivers it does not allow it. I can record something and then rewind it but I cannot rewind live TV on the HD receivers.

I called customer service today and they told me that I needed another HD DVR receiver in order to rewind live TV. I said sure no problem give me another one and they told me that it would cost me $199. Is this correct? I have the protection plan and I thought this was covered. I just had my service installed yesterday.

When I go build my order again on the Directv website they are only charging me an extra $99 for an extra HD DVR receiver. Can someone help figure out how to go about this without getting charged for it?

Thanks,

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

A non DVR doesn't have a live buffer.
A.K.A VOS

#3 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,347 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

You should be able to choose a program to record on the DVR from the HD unit. As soon as it starts recording, you can then play it and do all the things a DVR would do.
That is a few extra button presses to get this started.

Adding a DVR is going to cost another $6 per month. I guess you could order it and activate it and then deactivate one of the HD units.

It just does not sound right that it was installed yesterday and they are not willing to change it.
Since you have the Whole Home DVR service there is not even another coax that has to be run.

Each time you call you will get a different person. I would try a couple more times to get one that will tell you an answer that you want to hear.

Good luck.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   manny07

manny07

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

Thanks. I think I will try that. Do you guys know if there is a DIRT member on this board like DISH has?

#5 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

Thanks. I think I will try that. Do you guys know if there is a DIRT member on this board like DISH has?

Everyone here is a "DIRT" member-
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,649 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

I don't think even the public employees are allowed to give specific help like that.

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:52 AM

You have never been able to rewind live tv on non-DVR's.....Directv doesnt install multiple hd-dvrs for free on new or even recent installs, you will need to pay for additional dvrs.

#8 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

Now that you're order was closed out you will need to pay full price to get your receivers swapped out if you want the to be HD DVR's.

The protection plan covers service calls, D&H when replacement receivers need to be sent out, and a few other specific scenarios. It does not cover or have anything to do with upgrading your receivers, in your market, at this time.

Since your order will be $199 for the HD DVR, $50 for an upgrade fee for placing an order within your first 12 months, and $49 for installation (HD DVR's are not drop shipped unless replacing DVR's) you could save yourself some money by ordering one through a third part retailer and just paying the $199 and their shipping charge.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

D* allows one freeHDVR and up to three free HD receivers on new installs and I don't know how many SD receivers. Anything else you need to pay for. That's why they are telling you it will be $199.00 upfront cost for the additional HDVR. Yes the charge is correct.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#10 OFFLINE   manny07

manny07

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

thanks everyone. I was able to get the extra HD DVR receiver for $149 with free installation after talking to the fifth CSR.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,129 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

thanks everyone. I was able to get the extra HD DVR receiver for $149 with free installation after talking to the fifth CSR.

plus another $50.00 on phone charges and time wasted....:lol:

spam firewall